Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's up with summer tires on an SUV?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 02:09 PM
rocketman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's up with summer tires on an SUV?

This is not really a complaint (well, a small one), but does anyone know the reason behind putting high performance summer tires with the 19" wheels?

The 18" stock wheels come with all season tires (Dunlop or Bridgestone, I forget), the 19" wheels come with Pirelli Pzeros, which are summer tires - snow traction is "N/A".

I don't have any problem with the Pzero's, but we will either have to not drive the cayenne if it snows, or I need to get another set of wheels with winter or all season tires when it starts getting colder.

Actually the only reason it is an issue at all for me, is both of our other cars have ulra high performance tires which are also N/A in the snow.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:11 PM
dawktah
Racer

I have the 20" Conti's, so winter tires are a must. The only thing I have yet to decide is whether to get Scorpion A/T vs. Grandtrek WT snow tire. With the all-wheel drive system you would think the A/T should be sufficient in the deepest snow and also would work off-street.

The Cayenne is an on-road performance SUV, thus the summer tires. If you have a chance to go to Cayenne Experience you will see that there is no tire to do everything, yet.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:49 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the 20" Michelin Diamaris on mine - they say they are a on and off-road tire but they don't look like they would like the snow very much.

Any thoughts on these?
Old 09-08-2003, 07:29 PM
JAT
Racer

To get ready for winter weather I bought some 18" wheels with All Weather tires on them. If I put them on my self come winter it will be a pain as the UPS guy said they weighed 75lbs apiece.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:37 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally I NEVER put anything but nice quiet easy-riding summer tires on my cars/SUV (85 Jeep, 92 Jeep, 00 RX, 01 RX. In wintertime I load up a good set of tire chains to carry along and TRUCK ON!

Even with my many years spent in MT the majority of the time, even in winter, one has little need for winter tires.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:37 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

I have seen these tire chains avail for the Cayenne. Do we need these, or will any tire chains do? Do they work well, or is it purely for slow, snowy days?
Old 09-10-2003, 12:39 AM
dawktah
Racer

That would be great but chains are not allowed in Illinois.

rocketman - Its amazing how the tread disappears on the Pzero from 18" to 19"

I now have a Cayenne S service loaner which has Pirelli Zero 255/55 R18. These have more aggressive tread than my old Good-Year Eagles which ran fine on a front wheel drive in snow. May get those for winter 2003-2004, and plan on WT if have problems for 2004-2005.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:52 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

JeffBehr found Toyo M&S tires, that have a high speed rating (usually not found on winter tires) and an incredible wear rating. Not on tirerack, have to go to company website for specs.......

There is a thread on roadfly..........
Old 09-14-2003, 12:55 PM
npplaw
Intermediate

My S has 19's but with Conti's which I think handle just fine for now. When they wear out I want all season tires but the the only 19" all season I have found to fit requires going to 285's (Scorpions) which I do not think is a bad thing?
Old 09-15-2003, 01:12 PM
JAT
Racer

npplaw

When seeing your post about possibly another 19" tire that was All Weather working I got excited and looked into it.

The idea does not look good as the people at Tirerack did not think those tires would work. Their short reply is below:

Hello:

No, these are substantially taller tires in the 285/55/19 size. Use the
size you have with the Continental 4x4 Sport Contact ($275 ea).

Best Regards
Old 09-15-2003, 01:25 PM
npplaw
Intermediate

Thanks...been a little tough finding something that fits I must say. Still, I see a 285/45 19 on the Tire Rack site.....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...rk=1&x=17&y=14 ..

There are two: Bridgestone Turanza ER30 (VR rated BUT summer rated only); and Pirelli Scorpion Zero (VR also BUT all season).
My limited kowledge is that as long as it stays a 45 we'd be OK with the speedo, etc.....still, would appreciate expert confirmation.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:26 PM
JAT
Racer

npplaw,

Thanks - looks like I typed in the wrote #.

Sent another e-mail to Tirerack and quickly received this reply:

Hello:

It's a bit wider and only mildly taller...Will it work?...probably. I can't
guarantee it though. For the 10mm width difference, it's probably not worth
it.

Best Regards
Old 01-03-2004, 08:19 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Any tire is a compromise. A Summer tire provides best performance in Summer, but is useless in Winter snow. An all season tire provides okay performance year-round. Winter tires give best snow performance, but burn up quickly in Summer heat.

So, for best seasonal performance, Summer tires in Summer, snow-only tires in Winter, in areas that get snow.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:22 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Those Porsche T-equipment chains look suspiciosly like they are made by RUD like Land Rovers. My "factory" Range Rover chains retailed at the dealer for $700 or so, got a better grade direct from RUD for about $150.

http://www.rudchain.com/snow/grip4.htm

John
'79 930
Old 01-03-2004, 09:25 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, it's best to maximize the driving performance by having two sets of wheels. 19" or 20" with low profile max performance tires for the summer and 18" wheels with M&S rated tires for winter and or off road use. I am currently on my Scorpion Ice and Snows (M&S) rated on 18's and the traction performance is phenomenal in the snow. When it's dry out on the roads, I sure do miss the low profile summer tires...handling is not nearly as tight and responsive with the M&S tires. In short there is no perfect all season tire. To maximize performance for the dry summer and snowy winter roads you must have two sets of wheels set up accordingly...

Quick Reply: what's up with summer tires on an SUV?