Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap place for TPMS sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:56 AM
modifier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone get me up to speed on these things please?

Are they year specific?

Can you tell if wheels have them without dismounting tires? I bought a set of used wheels and don't know if they are in there?

They have batteries? I guess that makes sense. So they wear out? How long? I haven't seen batteries offered for sale. Standard or specialty battery? What kind?

Thanks

Last edited by modifier; 10-18-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:09 AM
modifier
Instructor

Double post. Some how.

Last edited by modifier; 10-18-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:11 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think they are sealed in so you replace the whole sensor every 4-6 years about.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:19 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I bought for my 997 at oewheels Had discount tire install them. Learned quickly.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sens...ts-for-Porsche
Old 10-18-2013, 11:34 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
I bought for my 997 at oewheels Had discount tire install them. Learned quickly.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sens...ts-for-Porsche
If you look at the pictures closely, you will see they are selling the Oroteks I suggested above. Affordable and get the job done. No problems getting them linked in with the TPMS receiver on the vehicle, either.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:02 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by modifier
Could someone get me up to speed on these things please?

Are they year specific?

Can you tell if wheels have them without dismounting tires? I bought a set of used wheels and don't know if they are in there?

They have batteries? I guess that makes sense. So they wear out? How long? I haven't seen batteries offered for sale. Standard or specialty battery? What kind?

Thanks
Wheels with TPMS have a very large threaded cylindrical nut around the tire stem versus a flat nut with no cylindrical portion - look at the online ads to see what that nut looks like.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:36 PM
inspired626
Track Day

www.shoptpms.com and www.wheeldynamics.com are a couple of places that you should call for sensors.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Brit6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt the same way you did, but i was tierd of the "Monitoring Off' coming up in the cluster everytime i started the Cayenne.

I have installed them and i absolutley love them! The little cluster icon that shows each individual psi is cool and makes me feel safe when driving!

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I just dont see the point of spending money on TPMS. I disabled mine in the settings because the batteries ran out. I'm loath to spend a couple hundred dollars when its so easy to check the pressure with a gauge. What am I missing? Is there some benefit or is it just to be lazy?
Old 10-18-2013, 02:00 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I just dont see the point of spending money on TPMS. I disabled mine in the settings because the batteries ran out. I'm loath to spend a couple hundred dollars when its so easy to check the pressure with a gauge. What am I missing? Is there some benefit or is it just to be lazy?
I hold same opinion. Had my system off for years, too.

Even WITH the sensors I still check the pressure with a gauge. And, I was born with one or two useless gifts... one of the useless gifts is the ability to tell that a tire(s) on the car I'm driving are slowly going flat. My gift also includes ability to tell which tires are over-inflated. It's a pretty amazing power, like superman, so I deal with it.

Finally decided to put new sensors in and turn the system back on just to get the "tire / exclamation point" MIL on startup to go away.

Honestly, the decision to go back to sensors was an ego thing. Seeing that MIL on startup on a car that I lovingly maintain was an insult to my mechanic-ego. So, I killed the MIL with the new sensors.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:01 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

So how do I enable this on my mfi to shut off toms on my 2009?
Old 10-18-2013, 02:19 PM
modifier
Instructor

The previous owner doesn't remember if the wheels have them or not. His stock wheels did. They were on an 09 TurboS. He thinks the newer Cayennes have different sensors.

So if they wheels have them, and the batteries are still good, they still may not work.

Anybody know?
Old 10-18-2013, 02:48 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by touareg
So how do I enable this on my mfi to shut off toms on my 2009?
It's in the menu thingy on my '06.

TO MAIN MENU, then TYRE PRESS., then SETTINGS, and down at the bottom of that menu is the SYSTEM OFF/ON choice.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

If my settings doesn't show TPMS system, Can I buy'em and install it and finally make it work in my '06 955 ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 10-18-2013, 03:17 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jochy
If my settings doesn't show TPMS system, Can I buy'em and install it and finally make it work in my '06 955 ?
Thanks

I don't know, myself, but I know who would know... Andraya Hayward at Sunset Porsche up in Oregon. Google Sunset Porsche and send a parts inquiry to the parts department via email.

She'll know. And, she'll reply in minutes. You'll get the best price quote, too.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas

I don't know, myself, but I know who would know... Andraya Hayward at Sunset Porsche up in Oregon. Google Sunset Porsche and send a parts inquiry to the parts department via email.

She'll know. And, she'll reply in minutes. You'll get the best price quote, too.
Thank you for your feedback, I will find it now today !!😃👍

Quick Reply: Cheap place for TPMS sensors