Sponsored by:

04 Cayenne S - Major problem and lots of minor ones

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 06:00 AM
puunda
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 Cayenne S - Major problem and lots of minor ones

I've got some problems with my car which I'm hoping someone can help me out with. Let's start with the major problem.
Car:
2004 Porsche Cayenne S 4.5l V8
done 95k (km, not miles)

Recently the car has been going into Manual mode. It goes into M1 or M2 (usually M2) whenever you put it in gear. It dosen't got to D1 or D2.
The lights indicating what gear it's on is always on Manual (ie the light between the + and - is always on), but you can't actually change gears using the gear shift. You can change gears using the steering wheel though.
It goes into park, R, and N all ok. Just never into D.
I've done a scan and it says 'Selector lever switch' something ....
I'm hoping it's just a switch problem and not something more major.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2015, 09:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Apparently there is a magnet on the lever assembly that can come unglued and cause this sort of thing. Might take a bit of searching to find the threads but there are some threads out there which reference regluing it.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:08 AM
puunda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Apparently there is a magnet on the lever assembly that can come unglued and cause this sort of thing. Might take a bit of searching to find the threads but there are some threads out there which reference regluing it.
This was exactly what it was.
I ended up opening the unit to find that one of the magnets has broken ... not totally, but instead of being vertical had broke and lying on it's side.
Used some epoxy resin and some sticky tape managed to get it back into place. Sprayed it with silicon lubricant, and now it's working fine.
Very happy. It's saved me so much money.

Also ordered the timing belt today. An after market one by Gates ... I've been told they're very good belts. On order, and should arrive next week. From what I can tell, it's quite straight forward to change the belt, which is next weekend's job.

So ... Next problem ... the big one of the minor problems ... Vibration when stopping (in gear only, no vibration when in N).
I'm almost certain it's the engine mounts ... and I've been quoted $1600 AUD (about $1500 USD) to replace them.
From what I can see on workshop manual, it's a simple matter of undoing some bolts, putting in the new mounts, and putting back the bolts. That seems easy enough.
The question is "How do I hold the engine up to change the mounts?". I don't have all the tools, but what I was thinking was putting the car on ramps at the front, jacking up the engine using a jack and perhaps some pieces of wood to hold the engine place while I change the mounts.
Is this a disaster waiting to happen? Or is it possible? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay?

Thanks in advanced
Old 03-08-2015, 11:14 AM
ciscorp
Advanced

Here is the link to my post on how I replaced my 2006 Cayenne S Motor Mounts which you may find helpful.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ng-down-3.html
Old 03-09-2015, 09:41 AM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by puunda
This was exactly what it was.
I ended up opening the unit to find that one of the magnets has broken ... not totally, but instead of being vertical had broke and lying on it's side.
Used some epoxy resin and some sticky tape managed to get it back into place. Sprayed it with silicon lubricant, and now it's working fine.
Very happy. It's saved me so much money.

Also ordered the timing belt today. An after market one by Gates ... I've been told they're very good belts. On order, and should arrive next week. From what I can tell, it's quite straight forward to change the belt, which is next weekend's job.

So ... Next problem ... the big one of the minor problems ... Vibration when stopping (in gear only, no vibration when in N).
I'm almost certain it's the engine mounts ... and I've been quoted $1600 AUD (about $1500 USD) to replace them.
From what I can see on workshop manual, it's a simple matter of undoing some bolts, putting in the new mounts, and putting back the bolts. That seems easy enough.
The question is "How do I hold the engine up to change the mounts?". I don't have all the tools, but what I was thinking was putting the car on ramps at the front, jacking up the engine using a jack and perhaps some pieces of wood to hold the engine place while I change the mounts.
Is this a disaster waiting to happen? Or is it possible? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay?

Thanks in advanced
I have the same model. Try a few things before you spend that money, though it is almost certainly the mounts. There is a long thread on renntech.org and some solutions that worked for people, but for most in that thread also it was the mounts:

run techron on a tank of gas
new plugs and coils
clean throttle body
relearn throttle response (see below)

put key in ignition and turn it to "ON" (not crank) for 60 seconds, cut it back off for a couple seconds, then crank the car and drive like normal and the car will relearn the throttle response over the next 5 minutes or so. This from the mod at renntech.org. I did it, and it eliminated probably most of my vibration.

I am doing new plugs and coils at next maintenance interval also so we will see.

edit: OK following the link above, there is a link in that thread to the thread I was talking about on renntech.

Quick Reply: 04 Cayenne S - Major problem and lots of minor ones