Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Becker Online Pro - Anyone Seen Much Detail?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 07:01 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 97 Posts
Question Becker Online Pro - Anyone Seen Much Detail?

I was browsing the Becker site and came across their newest radio, the Becker 7800 Online Pro. This is a unit similar to the Traffic Pro we have seen here in the US, but it's on steriods. WAP browser, SMS, tri-band GSM phone, MP3 player, CD player, CD Changer controller and MMC slot! It utilizes the MOST bus structure so it sounds like it could interchange with the CDR-23 radio found in the Cayenne.

Here's the link:

http://www.becker.de/beckerCC21/www_...sp?language=En

Select the Car Multimedia entry and then click on the 7800 to see the details.

Can any of our European Rennlisters offer any comments on this radio? I wonder if it will make it to the US? Would appreciate any input from those of you fortunate enough to benefit from this kind of technology. Any pricing details would be appreciated as well.

Adrian, ngfan, Michael???????

Toby
Old 09-07-2003, 10:35 PM
FELKER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Online-Pro

The only "official" info on US availability is the order giude for the Carrera GT. It has the "Porsche On-line Pro" as a no cost option. The PCM II is too large to go into the C-GT, and the Becker guy has confirmed, "No PCM II for the C-GT".. Thus, is Porsche wants to offer NAV in a $500,000 car the OnLine Pro is the only MOST unit available...

This is the PCNA released Order guide.

If it is available for the C-GT then there is US software, and the unit will be available through Porsche as a replacement part, if not Tequipment.

NOTE: The GSM Phone format is not supported in the USA... at least as far as I konw....so no phone nor interenet .. Just Nav, MP3, and standard US radio...

This may change.. but by past record, expect it to be limitied in capabilities compared to the Europe version.

The PCM in Europe has a GSM phone which is not offered in the USA>
Old 09-07-2003, 11:18 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, the phone specs listed on the Becker site show it as a tri-band GSM phone. This means it supports 900, 1800 and 1900 Mhz frequencies. The US implementations of GSM fall into the 1900 Mhz flavor, so the phone should work - especially as 3G finally begins to see the light of day. Both ATT Wireless and T-Mobile currently offer 1900 Mhz GSM services here in the U.S. AND, if they DO offer this in the US C-GT's, then you are correct about offering US nav capabilities.

Of course, the web/email side will need to be modified for here in the US - as the documented internet functions reference WEB.DE as the portal. Interestingly enough, this head unit also features Text-to-Speech so it can "read" your SMS messages and email to you.

This could actually be pretty interesting. Would appreciate any additional info anyone can offer.

Toby
Old 09-08-2003, 07:46 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

correct me if I am wrong but isn't this a boxster pictured in the brochure for this head unit? Is it a pic of an earlier version, because I remember Porsche and I think VW as well having this as an early option for vehicles that didn't have 1.5 DIN space avail in the vehicle. What do you think? ...Eric
Old 09-08-2003, 08:22 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

also, I found this which might explain some of this!
Old 09-08-2003, 09:10 PM
FELKER
Racer

The Traffic Pro and Online Pro.. in fact all the Becker aftermarket line is single DIN sized. The Brochure has one in a Boxster..The PCM II is theonly Becker Product that is not single DIN.

The thing to note. ANY radio going into a 2003+ Porsche has to be MOST.... Only the PCM II and CDR23 are MOST...

For use in the Cayenne, I wonder if the Online Pro will accept the Steering wheel controls..
Old 09-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good question. I am going to put in a call to Becker USA and SW Stereo tomorrow to see what info they might be able to offer....
Old 09-09-2003, 01:12 PM
JeffES
Pro

Yes, that's a Boxster in the promo pic.
Let us know what you find out - we're 90 days out from Cayenne ownership, and I'd love to use that unit.
J
Old 09-09-2003, 04:28 PM
ngfan
Instructor

Tony,

I considered to buy the Online Pro for my Cayenne but finally decided to take PCM II. Online Pro has a great bunch of features but I love PCM's large screen and its fast map. And it is available with the telephone module over here.
My little Smart convertible is equipped with the derivate of Traffic Pro (JVC KD-NX1R:

Becker Traffic Pro inside but with different exterior design)

and love it. It is great (constantly receives digital traffic messages which automatically influence the route guidance if there is a traffic jam reported on the planned route).
Online Pro should be even better with its telephone module, mp3 etc. But first production batches had awful software problems. In several German nav system boards, many users complain about these problems and had their models exchanged several (!) times. But with new Navtech software 2.0 (just released), things should get better. I can do a search for you through these boards and update you on the current state of affairs in that matter later this week .

I am not so sure about that whole MOST issue. I called Becker several months ago to ask if PCM II would work with a Becker CD-changer (I wanted to save the premium for that Becker-made Porsche CDC-4). The Becker people denied compatibility between PCM II and any MOST-capable Becker CD changer. Strange, isn't it. Two units, made by the same manufacturer and equipped with the same technology cannot communicate with each other ?
Old 09-12-2003, 09:05 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ngfan,

Any additional info gleaned from our european friends plying the ways with their Online Pro's?? I found this quote on the US Porsche site for the Carrera GT.........

"Among the no-cost options available on the car is a highly sophisticated navigation and audio system. As well as guiding you safely to your destination, this versatile new system provides a powerful accompaniment to the V10 engine in the form of an integrated BOSE® Sound System."

The accompanying picture of the C-GT interior clearly shows a single DIN unit in the dash area above the shifter. It does sorta look like the Online Pro. That said, I'm waiting for my sales person to return from her trip to the U.K. for the Bentley rollout (picture this - she sells Porsches AND Bentleys. In fact, she's one of two authorized Bentley folks that will sell the new toy. What a job........ but I digress). I will check with her and find out about what radio is included in the C-GT. If it's the Online Pro, that means that one could likely buy it from Porsche, or more possibly buy one on eBay and get the right software load from Porsche! As they say on the left coast........

Film at 11!
Old 09-13-2003, 05:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Felker,
With regards to the buttons on the steering wheel, they are on the vehicle CAN bus.
The headunit, amplifier and CD changer are on the MOST (fiber optic) bus. MOST is reserved for infotainment devices. Also, all MY03+ Porsche vehicles are MOST based infotainment systems; there's no going back now!
In a rather unexpected design, the speedometer cluster acts as the gateway between MOST and the CAN bus.
CAN bus is how the headunit (on MOST) knows that you have opened your door and should shut off the radio.
That having been said, there is no technical reason why the headunit being discussed should not work with the steering wheel controls.

Perhaps someone should send an email to Gert at Carnewal regarding price and availability. Gert is usually on top of such things.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:33 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reminder Lewis. BTW, still enjoying the Bose sound in my Cayenne. You did a great job. And thanks for the info on the steering wheel controls. BTW, do you know of anyone doing any kind of bluetooth setup/interface into the MOST bus? A Bluetooth headset with Online Pro would be VERY nice. And if there was a Bluetooth interface, think of the Bluetooth-enabled phones that could plug in! Just a thought.......

Toby
Old 09-14-2003, 01:02 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Toby,
There was recently a meeting held in Germany by the members of the MOST consortium to discuss Phase II of the MOST program; namely aftermarket interface adapters.
They have realized the need for allowing people to interface analog audio sources (iPods, cellphones, nav's etc) onto the MOST ring.
A Bluetooth adapter was mentioned, along with a generic stereo analog input source (primarily for iPod use); however these devices would be at least 2 years away (sorry)

Thanks for the compliment on the Bose amp in the Cayenne. When I drive around in mine, I almost forget the year of 80 hour weeks it took to get it working properly. Even my wife is starting to like it!

If you get a chance, listen to the new 2004 Audi A8L; it has the same amplifier; this car also sounds very nice as well.
Of course, if you can, listen to the Mercedes Maybach, which also has the same amplifier (actually 2 Bose amplifiers; mine and a second analog slave amplifier). I got to drive around in one in Germany, the 18way power adjustable seats in the rear are the most comfortable I have ever experienced. Of course for $400K, it's a toss up between a Carerra GT (which also has my amplifier) or the Maybach......
Old 09-14-2003, 11:09 AM
JeffES
Pro

Toby,
Is that Traci (sp?) in Dallas you're referring to?
J
Old 09-14-2003, 02:38 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeff,

Not, it's Cindy Gatlin. She has arguably one of the better jobs in town..... selling Bentley's and Porsche's in the Park Cities area of Dallas. She told me that she is one of the very few actually authorized to sell some of the various Bentley stuff. I think she was in the UK looking over the new Bentley Continental GT. She just got back yesterday or today, so I plan to call her next week and get the scoop.

And if you are in Dallas looking to buy a Porsche or Bentley, I highly recommend Cindy. As far as I'm concerned, she is my Porsche salesperson till I stop buying them!

TBP

Quick Reply: Becker Online Pro - Anyone Seen Much Detail?