Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Shopping" for used Cayenne, is enter & drive that rare?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:39 AM
BMillar
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default "Shopping" for used Cayenne, is enter & drive that rare?

I'm shopping pretty hard for a 2009-11 Cayenne with the keyless enter & drive option. The problem is that my online searches are not finding cars with this option. What's the deal?

Is this such a rare option that very few cars have it, or is this feature being listed under a different name/term or do I need to be searching for a particular feature package?

It seems that many adverts claim the car has "keyless entry," but from what I can tell, this also often just means that you can unlock the car with the remote. I am looking for the cars with the button on the door handle so that I can enter and start the car while leaving the key in my pocket.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes I would say it is on the rare side, quite honestly it's probably the best and most convenient option of all!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:19 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

It is not part of a package. So, when potential owners are deciding what else to add to keep an order within a budget, the enter and go may not be top priority. It wasn't with me.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:38 AM
BMillar
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin M.
Yes I would say it is on the rare side, quite honestly it's probably the best and most convenient option of all!
Yep. I've got it on my Benz and I don't really want to live without it on a Cayenne - which will be my daily driver. There are many Cayenne's for sale in my budget, but for some reason, entry & drive is very rarely in the feature list (but "keyless entry" shows up a lot) so I cannot tell if a particular listing has it or not.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:59 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At least you can see the button on the handle I suppose. Keep in mind 2009-2010 is 957 pig and 2011 is first year of current 958.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you realize that the PE&D option still requires a "key"? Check it out here. Specifically
With Porsche Entry & Drive, you can avoid the inconvenience of using a conventional key. To enter the car, simply touch the door handle and the system automatically checks the encrypted access code on the key in your pocket. If the code is accepted, the doors are unlocked and you can step inside. To start or stop the engine, simply turn the ignition. When you leave the car, all you have to do is press a button on the outside of the door handle. Porsche Entry & Drive then locks the car, arms the immobiliser and locks the steering column.

And adding insult to injury, the "key" is plastic.

//greg//
Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

True, but the convenience lies in the fact that you never have to take the key out of your pocket.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:23 AM
grohgreg
Pro

You don't get it. Yes, the keyfob remains on your person. But it's not like other vehicles where you've got a nice obvious START button to push. In the case of the Cayenne, here's an additional plastic "key" that you have to stick into the slot where the keyfob would ordinarily go. To me, that's comparatively archaic - and not worth the price they're asking for it.

//greg//
Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

You don't stick the plastic "key" into the slot. It remains there all the time. I agree, it's not as nice as a START button, but it's not completely useless either.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:54 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It should be as standard as seat belts.

Seriously, Porsche.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
You don't stick the plastic "key" into the slot. It remains there all the time. I agree, it's not as nice as a START button, but it's not completely useless either.
I guess you don't see the irony in this. Instead of taking the standard keyfob out of your pocket and inserting it into the ignition slot to start/stop the engine, you want to pay big bucks for a plastic key that does the same thing. In the spirit of Johnny's response, what a crap design. And judging by the fact you can't find any, sorta suggests all those previous owners thought so too.

//greg//
Old 09-09-2013, 11:15 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
I guess you don't see the irony in this. Instead of taking the standard keyfob out of your pocket and inserting it into the ignition slot to start/stop the engine, you want to pay big bucks for a plastic key that does the same thing. In the spirit of Johnny's response, what a crap design. And judging by the fact you can't find any, sorta suggests all those previous owners thought so too.

//greg//
It was on the Cayenne I bought off the lot so I've lived with it but.... The ignition design is ridiculous. I mean, seriously, you're turning a key in the key slot one way or the other but only one of the ways cost $1000 extra?

On the bright side, 90% of the time it does unlock the doors upon the SECOND pull on the door handle... 5% of the time on the first pull of the door handle and the remaining 5% it gives you the finger and makes you push the FOB.

After living with it for, what, 7 years? I would not pay a dime for it. Now, I'd take it for free though because I like walking up to my 6 figure car and pulling on the door handle like a slot machine, wondering what I'm gonna get.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

KESSY is a must have option.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:53 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Lot of valid points here.
- Expensive Stand Alone Option -- maybe worth $200
- Should be included in Premium Packages
- Poor Implementation -- no start button -- key hanging (could invite break-in, thinking key's in car)
- Door should unlock as you approach car

Who wants to pay $1K for a minor convenience feature that has poor implementation? I know, lots of you do. On my previously owned 2004CT, I had enough issues with the standard remote locking / unlocking system working -- sometimes had to put the key in the door lock -- open it that way / sometimes alarm would go off when I did that -- had to turn ignition key real fast after opening lock to avoid alarm.

Now, the thought of adding another variable into this system was not a priority in my recent purchase. Kept things fairly simple in my 2013CD, and everything works -- very pleased. I know better than asking for trouble.

Last edited by philg3; 09-09-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:57 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Originally Posted by grohgreg

//greg//
i think that your being overly picky here, a plastic key which remains in place at all times or a plastic start button makes little odds to me.

Quick Reply: "Shopping" for used Cayenne, is enter & drive that rare?