Sponsored by:

2014 Cayenne Diesel vs. 2014 Range Rover Sport HSE

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:49 AM
M//DREI
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 Cayenne Diesel vs. 2014 Range Rover Sport HSE

Hey guys. I am currently shopping for a new car for my family, and I am stuck between the Cayenne Diesel Platinum, and the Range Rover Sport HSE. They are both at $72k give or take, which one do you think is the better car?

I test drove both of them last week. The Cayenne felt smaller to drive, like the interior, but it is a little busy for my taste. Options are an arm and leg to add, not crazy about the exterior. Ride is firm, but bearable.

Range Rover Sport has a really nice ride, interior felt nicer than the Cayenne, more color options. Exterior is great looking imo, has 3rd role seating. It sounds good, but the downside is it is not reliable.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:05 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I bought my first Cayenne (09 GTS) I drove it after driving a driving 09 RRS Supercharged which i actually quite enjoyed. However after driving the GTS there was zero doubt in my mind as to which I was going to buy.

If you need to ask that question after driving both, you should buy the one which you feel most comfortable with, which sounds to me like the RR.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:59 AM
virkdoc
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

you already narrowed it down to the RR......lol....mcbit is spot on
Old 01-14-2014, 06:04 AM
M//DREI
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply guys, anyone want to talk me out of buying the RRS? lol
Old 01-14-2014, 09:24 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Your problem is that "better" is only something you can answer based on what you need.

The RR will be far better off road.

The RR has more useful interior space for cargo (D-pillar isn't cut as bad).

The CD will perform on the road a lot better if you are into driving dynamics.

The CD will get almost 2.5x the gas mileage!

If you haven't driven them both, do so. If you have driven the CD and how it drives doesn't do anything for you, go with the the RR. I love my CD, but if you take how it handles out of the equation, then I think its way over priced (though if you don't need serious off road capability, then the RR is way over priced in my opinion).
Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 AM
virkdoc
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Or just get the CTT....end of the story!!! Wish i could buy one sigh!
Old 01-14-2014, 11:05 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the RRS is a great car. They really moved the needle. the tester i drove was no where near 70k, more like 90. I do agree about the interior. I like it better than my CS. However as others have said the C is still more athletic.
RR past quality issues and depreciation does concern me.
choices choices
Old 01-14-2014, 02:41 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 52 Posts

I drove both recently and was really impressed by the RRS. However the one I drove was 85K with Meridian sound system (which to my ears sounded as good as the Burmester in the Cayenne). Not sure what your priorities are, but the ride, acceleration, presence, and off-road capabilities of the RRS were very impressive, as was the fit/finish of the leather interior. Not to confuse things, but I also was impressed by the diesel Touareg which loaded came in around 60K. Nice problem to have!

Last edited by lfish; 01-14-2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-14-2014, 03:30 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Has LR gotten past its reliability issues?
Old 01-14-2014, 03:52 PM
kosmo
Race Director

dont know yet. Howeve Jag has shown a lot of improvement.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

From all accounts the new RRS is brilliant both off and onroad. It has gotten a lot of good press. I still don't understand,however, why they always chose tail lights that look like they are from eBay. I had hoped the new model would do away with that trend. Still that's a small gripe for what is ultimately the cayenne's closest competition. Besides the cayenne has a generic *** that looks like a lot of cuv's.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:11 PM
RickDC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for the CD.

When you buy the RRS, double your expectation of cost. Not for maintenance. But to buy a second RRS for when the first one is in the garage.

I bought an LR4 and loved it. When I had it. It was in the garage 12 times over 6 months, finally needing a full injector rebuild. Bits broke. Electrics unreliable. 350km to a tank (I'm in Canada) of premium.

I bought a built-to-my-spec 2014 CD. However, CD is not perfect... a few niggles, like the extended LED not having a memory setting, fans not going off by themselves after the ignition switched off, poor rear aircon/blower, silly tail design that pours water into the trunk on opening in the rain, seat and wheel memory stopping if the glow plugs need to warm before starting and not completing cycle, windscreen wipers on auto don't start until you move.. great when you're outside in a parking lot, crappy centre cupholders than don't hold drinks on "spirited" drives, crap rear view camera.

HOWEVER, it's like a cockpit, awesome torque, had it to 40mpg (US) on highway.. 1000km to a tank for the first 2000km. Feels like car rather than a truck.

I'm very happy that I moved from the LR to the CD. I seriously considered the RRS and it was ONLY RR's reliability and that it didn't come in a diesel that I'd chose the CD time over time.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:09 PM
M//DREI
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciate it. To make the decision even harder, my mechanic called me and told me he can get me 5% off on the Cayenne Diesel Platinum's listing price.

At this point, I am between the RRS, CD, or wait for the face lift Cayenne that is rumored to come out in Nov.

The V6 supercharged HSE comes generously equipped (when compared to Cayenne's lol), with a base price of $68k. The only packages I want are the Vision and Connivence package for $2k, and Visibility package for $2k. For the v8 Supercharged model, the price starts around $80k.

I am not too worried about the driving dynamic of the SUV, the slightly bumpy ride is something I actually did not like about the Cayenne when I went for the test drive. Although the RRS is no slouch, as demonstrated by Top Gear, it lapped Donington Park slightly faster than a John Mini Cooper S.

Do not get me wrong, I think the Cayenne is one of the best luxury SUV's on the market. But with a fully equipped Cayenne, the RRS still feels like half of a tier above. Plus, paying $80k for the $55k base priced car is just outrageous.

Reliability is the glaring issue at the moment. Land Rover had consistently been rated the most unreliable brand. And buying a first year production from an unreliable brand just seems like a stupid thing to do.

It boils down to Cayenne Diesel is the safe choice, the RRS has a high risk of being a lemon, but the reward is much as well.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:12 PM
M//DREI
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by endless_corners
From all accounts the new RRS is brilliant both off and onroad. It has gotten a lot of good press. I still don't understand,however, why they always chose tail lights that look like they are from eBay. I had hoped the new model would do away with that trend. Still that's a small gripe for what is ultimately the cayenne's closest competition. Besides the cayenne has a generic *** that looks like a lot of cuv's.
I noticed you are from Davis as well, have I seen you at any of the PCA Thunderhill trackdays?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:34 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

don't buy the sizzle buy the sausage

Quick Reply: 2014 Cayenne Diesel vs. 2014 Range Rover Sport HSE