Sponsored by:

Diesel Preheating Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:14 PM
dlchasen
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diesel Preheating Indicator Light

This warning light started flashing tonight. Max RPM was 2,500. I have the Blue Spark, but it's been fine for six months. Any ideas?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:43 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the flashing GP icon occasionally, but it wasn't associated with any rpm limitation. But if you were trying to rev past 2500 in either Park or Neutral, that's normal. It's a Porsche thing, nothing to do with BlueSpark. Simply restarting the engine is all it took to clear the GP icon on mine.

//greg//
Old 10-18-2013, 12:31 AM
dlchasen
Track Day

Originally Posted by grohgreg
I got the flashing GP icon occasionally, but it wasn't associated with any rpm limitation. But if you were trying to rev past 2500 in either Park or Neutral, that's normal. It's a Porsche thing, nothing to do with BlueSpark. Simply restarting the engine is all it took to clear the GP icon on mine.

//greg//
The rpm limitation was while driving. Restarting the engine won't clear the flashing GP indicator.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:45 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Ok. Nope, that never happened with mine. Although having said that, when my GP icon came on it was steady - not flashing.

What I suggest is to disconnect the tuning box to confirm whether or not BlueSpark has anything to do with it. You can either open the front and switch the dial to Map0, or physically remove the four connectors and reconnect the OE connectors.

Do you have an OBD2 type code reader/analyzer? It would help to know what diagnostic code is associated with that GP icon.

//greg//
Old 10-18-2013, 12:49 PM
dlchasen
Track Day

I switched to Map 0, and the problem persisted. I removed the unit and reconnected with the OE connectors and the problem was corrected. Looks like I'm back to stock. Unfortunately, I do not have a code reader.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:12 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Ok, our problems are similar. But you have an ECM diagnostic code that needs to be cleared. Had you that capability, removing the box would not have been necessary. I have an iOBD2 appliance (code reader/analyzer) that works with a smartphone or tablet. I cleared the offending code without ever leaving the driver seat.

I believe your issue may be as a result of the BlueSpark box power adjust pot set too high. Restarting your engine with the box disconnected likely cleared your code. I believe if you turn down the Power setting a bit before reinstalling the box, this issue may not return. Thats why there are 9 maps and a master power adjustment: so that you can tweak the box to your specific needs

//greg//
Old 10-18-2013, 03:05 PM
dlchasen
Track Day

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Ok, our problems are similar. But you have an ECM diagnostic code that needs to be cleared. Had you that capability, removing the box would not have been necessary. I have an iOBD2 appliance (code reader/analyzer) that works with a smartphone or tablet. I cleared the offending code without ever leaving the driver seat.

I believe your issue may be as a result of the BlueSpark box power adjust pot set too high. Restarting your engine with the box disconnected likely cleared your code. I believe if you turn down the Power setting a bit before reinstalling the box, this issue may not return. Thats why there are 9 maps and a master power adjustment: so that you can tweak the box to your specific needs

//greg//
I was running on Map7. Worked great for over 4 months, 3 of which were at high altitude (8,000 ft.). Interestingly, I emailed Bluespark about this and so far they have not responded.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:35 PM
grohgreg
Pro

The GP icon business continued with my box for months, but always on a cold engine. And only every 15th time or so at that. All I had to so was keep resetting the code. Eventually, a GP icon popped on while underway with a filly warmed engine. Coded it, but within the hour it progressed into a full blown engine code. At that point I bypassed the box and went on my way.

BlueSpark was responsive, and promptly replaced the box. But I suspect they may have sent me a used/returned/reconditioned box, cuz this replacement doesn't seem right. I too have recently found them unresponsive. My guess is that there's some significant difference between the Porsche Euro-spec ECM and the US-spec ECM, and that the BSP+ box that we're importing from England can't cope with the US-spec ECM. At least with the settings they recommend anyway. But until Bluespark responds, that's pure speculation.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 10-19-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:37 PM
dlchasen
Track Day

Cornwallis' revenge.

Quick Reply: Diesel Preheating Indicator Light