Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary fuel pump failed while on road trip - please advise

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:35 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never mind my questions there is another thread active answering them all in great detail.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:04 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Man, What's going on.... you're the 3rd person with a Gen 1 Cayenne this month with this Fuel Filter/Pump issue. I wonder what's taking out these Filters/fuel pumps. Is it the gas? How many miles does folks have on their PIG with this issue. Please tell.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:07 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I have a 114k. I use name brand gas 99% of the time. Ironically, I had filled up at arco right before I left. I just can't blame the gas though... my ML ate two fuel pumps at 130k.. one right after the other.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:43 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
Man, What's going on.... you're the 3rd person with a Gen 1 Cayenne this month with this Fuel Filter/Pump issue. I wonder what's taking out these Filters/fuel pumps. Is it the gas? How many miles does folks have on their PIG with this issue. Please tell.
The pumps on my 05 CTT also failed somewhere in the region of 110k miles.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't know if this makes anyone feel better or not but it wasn't that long ago that BMW had major issues with their HP Fuel Pumps on the _35's, some were reporting 3 and 4 pump replacements in less than 50k mi.
However BMW stepped up and announced they would warranty cover the HPFP's for 100k mi. IIRC.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:57 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsche has a workshop campaign for replacement HPFP on the V8 DFI engines.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:34 PM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHRERA

I can tell you one reason for the failures are the temprature of the pumps. The get cooled by the fuel arround. If you drive your car always until the last drop there is no cooling anymore and thats not good for this sensitive part.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:57 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Yeah thats a good point. Interesting too because lately I had been running the tank lower than usual before top offs. I'm going to make sure to keep the fuel levels higher from now on.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ekstroemtj
I can tell you one reason for the failures are the temprature of the pumps. The get cooled by the fuel arround. If you drive your car always until the last drop there is no cooling anymore and thats not good for this sensitive part.
Makes sense, I just pickup my 04 CS and I'm hearing the starter grind intermittently, I'm hoping it's not a sign the Fuel pump is going out or possibly the starter going. I purchased the CS from my friend not sure if he ran the tank down to the last drop. I'll make sure I refuel the tank no less than a .25 tank. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:29 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Starter grinding is not the sign of a bad fuel pump IMO. A rough idle and a stuttering on acceleration with flat spots especially at low rpms is. Also my MPG readout on the display had been showing worse gas mileage for a couple weeks. I bet that was an early sign because the pump wasnt metering properly or something and throwing the computer off. A grinding starter though may indicate that the coolant pipes are or have leaked in the past.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:54 PM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Loss of power, unusual rev behavior , high fuel cunsumption, some sort of stottering at high speed or if you floor the pedal. Thats what i had when the pumps say good bye
Old 10-17-2013, 07:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Starter grinding is not the sign of a bad fuel pump IMO. A rough idle and a stuttering on acceleration with flat spots especially at low rpms is. Also my MPG readout on the display had been showing worse gas mileage for a couple weeks. I bet that was an early sign because the pump wasnt metering properly or something and throwing the computer off. A grinding starter though may indicate that the coolant pipes are or have leaked in the past.
A starter that doesn't disengage when the engine starts can be a sign of a bad fuel pump - or fuel filter. If the system doesn't hold pressure - when you go to start the engine the automatic crank system takes over (keeps the starter running until the engine achieves some RPM) can remain engaged - but the engine isn't running at full speed (or fast enough to disengage the auto-start system.)

BTDT - was a bad check valve in the fuel filter (found by CPO funded process of elimination - new fuel pumps, new pressure regulator, new fuel filter finally fixed it.)
Old 07-03-2020, 03:41 AM
Chris Jenkins
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary vs secondary fuel pump

I need to change my primary fuel pump on my 2004 Porsche Cayenne S. Which side is the primary and which is the secondary??

Quick Reply: Primary fuel pump failed while on road trip - please advise