Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Cayenne usually not considered as a part of Porsche family?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:34 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
it means a daft question does not deserve an answer
got it, bueno.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:22 AM
westy66
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Such rediculous arguements here. A few pictures of HIGHLY modified 911's do t make them off road vehicles. I can take ANY vehicle with 4 wheels and dump 25k into it and take it to moab.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:
The Macan can't be a Porsche either by this "logic".
Well it is about time us P!g owners have someone to look down on.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

exactly, its a piglet
Old 10-24-2013, 03:37 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by westy66
Such rediculous arguements here. A few pictures of HIGHLY modified 911's do t make them off road vehicles. I can take ANY vehicle with 4 wheels and dump 25k into it and take it to moab.
It cost you 25k to get into Moab?

Better get a hand stamp for that.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:53 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

OT but Johnny- need to say it, that avatar is one of the most ridiculous backsides I've ever seen.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting thread.

Claiming that 911 is off-road car is silly. Yes, factory 911 in any configuration can be driven on gravel roads. That does not make 911 an off road vehicle. Any car can be drive on light off-road terrain, but not every car will exceed at it. 911 can be driven, but in stock form it will not exceed. Do not bring up the Dakar Rally cars and one off modified versions, as they are world away from the 99.9% of 911s out there.

I drove my 996 on gravel roads and on the I88 Apache Trail (not my video, but gives you the idea)
.Yes it can do it, but you can also take a **** while standing on your head. This doesn't make ****ting while doing a head stand an appropriate way of taking a dump. In stock form 911 is low to the ground, has no approach angles, tires with small sidewalls, and extremely hard suspension. Driving around every rock to save tires, crawling over dips, sweating the headlights and coolant lines and doing weird approach angles gets boring fast. Unless I absolutely have to take my 996 off pavement, I will not do it again.

Cayenne is a true off road vehicle. 1g cars with proper tires actually make great off road vehicles, as Porsche spent a lot of time developing their 4x4 capabilities.

Oh, and here is my 911 parked off-road. Should I try Moab next?

Last edited by Kalashnikov; 10-26-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:13 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
it means a daft question does not deserve an answer
Au contraire, mon frere. They deserve detailed answers that lead to infighting.

Even the most ardent P!g-bashers freely admit that the Cayenne is pure Porsche, for a minimum of 25% of the vehicle.

Just yesterday I saw a suspicious looking orange 911, right here in the last outpost of desert civilization. I've seen some Boxsters, a 997, and a couple of P!gs, but this was new. GT3 orange, but with badge delete and no side graphics. I pull up next to him in my P!g at our stoplight and ask if it's a GT3. Yup, he hated the side graphics and badge so he deleted. I was proud as I drove away flashing my genuine Porsche 'Cayenne S' badge. I would have been too embarrassed to even speak to him if I was in the 996.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:15 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Hah, in a lot of countries, this is considered ON road. And you do with 1.4l front engine, 2 wheel FWD econo boxes without problems!

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Interesting thread.

Claiming that 911 is off-road car is silly. Yes, factory 911 in any configuration can be driven on gravel roads. That does not make 911 an off road vehicle. Any car can be drive on light off-road terrain, but not every car will exceed at it. 911 can be driven, but in stock form it will not exceed. Do not bring up the Dakar Rally cars and one off modified versions, as they are world away from the 99.9% of 911s out there.

I drove my 996 on gravel roads and on the I88 Apache Trail (not my video, but gives you the idea) I88 Apache Trail .Yes it can do it, but you can also take a **** while standing on your head. This doesn't make ****ting while doing a head stand an appropriate way of taking a dump. In stock form 911 is low to the ground, has no approach angles, tires with small sidewalls, and extremely hard suspension. Driving around every rock to save tires, crawling over dips, sweating the headlights and coolant lines and doing weird approach angles gets boring fast. Unless I absolutely have to take my 996 off pavement, I will not do it again.

Cayenne is a true off road vehicle. 1g cars with proper tires actually make great off road vehicles, as Porsche spent a lot of time developing their 4x4 capabilities.

Oh, and here is my 911 parked off-road. Should I try Moab next?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

This is quickly headed to the My Atari is Better than your Commodore or My playstation is better than your xbox. Mac is better than PC. Bleh, they all do different things and you are happy be happy.

Anyways way I look at it is 2 things.
1. Porsche takes a platform and makes it do things that you think are impossible, and in my mind cool. I think a lot of people are comparing it to a 911, which almost always has been designed to be a street legal RACE car. They cayenne, and the newer 911s have that mentality, but started adding luxury items not required in order to appeal to a broader market and save the company.

The Cayenne in my mind was how do we take a 911 type concept and make an SUV out of it, the SUV is the frivolous part.

2. No matter how you look at it, VW gave Porsche the funding to come up with the SUV platform. I don't know how much if any input VW had other than it had to be a high performance SUV and probably use VAG electronics.

I don't recall if it was a BMW designer or someone from another German car manufacture, but he was talking about how he doesn't get why americans care so much about cup holders, stereos, power seats, light steering etc. A German wants a car that can feel the road, make them one with the machine and enjoy the driving experience. Not a virtual living room with the TV.

If this is true, I think that was what Porsche was doing "wrong" all these years, by looking at their own wants, and not a world market.

Cars like the Cayenne are the compromises.

Is an Apple iPhone really an Apple product? Parts sourced and assemble from around the world. Maybe the CPU is designed by them but they have a foreign market make it. Same with the case.

Maybe Porsche should be Designed by Porsche in Stuttgart, DE.

Makes me think of Theseus's paradox, is it really still a Porsche? The ghost is in the machine. The axe is the Porsche in this case, video not for the squeamish.

Originally Posted by Divot
Au contraire, mon frere. They deserve detailed answers that lead to infighting.

Even the most ardent P!g-bashers freely admit that the Cayenne is pure Porsche, for a minimum of 25% of the vehicle.

Just yesterday I saw a suspicious looking orange 911, right here in the last outpost of desert civilization. I've seen some Boxsters, a 997, and a couple of P!gs, but this was new. GT3 orange, but with badge delete and no side graphics. I pull up next to him in my P!g at our stoplight and ask if it's a GT3. Yup, he hated the side graphics and badge so he deleted. I was proud as I drove away flashing my genuine Porsche 'Cayenne S' badge. I would have been too embarrassed to even speak to him if I was in the 996.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:27 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

How about we settle that the Cayenne is a high clearance vehicle while the other P-cars are not?

After all, 'off road' to many means it demands a high clearance. Where I am there is little mud most of the time but always rocks and holes. We took the Cayenne, at full height, over a 'road' which would have killed any of those 911's in the videos due to them hitting their undercarriages on the protruding rocks.

However give a current C4 a good set of tires and I'd prefer it in the loose over the CTT.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:51 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
Porsche originally designed and engineered the chassis/platform for the Cayenne.
Audi and VW then based their vehicles on that platform.
This is correct.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:44 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
Hah, in a lot of countries, this is considered ON road. And you do with 1.4l front engine, 2 wheel FWD econo boxes without problems!
Zactly. When I lived in Denver Colorado in the 1960s, I took my '61 Mercury Comet on mountain trails that a 2013 "offroader" wouldn't venture down without a lifted Rubicon on 32s and a big winch on his bumper. Its not uncommon here (Sedona AZ) for the $100-a-head "jeep tours" to be passed on a forest road by a tourist in a rented Altima sedan.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:52 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
OT but Johnny- need to say it, that avatar is one of the most ridiculous backsides I've ever seen.
Isn't it!

I think, but don't know for sure, that that is Australian Nicky Whelan. There's a rumor that she's a Cayenne fan girl. (I know because I just started the rumor.)

Here's what the other half looks like. I think that's my volleyball.

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 08-31-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
I think that's my volleyball.
It's nice of you to let her play with your *****.

Quick Reply: Is Cayenne usually not considered as a part of Porsche family?