Sponsored by:

955 Turbo S Big Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:25 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts
Default 955 Turbo S Big Brake Kit

I thought I had a lot more time. My TTS is at 87k miles, bought her at 70k. I would have assumed the first brake job would have been done no sooner than 50k miles. Guess I assumed wrong? I thought these things lasted 60k miles, too. Anyway, the brake bad indicator came on today, never seen it before in four 955's owned, but my luck has run out. What's the best solution these days? I don't know if it's just two that need replacement or not yet. Can two be done at a time?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:57 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

start by determining rotor thickness. Find out which pads wore down. It could be the fronts or the rears. You need to do things in pairs front and rear. You don't have to change both front and rear at once if either have life. The previous owner may have done changed them at different times. I doubt both front and rear pads and rotors are at the same level. if you aren't down to minimum thickness on the rotors, technically you could buy some time with a set of pads. Ideally if you did that you would use pads of the exact same compound.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:27 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by endless_corners
start by determining rotor thickness. Find out which pads wore down. It could be the fronts or the rears. You need to do things in pairs front and rear. You don't have to change both front and rear at once if either have life. The previous owner may have done changed them at different times. I doubt both front and rear pads and rotors are at the same level. if you aren't down to minimum thickness on the rotors, technically you could buy some time with a set of pads. Ideally if you did that you would use pads of the exact same compound.
Thanks. Have an appt with an indy tomorrow morning to determine. What thickness is the tipping point for new rotors?
Old 09-01-2015, 10:18 AM
mtotten
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
Thanks. Have an appt with an indy tomorrow morning to determine. What thickness is the tipping point for new rotors?
Be sure to have your Indy check the rotor hat bobbin bolts. I have an '06 Turbo S with 91k and recently did a brake job. After removing the front rotors I noticed three of the bobbin bolts were broken or missing (bobbins still in place). It wasn't apparent until I looked in the back side of the rotor. If any of the bolts are broken they can be checked without removing the rotor by using a small screwdriver or your fingers to "wiggle" the bobbin (on the front side of the rotor). Any easy motion in the bobbin is a likely indicator of a broken bolt.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:19 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Thanks
Old 09-01-2015, 10:20 AM
mtotten
7th Gear

Sorry, 36 mm is limit for front rotor thickness.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:25 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mtotten
Sorry, 36 mm is limit for front rotor thickness.
36mm when adding new pads? And what about the rear? Sorry for all the questions. If adding new pads is going to take the rotors to an unsafe thickness before I get a pad warning light again, I'll replace everything. Looks like ECS has a kit for $2k. Any better deals known?

https://www.ecstuning.com/Cart/?add1...lesrep=rwiesen
Old 09-01-2015, 11:44 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 351 Posts

Sunset Porsche sells the front rotors for $650 each, that's the lowest price I've found.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:43 PM
mtotten
7th Gear

Originally Posted by icspres
36mm when adding new pads? And what about the rear? Sorry for all the questions. If adding new pads is going to take the rotors to an unsafe thickness before I get a pad warning light again, I'll replace everything. Looks like ECS has a kit for $2k. Any better deals known?

https://www.ecstuning.com/Cart/?add1...lesrep=rwiesen
Minimum rotor thickness is 36 mm for the front and I believe 26 mm for the rear. What Porsche is stating is that regardless of whether or not the pad is new the rotor should be replaced if the thickness is below 36 mm (for the front). Now, the rotor is not going to collapse at 35 mm, but he thinner the rotor and pads get, the farther the piston extends out of the caliper. Without getting into too much detail it can lead to piston and caliper issues. With that said, you don't want to put new pads on rotors that are at or "near" their minimum thickness.

On my '06TTS the rotors lasted approx. 90k miles with two pad changes. When I replaced the rotors they were approximately 35.5 mm thick so it was easy to make the decision to replace the rotors. The wear is very dependent on how the vehicle is operated. Your Indy will be able to evaluate you vehicle and help you decide what is best for you based on the condition of the rotors and your driving style. I hope this helps somewhat.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:27 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

That means I guess at 86k miles there's a good chance my rotors have never been replaced.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just pull the wheels and visually check/measure them

I`d be surprised if both the front and rear needed changed at the same time so check both and see how much needs replaced.

As much as I like to keep on top of maintenance I don't believe in fixing things that aint broke. Porsche sets their tolerances for a reason, and like others have said there will be some headroom built in but don't stretch it too far.....
Old 09-01-2015, 09:13 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Getting her checked out tomorrow at 8am local.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:21 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Front rotors $627.44 from Sonnen. Shipping will be high so see if you can get a local dealer to match their price? 95535140161 Left & 95535140261 Right Rotor. I personally recommend EBC Yellow brake pads, others have had mixed luck with Hawks. They Yellows are much cheaper than Porsche pads, perform the same or better and dust slightly less.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:43 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I did my brakes back in January and posted a write-up on my experience, including all specs and torque values. I get that brake pads are a personal preference item, but even so, I think it's hard to improve on the factory pads. Better initial bite when not fully warmed up, and I've never experienced any fade under the most demanding conditions I've thrown at them.

Turbo S Brake Renewal

Last edited by spooltime; 09-02-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:40 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spooltime
I did my brakes back in January and posted a write-up on my experience, including all specs and torque values. I get that brake pads are a personal preference item, but even so, I think it's hard to improve on the factory pads. Better initial bite when not fully warmed up, and I've never experienced any fade under the most demanding conditions I've thrown at them.

Turbo S Brake Renewal
Excellent, thank you. I can't do work like this myself. The indy I am taking it to tomorrow, I really don't know how much experience they have with Cayennes.

Quick Reply: 955 Turbo S Big Brake Kit