Sponsored by:

Cayenne blower motor making a strange groaning noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cayenne blower motor making a strange groaning noise

For the second time today, the blower motor in my 2005 Cayenne S (Canadian) started making a strange loud groaning noise. Oddly, the frequency seemed not to be related to fan speed. But it did stop when I shut the system off. And restarted when I started it again. Eventually, the blower just stopped working altogether. Dead.

Then after letting the car cool down a bit, the blower is completely normal again. It's happened twice now. So I fully expect it to happen again.

When it was making the noise, the sounds was a much lower frequency then I would have thought. This makes me wonder if maybe the problem is not the blower motor but the controller? If the motor were bad I would expect it to keep making the noise.

I'm not sure which version I have, but the left and right fan buttons control the same fan. Does this mean I have only one blower? Where is it? How much of a PITA is it to replace?

Of course this happens a day before I have to drive 500 miles in the snow. A defroster is critical.

Any thoughts? What do these things normally do when they fail?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2013, 02:37 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Blower motor is a common part changed on cayennes. Mine makes some funky noises sometimes. I have a new one sitting in the closet. I think it cost $90. Judging from threads it's not too painful to swap out.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

The blower motor R & R is easy. It took me roughly 30 minutes to change mine. My original lasted more than 100K miles. While you've got the cover off, you may as well change your cabin filter too.

The groaning noise could be the failing blower motor, or it could be the servos behind the dash that control air flow. My Cayenne tends to make more groaning noises in colder weather.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:39 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

ECS has the best price I believe.

The touareg one is a direct fit as well.

Mine sound like a cheap scare movie ghost.

Quick Reply: Cayenne blower motor making a strange groaning noise