Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know who makes the parking sensors used by Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Anyone know who makes the parking sensors used by Porsche?

I'm getting newish truck next week and since I've come to really rely on my 955's accurate parking sensors in close quarters, I'd like to get the same type for the truck if they're available as an aftermarket kit. Anyone have clue who made them or if they're sold in the US? I see Bosch sensors on Amazon as individual parts...I need a complete system.

Last edited by DWPC; 07-26-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Somehow I doubt if a complete system is available - since most German manufacturers build their wiring harnesses to the spec of the vehicle build sheet. If PDC's were on the build sheet those wires are in place, if not - they aren't so you'd be left trying to cobble up your own harness.

There are a multitude of aftermarket PDC systems on FleaBay and I suspect Amazon.. some even come with color matched sensors. I've seen some that have an LED indicator head design that is very similar to the one Porsche used. Big problem is figuring out some way to make an aftermarket system with front sensors work when the truck is in Drive (forward).. the rear ones are simple - tie the power source for them to the backup light circuit.

I (and many others) went a different route with an aftermarket backup camera system. Many people have piped the output into their PCM system (a search will turn up some threads on doing this), I went a different route and mounted a display inside the sunglass holder. Mine is "wireless" - meaning you don't have to route a video cable the length of the P!G, you just need switched (off the reverse lights) power to the camera and transmitter unit, and then a power feed to the display (which is turned on automatically when it detects a signal from the transmitter.) The unit I used is a PEAK system.. cheap enough (about $50 from AutoZone on sale..) The camera mounts to the license plate bolts. It required drilling (and priming and painting the edges, then installing a grommet) a small hole behind the license plate to get the camera wiring into the tailgate.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:38 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

'06 CTTS, sensors are Bosch, manufactured in Spain stamped on them.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Taipanic
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many of the aftermarket parking systems, like Laser Elite or Laser Star have the benefit of also jamming incoming laser signals, whatever use that could be good for...
Old 08-09-2014, 05:02 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Taipanic
Many of the aftermarket parking systems, like Laser Elite or Laser Star have the benefit of also jamming incoming laser signals, whatever use that could be good for...
I think we need a second system... just in case

Quick Reply: Anyone know who makes the parking sensors used by Porsche?