Old 07-29-2003, 05:27 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The scoop on adding Video Input to the NAV

OK just spoke to Allen at NAV-TV.. Here is the deal.. you ship them your
factory NAV unit and they hardwire a video input with a FM Modulator and
supply a external switch for changing the video source.
This enables you to hook up a DVD changer or TV tuner to the factory NAV
screen.. Now he said that they only sell this to a Stereo shop so you have
to find or get your local dealer to set up a account with them.. Ball park
figure is $600 for this... Also of course there is no warranty coverage from
them in respect to something failing on the Porsche head unit... So they
guarantee it will be working when they send it back to you.. but if
something goes wrong.. you then deal with Porsche.. and I would think that when they see wires coming out of the back of the unit they may Void the warranty on the NAV unit... On the other hand.. how many issues are there with a NAV unit going wrong.. and you could disconnect the wires from the back of the unit and take it in.... So who wants to be the first Guinea Pig?

Nav-TV
Old 07-30-2003, 09:57 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may take the plunge and try it first on my Boxster with original PCM. Is it different since it does not have the fiber connection?
Old 02-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Raising this one from the dead.

KY, did you do this upgrade yet?

Has anyone?
Old 02-13-2004, 10:16 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts
Exclamation Driving versus Car Theater

Originally posted by Kevin M.
OK just spoke to Allen at NAV-TV.. Here is the deal.. you ship them your
factory NAV unit and they hardwire a video input with a FM Modulator and
supply a external switch for changing the video source.
This enables you to hook up a DVD changer or TV tuner to the factory NAV
screen.. Now he said that they only sell this to a Stereo shop so you have
to find or get your local dealer to set up a account with them.. Ball park
figure is $600 for this... Also of course there is no warranty coverage from
them in respect to something failing on the Porsche head unit... So they
guarantee it will be working when they send it back to you.. but if
something goes wrong.. you then deal with Porsche.. and I would think that when they see wires coming out of the back of the unit they may Void the warranty on the NAV unit... On the other hand.. how many issues are there with a NAV unit going wrong.. and you could disconnect the wires from the back of the unit and take it in.... So who wants to be the first Guinea Pig?

Nav-TV

Is any thought being given to the safety implications of redirecting attention, from safely enjoying the operation of a 340 hp or 450 hp super vehicle, to also include watching "The Matrix", while 5,800 lb of steel, alloy, glass and plastic careen down the highway?

It appears as though NAV-TV has discovered the procedure to enable the Video button on the PCM.

Good for them! But, shouldn't they be directing their talents towards good?

The special tool required to reconfigure the PCM is a Porsche System Tester. It looks very expensive. (A subscription would be required to obtain subsequent software updates, for the Porsche System Tester, to download to the vehicle, as they became available.)

The PCM already has a video input, as documented in my post, in the topic: "Aux audio in and MOSTWave?"

If the software update only theory is correct, then there are NOT significant modifications to the PCM. Instead, the PCM might just be reconfigured to change the status of the video function, from: disable, to: enabled, then the AV pushbutton changes the PCM function.

The TV audio may be monophonic, if they input the audio to the PCM using the CAN infotainment bus, which would be a shame, given the outstanding audio system in the Cayenne. Hopefully it is stereo, perhaps as described, using the FM modulator.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:20 AM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Wingless,

I certainly would never have a TV show or DVD on during driving. That would be a major safety issue. What I am really interested in is a rear view camera. I also want to get a screen in the back for my little guy. I also wouldn't mind being able to view TV while waiting for my wife as she runs into store while I have the little one in the back.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:24 AM
KY_soldier
Racer

Not yet, possibly this summer. I just spent this AM rewiring my Boxster for a new cell phone kit (Motorola) because I got rid of my Nokia. I ordered the Panavise holder for the Cayenne and am about to do that one now! I'll show pics when I am done. I need to refer to Mike's play by play for taking out the PCM unit.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:19 AM
SorTurbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

yeah same here, DVD would be either for idling or for the passenger.

Kevin - have you added any new Techart pieces to your Cayenne? I would love to get a dead pedal (Group buy?)
Old 02-17-2004, 02:54 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

No only thing that I recently added was the front stainless steel guard....

Not sure if the Techart stuff is out yet..
Old 02-17-2004, 03:44 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin,

A bit OT, but would you mind posting a couple of pics from the front with the stainless steel guard on? It seems that you're the only one with a darker colored Cayenne with the steel guard.

I'm still debating with myself over this piece and try to get a feel of what it would look like on mine (lapisblue).

Thanks a lot.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Arrow

Originally posted by wingless

The TV audio may be monophonic, if they input the audio to the PCM using the CAN infotainment bus, which would be a shame, given the outstanding audio system in the Cayenne. Hopefully it is stereo, perhaps as described, using the FM modulator.
I am fairly certain that the infotainment bus in the Cayenne is exclusively MOST; no audio content is passed via CAN in this nor any other Porsche vehicle.
Furthermore, it does not sound as though they have figured out how to enable the A/V swtich, as they require the installation of an external switch for changing the video source, as explained in the original post in this thread.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no (production) vehicles in the world today that can play a DVD over a MOST network. This is primarily due to the requirements to pay royalty and licensing fees for DTCP (digital transfer copyright protection).....essentially the lawyers are holding the thing up. Once resolved, the MOST physical layer hardware can support DVD video/audio. Expect to see this capability in 2006 vehicles with MOST. Of course, non MOST vehicles can do this now, as the content is transmitted in an analog fashion, thus exempt from DTCP.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

No prob Matt... gimmie some time to upload pics and I'll post them.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:03 PM
dfar
Advanced

So you have a system that is illegal in the U.S. anyway. No warranty what so ever an you have to pay $600 to be a guinea pig and have your PCM hacked on... doesn't sound to great. Not to mention it seem slike Porsche loves to deny warranty. Doesn't somebody have the screens that go in the headrests available? I am sure I have read about it here.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:30 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally posted by ltc
I am fairly certain that the infotainment bus in the Cayenne is exclusively MOST; no audio content is passed via CAN in this nor any other Porsche vehicle.
ltc,

Yes, the CAN data busses do not transmit audio, just data. In the case of the CAN Infotainment bus, between the PCM, the Gateway Instrument Cluster, the wiper control module, the compass sensor module and the parking heater control module.

Do you know the currently defined function, for the disabled A/V pushbutton?

If the PCM A/V pushbutton were enabled, does it display video from the rear panel video TV connector while playing a specific MOST audio source, play audio and video from a MOST bus A/V source, or permit either to be selected, using on-screen menus?

A photograph of the rear panel video TV connector is shown in the post by mudman2 and connector descriptions are in my post, in this topic:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=114082

It looks like the PSM A/V pushbutton, if enabled, would take video from the rear panel video TV connector and audio from a specific MOST device. So, it seems possible that the NAV-TV PCM modification toggles the A/V status, from: disabled, to: enabled and modifies the hardware, to manually switch audio, which would have been coming from MOST, to instead come from the FM modulator.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:37 PM
climber
4th Gear

Default Nav/ Audio

Cool, where is Allen ? So can you use that audio button to engae the Video ? I will try this.
steve

Ps I haven't been on the forum, I thought this was a mute issue, no pun intended.
steve
Old 02-18-2004, 12:01 PM
eyeglaskid
Advanced

I Found that the Strosek system uses the A/V on the PCM unit. Below is thier response to my inquiry. It can obviously be done, the question is how do we do it. I for one will happily sit in traffic on the 405 if I can watch happy gilmore.

MULTIMEDIA
PORSCHE CAYENNE

2 pieces 7“ 16:9 Alpine – LCD – Screens
integrated in the headrest

1 piece DVD – changer for 6 DVSs
in the trunk

2 pieces Headsets
Complete installation, sound only on the 2 headsets € 5.380,--

Sound on the Original – Soundsystem € 320,--

Picture in the front € 440,--

TV-Installation € 1.180,--

Prices