POS space saving spare

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:39 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
Yeah, but has anyone tried it?
I had to use my collapsible spare once. It worked fine. Picked up a piece of road debris about 10 miles from the house and got the tire pressure warning on the dash. Swapped the tire out and was back on the road in 30 minutes. Part of that time was reading the manual to remember how to turn off the air suspension before I jacked the car up and finding the connection points for the air compressor. I had already prepared for the event by buying the wheel mounting guide bolts needed to simplify the tire swap.

I have a tire road hazard warranty at the dealer so they replaced the tire and deflated the spare. So it is possible.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Orantes
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by virkdoc
Sometimes tires which are completely deflated fail to expand with low pressure pumps....Try using a gas station air pump and they will inflate.
Absolutely true. My collapsible spare would not inflate using the air suspension lead. Had to keep pumping up the damaged tyre until I reached the gas station. Using the high pressure/volume pump at the gas station worked fine.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If not for the inflatable spare, Cayennes might be fitted with miserable run-flat tires.
Not all Cayennes have spares

Just depends on the options.

Mine for example is a dual battery with sub option, thus no spare! 110k on it and haven't needed it either.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:08 PM
modifier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe some are you are more **** about details, but I have a lot of things to maintain and just remembering to check the pressure in the spare that hides under the trunk is enough of a challenge. So taking the collapsible spare out and airing it up and then allowing "a few hours" for it to return to shape is simply not going to happen more than maybe once in 5 years. I wish Porsche had made room for a full size spare under the deck. Maybe less of a boat anchor muffler would have made more sense.

Oh well, better than no spare at all.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 549 Posts

If not for the inflatable spare, Cayennes might be fitted with miserable run-flat tires.
+1. I hated the RFT on my BMW and ditched them as soon as they are worn enough to warrant new tires.

Got some real tires after that and just bought a tire sealant kit.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 PM
westy66
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orantes
Absolutely true. My collapsible spare would not inflate using the air suspension lead. Had to keep pumping up the damaged tyre until I reached the gas station. Using the high pressure/volume pump at the gas station worked fine.
True. After a ride on a flatbed the dealer pumped up the space saver in 10 seconds. What I dont unde r stand is why the hell Porsche would install that POS if its only going to inflate half the time.

Quick Reply: POS space saving spare