Sponsored by:

New 2015 Cayennes announced

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 PM
McQueen993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
With respect to your opinion, staying with the atmo 8 would have been fatal and Porsche saw that. Sales on V8P had become virtually non existent, heavily discounted at best and that was mainly due to the majority of SUV buyers shopping these cars recognizing the diesel as the superior power plant drive wise between the two. The V8P also drunk like a fish when pushed to deliver the same performance of the V6D and therefore became simply uneconomical for this type of car.

The V6T was the most logical way forward, more power, better torque at lower rpms, uses less fuel etc. The diesel (even though not up-rated) will still be prove the better seller and better buy long term than any V8P, or V6TP. The V6P also had to go as it simply didn't perform anywhere near the diesel either and again sucked fuel when driven hard to compete. Sales were virtually non existent as well, needless to add the constant shuffling of the gearbox in finding a gear that would provide adequate sensation was down right annoying.

I think the gen 2 will prove to be equally as good as a seller primarily because those looking for a new SUV will recognize its strengths. It will be mainly the current 958 owners (myself inc) that will not see the motivation to change.
Good points. I have not looked at sales figures but looking at the fuel economy of the Macan Turbo v6 versus a v8 CS the efficiency argument isn't obvious. I am getting between 20 and 22 mpg avg including city driving. Remarkable for a v8. If someone has the fuel economy of the new S please post. I will make up my mind when all the facts are available.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:15 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

v6 will def be out (delayed because insane demand)

macan prices go up soon, demand is severely outweighing supply.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:33 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Has the weight gone up? I missed that ... in which trim/engine?
if this site is to be believed

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/cayenne/958.2/

the 958.1 and 958.2 are 4553lb and 4597lb respectively
Old 07-29-2014, 09:42 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
if this site is to be believed

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/cayenne/958.2/

the 958.1 and 958.2 are 4553lb and 4597lb respectively
Yes you add two turbos and a balance shaft and just because you cut off two cylinders you don't save any weight.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:47 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
I am ordering an S but wish it had the old V8. Why? I don't care about mileage as I just don't drive that many miles to affect me. The TT V6 is more complicated it also is unbalanced because it is a 90 degree block. So they added a balance shaft
to smooth out vibrations. TT, Balance Shaft adds more complexity means more chance of failure. Mercedes had such a shaft and had all kinds of related gear failures. They now build 60 degree V6's that are balanced and don't need a shaft. If you drive the V6 at part throttle the Turbos will not produce any boost and you are running a NA V6. Put your foot in it and you will use almost just as much gas as before.
I never get better than 15 MPG on my 911 around town I don't expect to even get that on my TT Cayenne but I don't care.
I get 17 mpg around town in my 957 TT but I'm never on boost in town.

The general rule of thumb is your burn .5 lb of petrol for every hp per hour. Some engines or more or less efficient but that's the general rule. You put out more work and you use more petrol. There is no magic here.

The advantage of the V6 TT over the 8 as I see it is that you do have the option of lower power / better mpg if you wish. If you don't or you really have managed to get only 15 mpg in a 911 (which model?) maybe you drive even in the city so aggressively that a V8 would work for you the same but not for me and for others.

I doubt I ever got below 20 mpg in either the SC or the 993 - around town. I guess you live in Rapid City
Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
Yes you add two turbos and a balance shaft and just because you cut off two cylinders you don't save any weight.
and all the plumbing and cooling hardware
Old 07-30-2014, 09:40 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Not much change to the styling however....I'd say it has gone back a little more to a 957 with slightly boxier lines and a chunkier front and rear end. They dialed out some of the 958 Nissan Murano look at least. I'm liking the '15.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:24 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by svb
Not much change to the styling however....I'd say it has gone back a little more to a 957 with slightly boxier lines and a chunkier front and rear end. They dialed out some of the 958 Nissan Murano look at least. I'm liking the '15.
Me too. I ordered mine yesterday. S with Air Susp, PDCC, PTV.
+ Premium package etc. No Bose. I just had to stop at $92K
According to the build sheet should be at the dealer Dec 26.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

$92k and a stock radio? Ouch.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:16 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
With respect to your opinion, staying with the atmo 8 would have been fatal and Porsche saw that. Sales on V8P had become virtually non existent, heavily discounted at best and that was mainly due to the majority of SUV buyers shopping these cars recognizing the diesel as the superior power plant drive wise between the two. The V8P also drunk like a fish when pushed to deliver the same performance of the V6D and therefore became simply uneconomical for this type of car.

The V6T was the most logical way forward, more power, better torque at lower rpms, uses less fuel etc. The diesel (even though not up-rated) will still be prove the better seller and better buy long term than any V8P, or V6TP. The V6P also had to go as it simply didn't perform anywhere near the diesel either and again sucked fuel when driven hard to compete. Sales were virtually non existent as well, needless to add the constant shuffling of the gearbox in finding a gear that would provide adequate sensation was down right annoying.

I think the gen 2 will prove to be equally as good as a seller primarily because those looking for a new SUV will recognize its strengths. It will be mainly the current 958 owners (myself inc) that will not see the motivation to change.
How about the growl of a V8 verses the sewing machine 6??????
Old 07-31-2014, 11:02 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
$92k and a stock radio? Ouch.
Maybe he got lost and ended up at a Canadian dealer
Old 07-31-2014, 11:41 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Reading the specs on the TT V6 makes it look more attractive to me than the V8 ever could be. I haven't any idea why anybody is stuck on these V8's. This isn't 1954 where V8 meant power. Today it means too many cylinders given the new intensity possible.

The old non TT V8 made 83 hp per liter. The new V6 TT makes 117 hp / liter or an increase of almost 45%. Less displacement; more power. Why want to move backwards? What next - a desire for a pushrod flathead? I'm sure our ancestors missed that too.
You mean the normally aspirated V8 when you quote 83 hp per litre? The TT V8 is 108.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:49 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
How about the growl of a V8 verses the sewing machine 6??????
It's a truck. I care how it pulls, not how it sounds.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:45 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's funny to bring up the sewing machine 6 when so many Carreras are 6 cylinder.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:37 PM
kosmo
Race Director

The f6 is more sewing machine sounding than the v6

Quick Reply: New 2015 Cayennes announced