Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found *my* SUV!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:04 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One negative I should have added to my last post was the fact that I couldn't get 4-zone climate control in the CD. Don't know if that's changed for 2014, but I think the voluminous interior would be better served with 4-zone. Especially for Texas desert dwellers who think "black with the pano-roof".

The SQ5 is a considerably smaller vehicle, as is the Macan. They're down in the compact SUV class. An equivalent Audi is the Q7, albeit with two more seats (but almost no cargo space). I looked at CSUVs initially, but I'd been driving nothing but Mercedes E-class for many many years. Those compacts all felt like I was driving a phone booth.

//greg//
Old 01-13-2014, 12:57 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Akillian-The best value is going to be a CPO unit.

As an ex-salesperson (out of college about 9 yrs ago). $2k off offer is what I was expecting to read you were offered. Dallas tier 1 city. (im in the woodlands). A good deal would be $5k+. You got about $10k-12k on these bad boys.. up to $20k + on a turbo hard loaded (options have 15% margin profit).

_Another rule_ I always buy used after working at a dealership- I bought & leased a few cars before I went to Porsche, but since I just buy 2-3 yr old cars. The sweet spot is around 3 yrs. Ex. I purchased a 2008 BMW Alpina B7 $122k car.. off lease 17k miles.. $41k drove for a yr & 20k miles -sold it as the best priced car in the country at $42.5k.. .MY first mgr/ mentor got it for me so it was a buddy deal. But, they are out there to be had- I just missed one of the best priced 2011 Cayenne Turbo- it was gorgeous black with espresso 2-two leather.. all the options... ALL... 13k miles was $74k.. new about $135-140k. I just wasn't looking for a Turbo with a 911 Turbo in the garage.

The best sage advice is find something that was well kept (most Porsche fall in this category). Get a CPO unit. Enjoy!

I also love the SQ5. If you have kids etc and lived in Europe you would probably find it very large.. only in fat america do we drive busses and think "we need it"... People have quickly learned that when not in $2 gas 14mpg sucks... On the Audi 6% is easy to get at a dealership.. there isn't any more play on the front end for those cars..

I would also look for a CPO on the SQ5. -although new there are a few already floating around.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:15 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

I found on the Cayenne market that I couldn't approach it like the 911 Turbo. I'm very hesitant to step into a Cayenne Turbo vs 911 turbo as the floor for the first seems to not have the same "halo" affect as it does on the 911. (I paid $78.9k CPO in 11/2010 and now I could get $72k all day 3yrs later & 20k miles not bad in my book. ) I think this generation will hold up better than the last but how much better? The avg used german car loses $500 per mo. you can put this into a boxster, 911 ($550)etc. after 3 yrs thats the number.. The Cayenne seems to lose $800 per mo.

If the vehicle works really well for you it is easy to keep it from year 3 on especially with a CPO. you can sell it in year 5 with 4-6 months of warranty no problem. The cost of ownership would be much lower than the new car price. If the vehicle doesn't need much maintenance you like driving it.. want to go an extra few yrs.. you really can get your money working for you at that point.

I'd go for a 2013 Cayenne Diesel over the V6. I think the export market is going to be strong on these trucks down the road and better MPG will pay more dividends in the $30k truck market making the diesel a premium. IMO.

Last edited by German_Saint; 01-13-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:53 PM
akillian24
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint
Akillian-The best value is going to be a CPO unit.

As an ex-salesperson (out of college about 9 yrs ago). $2k off offer is what I was expecting to read you were offered. Dallas tier 1 city. (im in the woodlands). A good deal would be $5k+. You got about $10k-12k on these bad boys.. up to $20k + on a turbo hard loaded (options have 15% margin profit).

_Another rule_ I always buy used after working at a dealership- I bought & leased a few cars before I went to Porsche, but since I just buy 2-3 yr old cars. The sweet spot is around 3 yrs. Ex. I purchased a 2008 BMW Alpina B7 $122k car.. off lease 17k miles.. $41k drove for a yr & 20k miles -sold it as the best priced car in the country at $42.5k.. .MY first mgr/ mentor got it for me so it was a buddy deal. But, they are out there to be had- I just missed one of the best priced 2011 Cayenne Turbo- it was gorgeous black with espresso 2-two leather.. all the options... ALL... 13k miles was $74k.. new about $135-140k. I just wasn't looking for a Turbo with a 911 Turbo in the garage.

The best sage advice is find something that was well kept (most Porsche fall in this category). Get a CPO unit. Enjoy!

I also love the SQ5. If you have kids etc and lived in Europe you would probably find it very large.. only in fat america do we drive busses and think "we need it"... People have quickly learned that when not in $2 gas 14mpg sucks... On the Audi 6% is easy to get at a dealership.. there isn't any more play on the front end for those cars..

I would also look for a CPO on the SQ5. -although new there are a few already floating around.
Originally Posted by German_Saint
I found on the Cayenne market that I couldn't approach it like the 911 Turbo. I'm very hesitant to step into a Cayenne Turbo vs 911 turbo as the floor for the first seems to not have the same "halo" affect as it does on the 911. (I paid $78.9k CPO in 11/2010 and now I could get $72k all day 3yrs later & 20k miles not bad in my book. ) I think this generation will hold up better than the last but how much better? The avg used german car loses $500 per mo. you can put this into a boxster, 911 ($550)etc. after 3 yrs thats the number.. The Cayenne seems to lose $800 per mo.

If the vehicle works really well for you it is easy to keep it from year 3 on especially with a CPO. you can sell it in year 5 with 4-6 months of warranty no problem. The cost of ownership would be much lower than the new car price. If the vehicle doesn't need much maintenance you like driving it.. want to go an extra few yrs.. you really can get your money working for you at that point.

I'd go for a 2013 Cayenne Diesel over the V6. I think the export market is going to be strong on these trucks down the road and better MPG will pay more dividends in the $30k truck market making the diesel a premium. IMO.
I've sent a screen shot of this insight to the DH. Couldn't have articulated it better myself. :-) Thank you.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 PM
akillian24
Track Day

I did drive the SQ5 yesterday. Definitely smaller on the interior, but I'm not convinced that's a problem. DH may feel differently.
Edit: Oh, and the steering wheel is much smaller than any SUV I've been in. I could see where that alone would be unappealing to some. Again, for little-'ol-me, it's more in the plus column.

What I did notice is that the Porsche had better handling and steering feedback (or at least my preference) overall, but for whatever reason the transmission logic on the SQ5 seemed to be superior, most notably on the freeway. I didn't find myself having to manually downshift to accelerate/pass at all in the Audi SQ5, where I did in the Cayenne.

I wish I knew more about engines/powertrain/etc to understand why.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:47 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 52 Posts

Have you taken the time to drive a CPO Cayenne Turbo? Many 2011s are available for the mid $70s with fairly low miles. I think the differences between the CT and the Audi and the base or diesel Cayenne would be really eye-opening for you. It's difficult to appreciate that an SUV that large and heavy can have the responsiveness, handling, and braking usually associated with a much smaller, lighter car. The torque is astonishing. The grin that will be plastered on your face will be difficult to suppress...
Old 01-16-2014, 10:10 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

We have a 2013 Diesel, leased. A few thoughts:

As gnat said, go diesel. There is really no comparison to the V6 and it gives the V8 a run for it's money. It's perfect amount of pep for around town, and still returns decent MPG when you're hevy on the fun pedal.

Options look good, but I don't see moon or pano roof listed (maybe that's included in the plat?). I can't recommend the pano enough, it really does make it feel so open and airy...when you want it to be. My other must haves would be PDC w/ Camera and heat/vent'd seat. I've never been a heat guy, but recently discovered (as another mentioned) that it's great for my sore back. My CD doesn't have Vent, but wifes 997 does, and I love it despite hating normal AC.

IMHO the CD is the best value for leasing a Porsche. Vs the other Cayennes, the residual is very good. While I am guilty of having an extra special relationship with my dealer, i will say that you can do better. In july, I got my CD with similar MSRP to yours for 10% off, 0 down, and a monthly payment in the 800s including tax. And i'm the highest tier Porsche market.

Hang in there, you can make it work. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:35 PM
akillian24
Track Day

Originally Posted by sqweak

As gnat said, go diesel. There is really no comparison to the V6 and it gives the V8 a run for it's money. It's perfect amount of pep for around town, and still returns decent MPG when you're hevy on the fun pedal.

Options look good, but I don't see moon or pano roof listed (maybe that's included in the plat?). I can't recommend the pano enough, it really does make it feel so open and airy...when you want it to be. My other must haves would be PDC w/ Camera and heat/vent'd seat. I've never been a heat guy, but recently discovered (as another mentioned) that it's great for my sore back. My CD doesn't have Vent, but wifes 997 does, and I love it despite hating normal AC.

IMHO the CD is the best value for leasing a Porsche. Vs the other Cayennes, the residual is very good. While I am guilty of having an extra special relationship with my dealer, i will say that you can do better. In july, I got my CD with similar MSRP to yours for 10% off, 0 down, and a monthly payment in the 800s including tax. And i'm the highest tier Porsche market.

oohh - That is promising! What term? We are looking at a 42 month term. I drove the gas... perhaps I should also drive the diesel.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:52 PM
akillian24
Track Day

Originally Posted by sqweak

Originally Posted by lfish
Have you taken the time to drive a CPO Cayenne Turbo? Many 2011s are available for the mid $70s with fairly low miles. I think the differences between the CT and the Audi and the base or diesel Cayenne would be really eye-opening for you. It's difficult to appreciate that an SUV that large and heavy can have the responsiveness, handling, and braking usually associated with a much smaller, lighter car. The torque is astonishing. The grin that will be plastered on your face will be difficult to suppress...
I'm having a helluva time turning DH onto used. Still.
He did say that he'd be open to it next time.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:50 AM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by akillian24
I'm having a helluva time turning DH onto used. Still.
He did say that he'd be open to it next time.
As the others have suggested, go test drive the CPO turbo.
For the same money as a new diesel, you'll have an SUV that's second to none.

If you can find one with PDCC, I'd highly recommend trying it out.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:06 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^
What he said!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:23 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Given that she says her husband is currently adamant against a used car, I think testing a Turbo is horrible advice for her.

If she goes and gets a good Turbo test drive and then can't convince him to buy used, her view of the smaller engines will be tainted.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 AM
mike826
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gnat
Given that she says her husband is currently adamant against a used car, I think testing a Turbo is horrible advice for her.

If she goes and gets a good Turbo test drive and then can't convince him to buy used, her view of the smaller engines will be tainted.
I 100% agree with this. I got my 2014 Cayenne TT a month ago and was totally fine with the power in it. But then it had an issue where they it went in the shop and they gave me a Panamera loaner for a week, and that spoiled me to no end. Now I regret almost daily not looking more seriously at the diesel or S model. I'd have been better off not knowing what I was missing for sure. (Although I of course realize a more powerful Cayenne isn't exactly like a Panamera...)
Old 01-22-2014, 01:06 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by akillian24
oohh - That is promising! What term? We are looking at a 42 month term. I drove the gas... perhaps I should also drive the diesel.
36mo, 10k/yr

Definitely take it for a test drive. Gobs more zip than the 6, great mileage, no funny smells or noises of diesels from years past

Quick Reply: I found *my* SUV!