Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you guys condsider V8 cayennes timebombs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:14 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The best way to avoid the issue is to avoid cold starts in super cold climates by keeping the vehicle indoors. This is near impossible in some climates and thats why we see so much of this issue from Canadian Porsches. With the Cayenne being a year round vehicle these issues show up more with the engines than with 911s and etc that are seldom driven in inclimate weather.

The other issue is from a lubrication standpoint. However, my input on this topic is very biased and generally biased as I assist with the development of Driven Racing Oils offered by Joe Gibbs. Any input from a lubrication standpoint would take us way off topic.
What do you consider super cold? Here in metro Boston we typically only see single digits in F during the waking hours for a few days during the year. This year being the exception.

Same for negative numbers, pretty rare. Most of the winter is in the upper teens low twenties.

I know parts of Canada can get to -20s F for a typical winter..

Just out of curiosity, does Porsche do anything better with a remanufactured engine for a 996 from 2008? Do they do anything to the IMS bearings?
Old 01-05-2014, 09:06 PM
CdnRD
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's going to be -35 Celsius tonight (about -30 Fahrenheit) with a -52 wind chill. There are no block heaters for the Cayenne so only a pan heater on my S. I've been starting it and warming it every few hours so it doesn't get too cold. I assume I'm going to be talking to Flat6 Innovations at some point in the future!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:51 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting about the ambient temps being a factor. I first noticed the ticking sound on my old S while on a ski trip in the Cascades.

Flat 6, not to veer off topic too much, but since you compared the V8s to other Porsche engines ie M96, etc., what is your overall experience with the Cayenne V6 DFI compare to these engines?
Old 10-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Ty Wong
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The problem is the expansion rate of the two materials. When the engine is cold the clearance is too tight and the piston expands faster than the cylinder.
An alteration of both materials and running clearance has been required.
Do you know how much the coats are if I change the material?

Quick Reply: Would you guys condsider V8 cayennes timebombs?