Yet another tire question; Nokian Z SUV

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:49 AM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Yet another tire question; Nokian Z SUV

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=9...e=Nokian+Z+SUV

Does anyone have any experience? They are $221/corner shipped which is a significant saving over other tires obviously.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:15 AM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Wow, the response was overwhelming

After reading reviews on other, sites I bought a set. I will report on my experience, if I live to tell about it.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:32 AM
duh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We sell a lot of nokians at work, but i cant say ive installed more than their winter tires on cayennes... Never heard complaints about the tires. They dont road force balance very well when new, i would suggest road force balancing thrm again at the first rotate after they "break in" for lack of a better term. Its mostly rovers i put them on.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:25 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

They do have a cayenne in the promo picture. They look pretty good.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:51 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Since mostl of the producers of 21" diameter N1 spec tires (i.e., Pirelli, Michelin) apparently choose not to produce enough tires to allow them to be readily available, I've been looking at the non-N rated tires as alternatives. There's basically two alternatives I'm considering, the Vredestein Vorti and the Nokian Z SUV. Apparently, the Nokian tire rated very highly last year in a German based tire test, and as noted above, a set of four can be shipped to my door for only $884. Compare that to the $1,563 it would cost me to have a set of Pirelli Rosso N0 tires shipped to me, and the Nokians become very appealing. Seriously, can the Pirellis be $679 better on a Cayenne that has primary duty of daily commuting?

In the middle, a set of the new to the market Vderestiein Vortis would run $1,265. In taking a look at these tire options, I learned the European Union started requiring tire manufacturers to start labeling their tires back in 2012 with respect to rolling resistance (impacts fuel economy), wet traction, and noise levels. This is where you start to see trade-offs that might be impacted by the cost of producing a tire. As an available N-spec benchmark, the N0 rated Pirelli Rosso is labled "C" for rolling resistance, "B" for wet traction, and has a noise rating of 73 dB. The Vderstein has an "E" label for rolling resistance (worse than a "C"), but shares the same "B" rating for wet traction as does the Pirelli tire. But the Vderestein is very quiet, with a noise rating of only 70 dB. The low-cost option Nokian Z SUV has a "C" rating for rolling resistance, and falls a little short in the wet traction category, with a "C" label there as well. And it's the loudest of the bunch, with a noise label of 75 dB.

So there's trade-offs for sure among the tires, but for normal daily driving, either the Vderesteins or the Nokians seem like affordable, viable 21" tire options. And they're available for immediate shipment, unlike most of the Porsche spec tires.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:33 PM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the information.

Turns out the Nokians are back ordered for 8 weeks and I can't wait. I'm trying to decide what the next best option will be. The Vredesteins (Sessanta and Vorti) are not available for 4 weeks either.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:24 AM
ndx
Racer

I got Toyo SUV tires
Made in Japan love it ...

had toyo PX1 on BMW before and Wife has winter Toyos great tires.

Last edited by ndx; 04-18-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: name tire
Old 04-09-2014, 11:31 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ndx
I got Toyo Versado Cuv
We're talking about 21" diameter tire options. Toyo's website does not show that they offer any tires to fit 21" Cayenne wheels.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:41 AM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

I've pretty much narrowed it down to two tires, the PZeros and Continental UHP's.

I've hear varying things about both. I'm sure we wouldn't normally wring our hands about tires but when a set costs $1700+ you want to make sure you do your due diligence.

The Contis are worse for fuel efficiency (who cares when your P!G d
gets 12mpg, right?) but are worse for noise according to the EU label.

I can't get my head around the Sessantas. They look like they belong on a lowered Honda with an exhaust pipe as big as a garbage can. Does that make me a bad person?
Old 04-10-2014, 07:39 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by B.Kish
I've pretty much narrowed it down to two tires, the PZeros and Continental UHP's.
I can't find any tire dealer who has the PZero in stock. They're supposed on backorder with unknown availability (if you're looking for the "N1" version).
Old 04-10-2014, 06:42 PM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

This tire hunt is nuts. I've never seen anything like it.

My local Discount has no release date on the PZeros and mid May or later for the Continentals in N-spec. They can get the PZero Rosso's in N-spec but they have terrible reviews. They can also get the Continentals in Mercedes spec, whatever that means.

I found a place with the Vredestein Vorti's but the reviews from Europe weren't great. The Vredestein site no longer lists the Sessantas as coming in 21's.

I need some tires for Parade in Monterey in June and am worried about what to do.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:06 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

There is very little difference between Mercedes spec and Porsche spec vs Conti standard spec. Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari etc have their one quality requirements and intervention point and may have slight stricter formula for their tires versus standard compounds in the tire.
All in all small variances and there should be no issue buying a Mercedes spec tire.

I did. I'm happy with them for my daily driving not exceed 77mph nor g forces during breaking or cornering around 0.2 for the comfort of my passengers.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:50 PM
charlycui
2nd Gear

Why not just get the tires from your dealer? They have in stock all N1 Spec tires from the 3 brands: Pirelli Michelin and Yokohama. And they are willing to match Tire rack prices on a set of 4.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:44 AM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Hmmmmm.....

Maybe in your area. Around here "price match" means the price matches all the money you have in your bank account, retirement account, etc.

Still, I will give them a call, if for nothing other than the entertainment value.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:56 AM
charlycui
2nd Gear

Porsche of Fairfield in CT quoted me PZeros @ 1480+tax for a set of 4. Maybe cuz Tirerack has the main warehouse in CT and the dealers don't want to loose out all the biz. They do charge 330+tax to mount and balance though.

Quick Reply: Yet another tire question; Nokian Z SUV