Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q ?? 4,5L turbo vs 4,5L-S the same heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Here's my version and 5.3 liters worth.. LN Engineering Nickies. I have yet to build a single Cayenne engine using stock technology, or even a stock bore size. My very first one went straight to 5.1L and I never looked back.

While the block of the S may be Alusil as I mistakenly posted as Lokasil earlier (had my head up my *** in M96 engines) the S engines do have significant wear issues that do not impact the Turbo engines. We find this mostly in colder climates and a couple of Canadian dealerships have sought out our development to solve the issues that not even new crate engines could solve in the Canadian climate.

Want 100 extra HP? This is the package, it has a ton of torque across the entire RPM range and screams in the top end, too :-)
Old 11-25-2013, 02:14 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks nice. I love a clean and shiny engine.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:05 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyS
OK. But why is the turbos holding up better than the -S if it is the same...
I would attribute that to the Turbo engines using piston oil spray jets, which the naturally aspirated 4.5s did not have.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:01 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
I would attribute that to the Turbo engines using piston oil spray jets, which the naturally aspirated 4.5s did not have.
I have to agree with Tim and the sodium filled valves may also help in keeping the cylinder temps down. The 957s and I believe the 958s all of the V8s have oil spray piston cooling.

How big do you believe the scoring issue to be? There are close to 300,000 M48 engines out there and not too many unique internet posts on the problem which also seems to be mainly on 2004s. If you google any marque along with "bore score" you will find something.

How many real world issues have you seen?
Old 11-25-2013, 01:09 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyS
OK. But why is the turbos holding up better than the -S if it is the same... Here is where i would like to send a block http://www.928motorsports.com/services/uschrome.php .. Oh look the cylinder plating is 3 times thicker than the oem.
Tommy
I think that the article is stating that the US Chrome implementation can be more than 3 times as thick as a normal Nikasil coating it does not say Cayenne engines are Nikasil coated.

Why would a manufacturer go to the expense of producing a monolithic hyper eutectic alloy block and then coat it? Alusil blocks can be repaired by boring, honing and finally lapping to undercut the aluminium and expose the silicon.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mcbit
How big do you believe the scoring issue to be? There are close to 300,000 M48 engines out there and not too many unique internet posts on the problem which also seems to be mainly on 2004s. If you google any marque along with "bore score" you will find something.

How many real world issues have you seen?
In Alaska, around 20% (give or take) of the 955 Cayenne Ses that I worked on had motors replaced by Porsche, or needed replacement motors. Possibly a skewed sample, since I worked at the dealer, and most 955s were out of warranty, but it should give you an idea. It was definitely a much more common occurrence than I've seen in warmer climates. Also, I did see issues with 2005 & 2006 models.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The vast majority of scoring issues are found in the S engines and in colder climates. One thing that adds to this is the fact that there's only one piston offset in the engine, which puts one bank of cylinders more susceptible to skirt wear. The other issue is running clearances that were not altered for the introduction or forged pistons that have different expansion rates than their cast counterparts.

The Canadian dealerships we have done the work for all say that the replacement engines exhibit the same issues as the OE engines and can lead to a similar condition in what is sometimes a fairly short period of time.

I've never assembled a single Cayenne engine and retained the stock bores, OE alusil or not, I always strive to use our own technology when solving problems. When building S engines I equip them with piston squirters like the Turbo engine would have and upgrade much more while I am inside. Of all the modern Porsche engines we have developed NOTHING is as well built as the Cayenne engine, in fact its the only modern Porsche foundation that impresses me in factory form.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
......Of all the modern Porsche engines we have developed NOTHING is as well built as the Cayenne engine, in fact its the only modern Porsche foundation that impresses me in factory form.
Good to have your insight here Jake.

As an engine builder, can you comment on the wear state of the internal engine components regarding engines that used Mobil 1 or other brands of oil.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
Good to have your insight here Jake.

As an engine builder, can you comment on the wear state of the internal engine components regarding engines that used Mobil 1 or other brands of oil.
I don't enter those debates. I can say that no engine that leaves my facility is filled with M1 and the use of it is highly discouraged. The only oils that we utilize are those we have developed directly with Joe Gibbs Racing, they just happen to have my name on the bottle.

So I am completely biased on the topic and my insight only causes conflicts in open forums.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:22 PM
tommyS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AAAh . Great input about the scooring -S Engines. I ordered one of these today just trying to save my -S block a Little longer . http://www.lnengineering.com/revisedspofa.JPG ... A while ago i changed from Mob 1 5-50 .and bought a big jug 5,3 Gallon Mob 1 0-40 .
My change interval has Always been 16500 miles .. Maby ill change brand then. Always thought M 1 was the top of the line ?? I even bought an boore scope just to have Control of the scooring issue. But i Think its hard to see exactly whats going on on the walls . I took it to the Porsche chop and got a new Engine software ,and asked them to check the Engine with a boore scope. They said that they didnt have the experiense to determine if it was scooring or oil lines from the pistone rings. eehh . The Cayenne Engines they have changed was no misstake about what was going on because of the big knocking sound when the customer came in with the car..
reg Tommy

Last edited by tommyS; 11-27-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Q ?? 4,5L turbo vs 4,5L-S the same heads