Sponsored by:

Cayenne 955 support E85?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 01:40 PM
linksamui
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne 955 support E85?

Like the title say. Does the 955 957 pretty much the cayennes' line up support E85? I saw some tuner support E85 and with a lot of the station popping up around the city. I'm wondering if we could just fill up our cayenne with E85 and it would be ok to run with it or do we have to do modifications to fully support it. From my search on the injectors it seem they support E85 but not sure about all the other fuelling system.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:44 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know, myself... but I'll bet a dollar that if I needed the answer to this question I would find it in the owner's manual somewhere .
Old 10-20-2013, 02:12 PM
linksamui
Advanced

looked but will double checked again.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:26 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

D'oh! I think I just lost a dollar because I didn't find it in my manual either... but I did learn that methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl may negatively effect emission control system performance, so that's interesting.

About E85 in a Cayenne, I'd say that's a very BAD idea.

That is simply because it is my understanding that all cars that can run E85 are marked FFV for flex fuel vehicle.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:12 PM
linksamui
Advanced

my was too i was looking to upgrade my injectors and i found out that it support E85 then it got me curious about if it possible to run or not. It would run it on occasion. Maybe for going cruising on weekend.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
D'oh! I think I just lost a dollar because I didn't find it in my manual either... but I did learn that methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl may negatively effect emission control system performance, so that's interesting.

That is simply because it is my understanding that all cars that can run E85 are marked FFV for flex fuel vehicle.
As far I know, if you put some E85 in your engine it will corrode lots in internal parts and the internal seals which are not designed to withstand this fuel spec will not perform. Fuel ratio vs air is also involved, nice topic to talk about in a BBQ with some cold beers here in Houston...

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 10-21-2013, 03:10 PM
linksamui
Advanced

E85 would do that? wow sound horrible.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:45 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

E85 requires the use of specialized o-rings and seals in the fuel system to prevent degradation by the ethanol.

It will also give you 30-50% worse fuel economy. CTT fuel economy is bad enough already.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:02 PM
TozoM8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuel pump would die in a day. 76K btu (ethanol) vs 114K btu (gasoline) so around 1.5 gal ethanol =1 gal gasoline
Old 10-21-2013, 07:32 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas

Anything marked as an FFV means the fuel system is designed for E85 but additionally the ECU must be able to recognize the fuel and compensate for it. Plenty of cars have the hardware to handle E85 but not the software.

Originally Posted by Jochy
As far I know, if you put some E85 in your engine it will corrode lots in internal parts and the internal seals which are not designed to withstand this fuel spec will not perform. Fuel ratio vs air is also involved, nice topic to talk about in a BBQ with some cold beers here in Houston...

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Many cars on the road have fuel systems that will work with E85.

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
E85 requires the use of specialized o-rings and seals in the fuel system to prevent degradation by the ethanol.

It will also give you 30-50% worse fuel economy. CTT fuel economy is bad enough already.
The stoich ratio is approx 21% different from gasoline, and fuel economy will vary near the same number. Remember, the cost of E85 is also a fair amount lower which makes up for the price.

Originally Posted by TozoM8
The fuel pump would die in a day. 76K btu (ethanol) vs 114K btu (gasoline) so around 1.5 gal ethanol =1 gal gasoline
It doesnt work like that. The ECU doesnt calculate fuel trims based on thermal energy but on optimized burn ratios (stoichiometric). The engine is designed to run within certain target AFRs at certain RPMs, as specified while initial engine tuning is done. An aftermarket tuner can change these values to whatever works. The nice thing about E85 is that although thermal energy is lower than gasoline, E85 also has a lower tendency to pre-ignite/detonate. This means fuel trims can be leaner while staying safely within cylinder temperature ranges and having a much lower risk of knocking.

Additionally, fuel pumps are controlled by voltage coming from the battery. They dont work harder in response to lean AFRs so they wouldnt fail quicker.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
. CTT fuel economy is bad enough already.
Compared to what other 500hp 4wd sports car that seats 5 and tows 7700lbs??

Fuel economy is relative
Old 10-22-2013, 02:02 PM
linksamui
Advanced

nice reply ScorpionT.

I spoke to the garage that do the conversion here. They would have to change all the o-rings the fuel hoses to meet E85 standard, they would also have to find larger injectors to support the injection for E85 since it would need 40-60% more fuel in comparison to normal gasoline injection. E85 equivalent of 105 octane closely to race fuel. I been in mercedes benz that had the conversion done and it ran very well. Although fuel consumption is down about 60% from what you get on a full tank of gasoline/petrol. So if you get 400km to full tank and you'll get 250-280km to full tank. Would have to do more study on this before I make the decision. Where I am E85 is half the cost of gasoline. So it may not be best.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:43 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

F**K ethanol all it does is boost Monsanto's bottom line and cars run worse on it. *ahem* excuse me.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:48 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by endless_corners
F**K ethanol all it does is boost Monsanto's bottom line and cars run worse on it. *ahem* excuse me.
The market is demanding it.

I mean, it's not like they got their "bought and paid for" members of congress to mandate it and force the taxpayers to fund it.

Oh, wait... my sweater is inside out.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:50 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Exactly - Ethanol promotion is all industry, lobby, and policy driven. I effing hate ethanol. The last thing we need is another input stream fueling BT corn planting. /rant

Quick Reply: Cayenne 955 support E85?