Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gen cayenne diff lock and snow performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 02:26 PM
DavieGravy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all the feedback, but have to say that I'm highly alarmed by what I've read here. I have 3 other vehciles (2 all wheel drive subarus) and 1 rear wheel drive truck and none of them would ever get stuck in 3'' of snow, unless they were on 30 degree incline or more. One of my subarus will plow through a foot of snow on completely bald, summer tires.

Sounds like I need to go tire shopping and not worry about the diff lock.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:28 PM
DavieGravy
Instructor

Originally Posted by kalyan
Drove our Cayenne S with Blizzaks on frozen lake with patches of ice and lots of snow in other areas. The pig did great! We also drove two identical Audi Q5's (one with snow tires and the other with all-seasons). Huge difference in handling on ice and snow.

Cheers,
-A
I've heard Bridgestone Blizzaks are some of the best winter tires you can by. Both by word of mouth and reviews. They've been described as behaving like tires with iron spikes coming out of them, even though they're non-studded. These will definitely be my choice!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:30 PM
mr2sc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DavieGravy
I've heard Bridgestone Blizzaks are some of the best winter tires you can by. Both by word of mouth and reviews. They've been described as behaving like tires with iron spikes coming out of them, even though they're non-studded. These will definitely be my choice!
Hakkepelitta (with studs) = AWESOME.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

Every tire has strengths and weaknesses. The Bridgestone Blizzak is a great tire in snow. However, it gives up dry pavement performance for the snow performance. If you mostly drive in snow, you'll love it. If you mostly drive on cold, dry pavement with occasional snow, then you may not like it so much.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DavieGravy
I appreciate all the feedback, but have to say that I'm highly alarmed by what I've read here. I have 3 other vehciles (2 all wheel drive subarus) and 1 rear wheel drive truck and none of them would ever get stuck in 3'' of snow, unless they were on 30 degree incline or more. One of my subarus will plow through a foot of snow on completely bald, summer tires.

Sounds like I need to go tire shopping and not worry about the diff lock.
Heavy vehicle on wide tires = very light vehicle (per square inch contact with the ground)

Now reduce surface grip (snow, ice low temp) and add lots of torque.

You need either extra grip tire compound and tread pattern or much narrower tires to increase your weight or both or your going nowhere.

In the first year of the 955, most dealers did not understand and there were loads of accidents. They did not correctly advise customers that a TT with 20 inch Sport Technos on summer tires was very dangerous in snow, lots of pictures were posted here until people figured it out. Dealers were even giving away 18s with snow tires to some lucky people.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:30 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ +1

A little Subaru with skinys will have an easier time digging down to something with traction. Big SUV on slippery fatties will just spin floating on top.

With the right rubber, my Cayenne will go through anything in winter.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:49 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 07 x3 was a brilliant snow vehicle. Haven't ever taken the pig snow bathing.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:32 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Funny... my old Range Rover (2000) was a beast in the snow. Similar torque to the cayenne S and similar tire size (255/55/18). I'm new to the Pigs but don't they have a slight rear bias, which would make it a little easier to get the back end out in snow?
Old 12-24-2013, 07:59 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
Funny... my old Range Rover (2000) was a beast in the snow. Similar torque to the cayenne S and similar tire size (255/55/18). I'm new to the Pigs but don't they have a slight rear bias, which would make it a little easier to get the back end out in snow?
lol

Best example, 6500 pounds on 18inch all seasons with torque limiting
Old 12-24-2013, 09:53 AM
mdl04
Advanced

This whole thread is a surprise to me. I've driven in snow all over the country is subaru's, jeeps, and a 955T. A 955T with 18's and snows is a BLAST to drive. The issue for me was PSM had to be shut off to get it rolling when the snow was deep. Other than that quick learning experience it seemed to be the best possible outcome for a 5800lb truck.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:56 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

+1
Old 12-24-2013, 03:04 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cayenne (I only have experience with the new 958) does have rear bias and an aggressive traction control which allows for some wheel spin. Much more aggressive than say my conservative RWD BMW which will literally cut all engine power on sheet ice.

This is the way I like it, having learned to drive in winter in the days before traction control was invented, and lousy American cars with RWD, the mass of a Cayenne, and the weight balance of a pickup truck were the norm. Taping the accelerator to loosen the back at just the right moments is part of steering when you know what you are doing! Although I have played with it, I never needed to set the diff lock vs just letting the electronics decide.

Again, Cayenne with the right rubber is an excellent winter performer. However I am not surprised by the folks who claim it useless with UHP bald summer 295's in deep snow. 4wd and electronics can not make grip, only control what the tires make. Never tried it myself with summer tires in winter, as winter tires are the law where I live.

I am however surprised at the comments that by comparison a Subaru with bald summer tires can plough through a foot of snow no problems (albeit they have one of the best 4wd in the business, and lower mass). But to say a RWD pickup with summer tires can outdo a Cayenne in winter, now that defies logic ... I would suggest that poster check that his drivetrain is working properly, and that his handbrake is not seized!
Old 12-24-2013, 03:06 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

^ +1
Old 12-26-2013, 09:01 PM
DavieGravy
Instructor

I want to be clear that I'm not making the claim that a rear wheel drive truck can outperform a cayenne in the snow. I have never driven mine in the snow. I was simply getting feedback from others who have.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:56 PM
TozoM8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My google is broken. I can't find any videos where a subaru pulls a cayenne. Keep in mind there are a lot of 2WD cayenne outthere.

Quick Reply: 1st gen cayenne diff lock and snow performance