Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California owners with black interior: does it get very hot in summer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 10:40 PM
billhao
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California owners with black interior: does it get very hot in summer?

Ordered a CS recently with white/Luxor beige combination. I am thinking about changing the interior color to black because the steering wheel and dashboard/console area in black have a more classic feel to me, but worried about the black interior may get hotter in summer. I live in Northern California and the parking lot at work does not have any roof. I'd like to hear your experience on this. Is it annoying to you? Would you go with a lighter color next time?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:26 AM
MMHZ
Track Day

why don't you order the two tone black/beige

Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 AM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

The thing I don't like about black is that it shows every speck of dust and dirt, especially the dash.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

It might take a little longer to cool down in the summer depending on where you are in Nor Cal.

Here in the Bay Area, black interiors are fine, no issues. Both the 993 and the CS have black interiors and we don't have any issues with the heat. The A/C is pretty strong so the cars cool down quickly.

We've taken the CS to Palm Springs in the summer and the truck cooled down nicely in the 110+ heat as well.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:20 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is always thermally insulated glass option to help with the heat. In Davis the summer temps are regularly above 100. I end up parking my car such that the afternoon sun wont be striking directly on the front seats. I have palm green leather which is quite dark. I would pick a dark color again its not a deal breaker - just watch that afternoon sun. If my wife wears short shorts the seats can be too hot for a few minutes and she has to sit on something. With all that said.. the two tone interior looks pretty tasty might be a nice alt option.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had black/beige/grey here in So Ca for many years. Mostly black and really have never noticed any appreciable difference. When its hotter than h@ll when you get in the car any color will be hot as well. Its subjective, but for me a non issue. Note: both cars currently have black interiors. Aside: I think the exterior color has a greater effect...
Old 12-30-2013, 02:28 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MMHZ
why don't you order the two tone black/beige

I love my Luxor Beige interior but the two-tone interiors are just beautiful!
Old 12-30-2013, 02:48 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis
Here in the Bay Area, black interiors are fine, no issues.
+1 and I always cover the dash with a Porsche Sunshade as it keeps the interior temp down and protects from UV damage. You should also consider that beige causes significant reflective glare in the windshield. This isn't an issue for some but a deal breaker for me. Here's a link to the sunshade. http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...e=9972_intcare
Old 12-30-2013, 02:59 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe there is a difference in between colors of material that retains the temperature, what matters the most is whether there is a barrier between the interior material and the direct Sun light.

Make sure you get the window tint and the windshield sun shade to block any direct Sun light.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:33 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Black interior is low maintenance and is just fine in California. Beige interior is higher maintenance, and I would recommend rubber floor mats for winter. Dash reflection is not a problem if you wear polarized lenses. BTW, the black will also reflect, but to a much less degree.

I have two 958's -- a black interior / silver exterior, as well as a beige interior / dark blue exterior. I prefer the beige, and so far, with the rubber mats, it's working for me -- with minimal maintenance. Also, I like the lighter look of the beige. The two tone is nice, but more expensive. It's all personal preference.

Remember: If you get the beige, make sure you have polarized sunglasses -- and all will be good.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:08 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

I live in Atlanta, it is much hotter here than Northern Cali in Summer. I have a white CT and a black CS and both have the black leather interior. My SL63 has the black and tan interior. None of them seem any hotter than any other car that sits outside, it is all hot here. I use window shades if I have to park outside, which helps. Venetlated seats help alot.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:35 AM
billhao
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the great comments and suggestions. Much appreciated. It is good to know that the difference is insignificant

PS, the two-tone interior looks gorgeous. If budget permits, I definitely would have choose it.

Cheers!
Old 12-31-2013, 01:38 AM
wthayer
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Adding to the other comments, I switched from an X5 with black interior to a CS with beige interior last July in Phoenix. No noticeable difference between them in terms of heat. The strength of your A/C is a much bigger factor than interior color. I will say, however, that Luxor Biege is a lot more work to keep clean - it just shows more dirt than black. Given the choice, I'd go back to black.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:20 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an all black X5M. It has nappa merino leather inside and its not that hot. Especially
with the Air Con seats. It takes only a second to cool down and the AC is really good.
WHen it gets over 110 here I pull out the stock window shades in the back and along
with the privacy glass keeps the heat in check.
Another point on this Nappa Merino leather is its tough! I just took it to Mammoth for
Christmas and the dogs were walking on the center console and not a scratch.
Impressive.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Tex94
Instructor

I have black exterior and interior with a pano roof and live in the Bay Area. I was very worried about heat but it really hasn't been any worse than any other car I have ever owned (and those cars were all lighter colors). You should be fine

Quick Reply: California owners with black interior: does it get very hot in summer?