Sponsored by:

PCA - why bother?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:05 AM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackland
10% PCA discount at my dealer pays for the membership. I enjoy the magazine.
Exact same reason why I joined at the time when I needed it.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ask not what your club can do for you but rather what you can do for your club.

PCA is only as good as the volunteers themselves that donate much of their precious time to the club. Cayenne ownership may be high yet most Cayenne owners/PCA members have other P-cars and will rarely show up at PCA events with their P!gs. Maybe now's the time to start something new and give the Cayenne the club exposure it deserves?
Old 10-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Page 363 of the new Christophorus has an article on the Cayenne Turbo S that includes an amazing photo of the vehicle climbing a 60 degree slope. Maybe Porsche is going to make more of an effort to promote understanding of the Cayenne's capabilities?
Old 10-10-2013, 12:18 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
In the last few months, I've done the following with my PCA region:
  • Attended 5 Cars & Coffee events
  • Attended a classic car show and dinner
  • Did a Time, Speed, Distance rally
  • Did a group drive up to the local mountains.
  • Attended a baseball game where the PCA region got a reserved seat section
  • Attended a "3rd Tuesday of the Month" dinner.
  • Attended Porsche Driving School and an Autocross
  • Got a discount for service at my local indy shop
  • Signed up for an upcoming DE
  • Ordered parts for a couple cars, at a great price (one of my PCA chapter members owns a parts supply business)
  • Received reams of great advice
  • Met a bunch of great people
  • Some other stuff I can't recall at the moment

So, if you're not getting anything out of it, my guess is that you aren't putting anything into it.

That's true. It's rather fun to taunt Boxster owners, but I do have to tolerate a lot of berating from the aircooled owners. And, I'm quite sure I have never spoken to a Cayenne owner (at least not knowingly).
Since I don't see a Cayenne in your list of cars.. I'm guessing you missed the point a bit. Did you do all the driving events in a Cayenne?
Old 10-10-2013, 12:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by pcst
Exact same reason why I joined at the time when I needed it.
If the dealer offers a service discount for the PCA members, and you're using dealer service - then it would pay for itself. My dealer doesn't, and I don't use the dealer for service once the Cayenne was out of warranty. They do offer 10% off on parts- but that price can easily be beaten with 5 minutes on the Internet, and you get the parts delivered to your door by a uniformed messenger. Usually faster than the dealer can get me any part they don't carry in stock (which is most Cayenne parts..)

Just a random thing - the BMW Car Club of America (BMW-CCA) has a program with BMW-USA where if you are a CCA member for one year, and you buy/lease a new or certified used BMW from a BMW dealer, you receive $$$ back directly from BMW. Depending on the model - the $$$ ranges from $500-1,500. This DOES pay for the CCA membership for a long time, even if used only once. BMW just expanded this policy to their motorcycles - and the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America (BMW-MOA).
Old 10-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Hagel
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been a PCA member for 2 years now, although my current cayenne is the 4th Porsche I've owned. To me the 10% parts / service discount from my dealer, the discount I get from my local tire shop, and the Porscheplatz at the ALMS / GrandAm (USC going forward) races pay for the membership. The additional benefits of the Rally's (which I haven't done yet, but plan to), Concourses and Tech Talk meetings are a nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

You have to remember, just because the Cayenne / Panamera are the #1 sellers, most of the owners (at least the majority I meet out on the street) seem to buy it for the prestige NOT for the motorsports (where I feel the PCA has more of a focus).

Would I like to see more Cayenne owners at the events... YES, but just as much, I'd like to see some of the younger Porsche members at the events as well. Although like other members here have already said, and that is true for most things, you get out of it what you put into it...
Old 10-10-2013, 01:40 PM
TheDatanator
Instructor

I love cars. I love German cars. I love all things Porsche. At the most basic level, the incremental cost of PCA membership is a subscription to a great periodical from PCA plus a killer newsletter from my local chapter. No different than my AutoWeek subscription...........
Old 10-10-2013, 01:43 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with the datanator. The magazine is worth the price of admission alone.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Years back, the CFO of PCNA asked me what the price of annual membership was for PCA. I told him $43/year (it's gone up to $46 since then). He nearly fell out of his chair. He said he thought it was close to $100. If business stays good, I'm shopping for a diesel Cayenne in the spring....
Old 10-10-2013, 03:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Haven't been a PCA member for years...surprisingly, I am still allowed to own Porsches.

If you are even asking why, you shouldn't renew. You won't miss much IMHO.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
If business stays good, I'm shopping for a diesel Cayenne in the spring....
Manny, if this happens, do we get to see you & Vu in one of your famous videos?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Since I don't see a Cayenne in your list of cars.. I'm guessing you missed the point a bit. Did you do all the driving events in a Cayenne?
No Cayenne here. My point was, all of these PCA events could just have easily been done in a Cayenne as in a 911.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
No Cayenne here. My point was, all of these PCA events could just have easily been done in a Cayenne as in a 911.
ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. PCA has over 3500 driving events per year between the US and Canada. 1/2 of 1%, at most, is targeted towards a specific model. 2012 the Cayman Register had their gathering at VIR. It was part of the Zone 2 DE. It was uber cool to see close to 50 Cayman in one place. Outside of their cars, I couldn't pick a Cayman owner anymore than I could pick a 911 owner. I do remember who acted like a jerk (think it was one guy out of 230 entrants), but to this day, I can't remember what he drove.

I drive an old 24 year old 911. I'm not making a statement by driving an old air cooled Porsche (well, other than the fact that I have three kids that all want to go to college), right now it's what I can afford to have as a 'fun' car. Anyone want to trade me even up for a 997 GT3, please email me Diesel Cayenne will be replacing a Tahoe (handles like an iceberg). Can't wait autocross it. I drove an Hybrid Cayenne at the Parade autocross and surprised quite a few people.

As someone said, yes, you can own as many Porsches as you want and not belong to PCA. You'll probably be in the majority. BUT, if you to hang out with folks who like to have fun with their Porsches (we're talking real life not forums) then PCA or any other car group is something you should try.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The PCA has open houses at local dealers and shops - which are then packed with 911 owners where the aircooled owners distain anyone with water cooling, and the water cooled 911 owners distaining the Boxster owners. I don't think they'll even talk to someone who arrives in a Cayenne.
I just figured out why I don't talk to myself.

But really I do.

I'm so confused...

Old 10-11-2013, 10:30 AM
wds928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Manny, I'll let you know when my Cayenne Diesel arrives in early December. The wait is the hardest part!

Quick Reply: PCA - why bother?