Sponsored by:

Perfect way to tie off gate when hauling

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Popmusic
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfect way to tie off gate when hauling

One of the things that I don't like about manufactures is that sometimes their engineers don't think or live like real people. Most suv's don't have a place to tie off the rear gate when something is sticking out the back of the suv. I thought I would pass on what I use on the Cayenne. If you get some strong thin rope you can slip it into the holes that travel vertically through the black plastic squares located on the side of the tailgate. This works really well. I have hauled 2x4's and long boxes this way, and the gate doesn't flap up and down while you drive down the road. Some ratchet straps on the chrome hooks over the freight, a towel to protect the gate's paint and you are set.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:07 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Under the right conditions CO from the exhaust can be sucked into the passenger compartment with the tailgate open which is why they don't design them to be open whilst driving.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

On my GTS, I have a powered tailgate which limits the amount of travel when hauling long items such as lumber. There's a way to manually and incrementally 'jog' the tailgate down just before contact with the transportable items however there's no real way to keep the gate down at that position; short of tying it down thru the lock catch and around the gate itself.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Why I like having the pop up window in my "ancient" '06....

and a trailer.

Quick Reply: Perfect way to tie off gate when hauling