mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well said Chris
Old 01-04-2004, 08:42 AM
Cay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what's up with summer tires on an SUV?

Originally posted by rocketman

The 18" stock wheels come with all season tires (Dunlop or Bridgestone, I forget), the 19" wheels come with Pirelli Pzeros, which are summer tires - snow traction is "N/A".

I don't have any problem with the Pzero's, but we will either have to not drive the cayenne if it snows, or I need to get another set of wheels with winter or all season tires when it starts getting colder.

Actually the only reason it is an issue at all for me, is both of our other cars have ulra high performance tires which are also N/A in the snow.
Hi

Allseason Tires sucks on snow like normal summertires even if they have
this confusing M+S rating and a stock Cayenne comes from factory with Summertires - Allseasons only if you take them on special order.

I also cant understand where the prob is to spend a hell of bucks on a car
and than get scared for 2, 3 K to get a set of rims with pure wintertires???
Did you take your wifey out in a fine restaurant to order a ordinary hamburger???

If you want max performance and safety you need to have different tires for EVERYTHING you want to do: Offroadtires for offroading, Summertires for streetuse in summer and Wintertires on winter, period.

Regarding size in winter its stupid to put wide tires on. Try to brake with 275`s in snow even if this 275`s are winter tires....
Old 07-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Fritz Peyerl
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Gang

I am new to the Cayenne and I have 19" winter tires and 20" summer tires. I am in need of new Summer tires. I have no problem finding tires, but the dealer tells me I should use 275 40R 20 106V "N' rated.
I should not use unrated tires. Porsche specially request's "N" rated.
So what does the "N" rated tire do what the same tire with out "N" does.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Peyerl
Hi Gang

I am new to the Cayenne and I have 19" winter tires and 20" summer tires. I am in need of new Summer tires. I have no problem finding tires, but the dealer tells me I should use 275 40R 20 106V "N' rated.
I should not use unrated tires. Porsche specially request's "N" rated.
So what does the "N" rated tire do what the same tire with out "N" does.
Porsche includes tire testing in the development of their vehicles. Tires which are designed for and have met their specific standards are given an N rating. You can read more about it in the link below. There is disagreement among Porsche enthusiasts over whether the N spec is necessary. Your Porsche dealer will, of course, say they are, but many of us have used the non-N spec variation of a given tire with good results.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=26

Quick Reply: what's up with summer tires on an SUV?