Sponsored by:

System Fault - Headlamp

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 11:48 PM
man03999
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System Fault - Headlamp

Hello I'm here new, been reading on the forum for couple days now. LOTS OF GREAT INFO! Anyways I just bought a 2008 Cayenne S with 32k on the clock but i have some problems.

The truck came with Dipped Beam Check. The driver side low beam would turn on for the few seconds , flicks , and shut off. I order new D1S bulb and a used ballast to fix the problem but now when i turn on the car I would get a System Fault Headlamp message. Both side lights are working but it seems like the driver side low beam will not auto level/adjust when i turn on the car. Did i mess something up?

Went I went for a test drive after the install of new bulb and ballast and I noticed my radio would shut off after couple mins. It display a message on the head unit saying "Engine off operation is only possible for a short time" Like when I don't have the key in. The wipers will not work. I fixed it with disconnecting the battery under the driver seat for a couple mins but the System Fault Headlamp message is still showing.

Please help!
Old 09-29-2013, 03:45 AM
man03999
4th Gear

After more researching I came across this site.

"Unfortunately, you have to have the control unit programmed. Here is the procedure for programming if you have it available.

Control unit was replaced.
PIWIS Tester 9718 must be connected to the vehicle. Start the PIWIS Tester and switch on ignition.
Select vehicle type.
Switch to the control units and press >>.
Select new control unit for gas-discharge headlight Headlight control unit, left or Headlight control unit, right using the cursor keys and press >>.
Switch to the Control unit replacement menu and press >>.
The Tester displays the required coding variants. Note them down if necessary and press >>.
Enter the VIN or copy it by pressing >>.
Confirm the VIN by pressing F7. >>.
Select the Chassis variant and press >>..
Select the headlight type static cornering light and press >>.
Select the headlight type dynamic cornering light and press >>.
Select the Country version and press >>.
The coding is displayed. If this coding is OK, code it by pressing F8.
Observe message Vehicle must be stationary on the Tester. >>.
The message Resetting appears on the Tester. Control unit was replaced successfully. >>.
Switch ignition off and then on again.
If the fault Headlight system fault now appears in the instrument cluster, read out the fault memory in the replaced control unit, e.g. Headlight control unit, left and in the control unit that was not replaced, e.g. Headlight control unit, right. If the fault is 1044 Control unit coded incorrectly or 15586 Control unit software function error, the new control unit was programmed using a more recent software version than the old control unit. If this is the case, the old control unit (which was not replaced) must also be re-programmed using the same procedure as described in Steps 5 to 18 above.
Check that the headlights are working correctly by switching on the lights."

Source: http://www.justanswer.com/porsche/5y...-nnn-nnnn.html

Can someone chip in on this? Can a Durametric cable program the control unit?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

No, the Durametric tool cannot program the control unit. This is a procedure that must be performed by a shop that owns a PIWIS II tool. Or, you can take it to your dealer. Those, unfortunately, are your only options.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:19 PM
man03999
4th Gear

Oh i see. Thanks for the help Toby! Going to call the dealer tomorrow to see how much they will charge for this kind of service.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:53 PM
revolution993
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 66 Posts

Oh man i have the same exact problem Did you figure it out if you have to go to the dealer to reprogram?
Originally Posted by man03999
Hello I'm here new, been reading on the forum for couple days now. LOTS OF GREAT INFO! Anyways I just bought a 2008 Cayenne S with 32k on the clock but i have some problems.

The truck came with Dipped Beam Check. The driver side low beam would turn on for the few seconds , flicks , and shut off. I order new D1S bulb and a used ballast to fix the problem but now when i turn on the car I would get a System Fault Headlamp message. Both side lights are working but it seems like the driver side low beam will not auto level/adjust when i turn on the car. Did i mess something up?

Went I went for a test drive after the install of new bulb and ballast and I noticed my radio would shut off after couple mins. It display a message on the head unit saying "Engine off operation is only possible for a short time" Like when I don't have the key in. The wipers will not work. I fixed it with disconnecting the battery under the driver seat for a couple mins but the System Fault Headlamp message is still showing.

Please help!
Old 03-13-2016, 04:09 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

I rather doubt if you'll get an answer. His last post was in 2013, and he only posted 4 times - likely for problems - and like a lot of people, he didn't bother posting what the resolution to his problem was.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:12 AM
revolution993
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I rather doubt if you'll get an answer. His last post was in 2013, and he only posted 4 times - likely for problems - and like a lot of people, he didn't bother posting what the resolution to his problem was.
Yea kinda sucks guess i am gonna have to go to the stealership and get this check out.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:12 PM
revolution993
Three Wheelin'

Update went to the dealer they don't even know how to reprogram it wasted 2 hours of my time.
Saying i have a aftermarket control unit.
Its the exact same one from hella.
Anyone could chime in???
This is really pissing me off..
Old 03-21-2016, 11:32 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...going-out.html
Old 03-21-2016, 11:37 AM
957austin
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

The same style Hella ballasts are used in a lot of different cars. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that certain versions could not be reprogrammed (e.g. if you buy a used ballast previously programmed for a Mercedes, it would not be able to be reprogrammed for the Cayenne). I'm not sure on any compatibility specifics between brands and models, but I would only buy a used ballast that came from a Cayenne.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:19 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

The control units may all be made by Hella, but they vary in details that matter to Porsche's electronics. I tried using a generic Hella control unit when one of mine failed, probably a Mercedes-Benz version. The lights worked but the control unit wouldn't "talk" to the central electronics, and it would cause a bunch of the steering wheel and PCM electronics to shut off randomly if you can believe that.

Even the Porsche versions don't mix. I had .00 or .01 versions, had to buy two new .03 versions when just one had failed. I reprogrammed them using the PIWIS that a shop owner friend has. The PIWIS tool is confusing, wretched user experience, and I sympathize and can understand even a dealer tech struggling to use it. For example, I initially entered the vehicle VIN using lower case letters, it didn't work, no error message just didn't take. Only when I reentered with upper case did it take.

As much as I enjoy my Cayenne, I intensely dislike all the sensors and control units that seem to do nothing except fail and complain. Like I have some problem now with the level sensing electronics and headlamp leveling stuff, which I have zero use for.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:48 PM
revolution993
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KevinGross
The control units may all be made by Hella, but they vary in details that matter to Porsche's electronics. I tried using a generic Hella control unit when one of mine failed, probably a Mercedes-Benz version. The lights worked but the control unit wouldn't "talk" to the central electronics, and it would cause a bunch of the steering wheel and PCM electronics to shut off randomly if you can believe that. Even the Porsche versions don't mix. I had .00 or .01 versions, had to buy two new .03 versions when just one had failed. I reprogrammed them using the PIWIS that a shop owner friend has. The PIWIS tool is confusing, wretched user experience, and I sympathize and can understand even a dealer tech struggling to use it. For example, I initially entered the vehicle VIN using lower case letters, it didn't work, no error message just didn't take. Only when I reentered with upper case did it take. As much as I enjoy my Cayenne, I intensely dislike all the sensors and control units that seem to do nothing except fail and complain. Like I have some problem now with the level sensing electronics and headlamp leveling stuff, which I have zero use for. Good luck!
Thanks guys for the reply yah looks like i will have to buy 2 new control unit and get it program at the dealers SMH..
Old 07-04-2022, 12:15 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

FWIW I am having the same isssue. 15586 Code.

I suspect that the (proving highly incompetent) shop that repaired what must have been a doozy front end collision, replaced the headlight modules, but not the central one (or also the central one, but the wrong one).

so I hope to try this (need to find a PIWIS), and if I remember I’ll report back here and/or in “Salty Pig Log” thread.

Quick Reply: System Fault - Headlamp