Sponsored by:

PCM reboot tonight

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 12:27 AM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PCM reboot tonight

I was using navigation in in 3d mode, SiriusXM was on, then the PCM just rebooted. It came back and picked up exactly where it left off. Navigation to destination came back, and SiriusXM played back at original volume

Are PCM reboots common?
Old 01-30-2014, 10:06 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

I have had 2 - 3 over my past two years of ownership.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:15 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm having the same issue with PCM rebooting except mine happens about every other time I drive the car. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Comes right back on after reboot to the same spot it crashed from whether in NAV mode or Radio. Interesting........
Old 03-17-2014, 04:40 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

happened with my old 2009 GTS. Once it starts it gets progressively worse over time. Mine started when it was under warranty and I complained about it to the dealer. Porsche already knew the problem existed in the units and so their line was unless it gets into a constant reboot cycle, they would not replace it.

I am told the new PCM in my new 2014 GTS is free from this problem. We will see.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:03 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this is likely caused by a corrupt file downloaded from the XM satellite radio. Known problem. Talk to your Porsche service tech, ask them to reflash the PCM software.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:26 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
this is likely caused by a corrupt file downloaded from the XM satellite radio. Known problem. Talk to your Porsche service tech, ask them to reflash the PCM software.
Thanks Hammer! Will do.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't recall my '06 ever doing in when I owned it (I didn't use S/XM on that vehicle) but the '10 did it this last w/e when I was in FL, and yes, right around that timeframe (don't know if before or after) I saw Sirus doing a station list refresh. Will keep an eye on it.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:28 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Repeated, multiple Sirius XM signal refreshes will likely corrupt the PCM software. You can catch this early, by re-flashing the PCM firmware at the Porsche $tealer($100) once involuntary, random re-boots begin to take place. Refresh SAT Radio signal ONLY when Sirius XM can only access the "preview" stations...it's a last-resort action to be taken when signal cannot reach the PCM.

Once a corrupt file is downloaded...hardware failure of the main PCB will occur and the PCM will never power-up again. That is when you send it in to Becker Auto Sound for repair($650+).
Old 04-13-2017, 10:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Repeated, multiple Sirius XM signal refreshes will likely corrupt the PCM software. You can catch this early, by re-flashing the PCM firmware at the Porsche $tealer($100) once involuntary, random re-boots begin to take place. Refresh SAT Radio signal ONLY when Sirius XM can only access the "preview" stations...it's a last-resort action to be taken when signal cannot reach the PCM.

Once a corrupt file is downloaded...hardware failure of the main PCB will occur and the PCM will never power-up again. That is when you send it in to Becker Auto Sound for repair($650+).
Dilberto - what version PCM is this with what version of firmware? Very curious how the corrupted download can cause a hardware failure. Wonder if like a PC - there is an option/jumper inside the PCM that can force it to do a reboot to factory configuration..

Quick Reply: PCM reboot tonight