Options 955 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 05:18 AM
993turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Options 955 Cayenne

Hi there,

Im a newbie to Cayenne, but not at all a newbie to Porsche, and Im looking into buying a 955 Turbo. 2003 - 2006.

Been doing some reading and Ive figured out that ''the later model - the better''....

I wonder what options are the most desireable to look out for on these models:

-Air Susp
-Tow hook
-Nav
-Bose

Anything esle? I take it most are fairly well equipped...

Old 09-21-2013, 07:57 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Air Susp, Nav and Bose is standard on a Turbo, They are very well equipped out of the box. Tow hitch should be available on lots of examples.

Light Comfort Package
Entry and Drive on 06's (prior years were iffy)
SatRadio
Old 09-21-2013, 09:28 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Pano roof
S with larger brakes
2007 model year
Old 09-21-2013, 11:25 AM
993turbo
Rennlist Member

The Tow Hook is a must for me as I haul my Toys.

Pano Roof is of no interest. The S models have a huge premium here, so out of the question. I think the size of the brakes on the Cayenne Turbo is the least of its issues. Sat radio is of no interest.

-What does the light comfort package do?
-Entry and drive, what was iffy on earlier models?

I see some Cayennes have longitudal roofbars running the ''lenght'' of the roof, and others have Transverse bar a'la Touareg.... What is the difference here?
I would prefer no roof bars.

:-)
Old 09-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 901 Posts

I think the Cayenne looks better without the roof bars. The 955 has roof tracks that let you use aftermarket racks when needed. I have the Thule Tracker II system for mine and it works very well for skis in the winter.

The light comfort package adds lighting to the interior in the footwells and behind the door pulls that can be adjusted to suit your taste. It's nice, but it's not a "must have" option in my opinion.

Personally, I like the wood packages offered in the Cayenne. They really dress up the interior. That being said, you have to give up the heated steering wheel if you get the wood & leather wheel.

As mudman mentioned, the turbos will have PASM with air suspension and nav. The PCM 2.0 or 2.1 (depending on year) is pretty outdated at this point, so I wouldn't rely on it. It's good for occasional use, but the nav feature on most smart phones is superior. I'm not sure if it's important to you, but you should know that iPod/iPhone connectivity is an issue with the earlier models. You'll need to buy an aftermarket adapter if you want to do this. If you want hands free telephone, you need to find a Cayenne that has the phone-prep option. Generally you can tell if a Cayenne has this option if you can see telephone buttons on the PCM unit.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:37 PM
993turbo
Rennlist Member

Cheers.

What about the parking sensors? Parktronic? Front and rear sensors is a must. Is this Standard?
Old 09-21-2013, 01:02 PM
touareg
Drifting

The comfort light package also adds the auto headlights and coming home light function. Which I do like. The auto dimming mirrors, could not care about that much.

I disagree on the brakes, they are MUCH better than the standard ones, and if you plan to tow.

As for factory tow hitch, you can always go after market but you sacrifice the higher tow capacity and tongue weight, as well as integration into the cars electrics.

People sometimes have trouble with the integration, but the factory one causes issues with LEDs anyways.

PCM 2.1 having the phone button does not mean it is installed, you can pop a sim in the tray in the front and check. Also if you just hit the button I think it tells you if it is installed or not.

Otherwise it is a $700 add on and some work to add.

The entry and drive has been known to have issues.

Not sure if it is standard for parking sensors on the Turbos, but you can easily see if the bumpers have the sensors. Same for backup camera on the rear hatch strip under the glass.

As far are really rare options, rear locking diff as an off road package option with disconnecting sway bars. Centre diff lock plus rear diff lock option code is I1Y1.

I know it was pretty rare on the touareg for the diff.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:05 PM
993turbo
Rennlist Member

Cheers,

I see some cars have buttons on the steering wheel and others not. What are the buttons for ? Telephone? sound system?
Old 09-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 901 Posts

That's correct about the phone buttons and the PCM. I pointed that out because if you don't have the buttons, then you can't add a hands-free kit. The buttons just tell you that the car is able to be set up with the kit.

Now that you mention the other things in the light comfort package, I think the auto-dimming mirrors are great. It includes the external side mirrors too, which is nice. I really like the parking sensors, particularly on the older Cayennes where there's no reverse camera. I'm not sure when the rear camera was added, but my 2004 doesn't have it.

I agree with touareg - I've heard of issues installing aftermarket hitches and wiring. I think your best bet if to find a Cayenne that already has the hitch.

The other buttons on the steering wheel are for the sound system.

I'm not sure if you're planning to transport passengers in the back seat, but if you are, then you might consider finding a car with front and rear heated seats.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:52 PM
993turbo
Rennlist Member

Yes, I want the factory removable hitch.

Ive downloaded a brochure from 2005 which explains most of the options :-)
Old 09-21-2013, 01:56 PM
touareg
Drifting

I see you are in Europe. I know there are more options for hitches than we have. Most of us will be refering to the receiver hitch. Not the retractable one.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:15 PM
993turbo
Rennlist Member

Yes, in Europe its a sexy, removable hook. Or perhaps a hitch as you call it :-)
Old 09-21-2013, 02:17 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is also folder leather vs standard seats. I think the leather is much nicer on the folded seats but others don't like the look so YMMV.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:43 PM
993turbo
Rennlist Member

Oki, will look at the different leather types, but it does not mean much to me to or from... :-)
Old 09-22-2013, 04:00 AM
993turbo
Rennlist Member

Ive come to the following options:

-NAV (std)
-Bose (std)
-Air Susp (std)
-Removable Tow Hook
-Buttons on Steering wheel
-Parktronic
-Light Comfort Package