Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a 08 or 09 GTS what's wrong with these...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Upgrading to get 2009 car tech done by Germans is not compelling to me. Germans always deliver wonky implementation of car electronics. The 2009 navi is still way behind anything contemporary. The reason to upgrade is PDCC, the couple updates and if you prefer the new lipstick. Personally I like the look of 955's better than the 957's. I'm sure others will disagree.

I don't think CPO is important. My mechanic was the main tech at Niello Porshe for many years before opening his own shop. He wrenched countless cayennes. He has many current customers with them too some with over 200k miles. He says air suspension rarely fails and never catastrophically. Cylinder scoring is extremely rare. Do the updates (normal suspects) and these are really solid trucks.
Agree 100%. For me: the 955 turbo is the best looking. There is something wonderfully quirky/German about the front/headlights on the 955. The same appeal the old BMW with shark nose fronts had on the boxy sedans. I find the front bumper/grill not right on any of the 957's. Just my taste.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't get me wrong here guys. The GTS is an great choice for a Cayenne. Literally the only thing wrong with them at this point is that a 955 Turbo can be bought for substantially less money.

Remember that the GTS was placed in the market between the 957 S and the Turbo. Which, depending on options, puts it right around the equal, slightly nicer, or slightly worse than a 955 Turbo. So for half the money, the 955 Turbo just seems like a no brainer. Assuming of course that the whole reason a person is shopping used in the first place is because cost is a consideration.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Kbrew
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I am new to this forum -- actually never been in a vehicle forum :-)

I am looking at a 2008 Cayenne Turbo it is listed at $38,995 with 58k miles on it.
I currently own a BMW 3 series that has done me well. But I am looking to upgrade.

Are there any known issues for the Turbo at 60k, 80k, 100k miles that you guys know of?

I will get my mechanic to take a look at the vehicle before making my decision. I am just a bit concerned with the mileage. However your posts above have mentioned this vehicle is pretty reliable...

Look forward to feedback. Below you will find what it comes with.
Heated Seats
steering wheel control Units
Dual Climate Controls
Sunroof
NAVIGATION,
Back Up Sensors
Old 11-07-2013, 03:21 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Aside from ANY used car running the off chance of being a lemon. The 957 (08-10) cayennes have proven to be quite solid. I think with all the options and the price and miles that you have yourself a winner. I would not be concerned about the mileage ONE BIT. That is not high miles. If you are concerned then call some Porsche dealers and see how much they will charge to CPO it. There are people pushing 300k miles in their cayennes. AND there are MANY owners in the 150k+ range. You are not going to find another SUV that brings everything to the table like a cayenne.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:21 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Knowing what I know now I would look for an 09 or newer turbo. In fact, I am!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:16 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd rather go with 957 instead of 955 regardless of model. My experience has been that the 2nd gen is much more reliable. Even if the 955 upfront cost is less expensive, the down time and hassle cost money...besides the age-related service/repair expenses.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Knowing what I know now I would look for an 09 or newer turbo. In fact, I am!

Care to elaborate? Bluetooth isn't worth 2x the price, other than that I personally don't see the value in a vehicle 2x the price that does exactly the same thing, built on the same chassis, etc.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Cole
Drifting

Question

Originally Posted by mclaudio
I'd rather go with 957 instead of 955 regardless of model. My experience has been that the 2nd gen is much more reliable. Even if the 955 upfront cost is less expensive, the down time and hassle cost money...besides the age-related service/repair expenses.
Care to elaborate onto this too? Other than the coolant pipes they are. Basically exactly the same vehicle!!!

So basically the 955 has one $500 (permanent fix)issue the 957 doesn't. So explain how the reliability is really so different to justify the price delta?
Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Let's say the coolant pipes burst so new starter too and the cardan shaft goes and you have to do coils and spark plugs.. and hell lets just throw in a new Valve body. What are we out here $5k max. So you still save $10-15k on a 955.. So there is something to be said about that.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:29 PM
mdl04
Advanced

I don't think it's fair to say unreliable. The beta version had a bunch of little things break/disconnect etc that cost a lot to "figure out". I own one that seemingly had every issue reported and guess what?…..it's now fine and I own a beautiful and reliable car. The only thing thats not reliable is my piece of mind at times lol!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Cole
Drifting

Let's say the coolant pipes burst so new starter too and the cardan shaft goes and you have to do coils and spark plugs.. and hell lets just throw in a new Valve body. What are we out here $5k max. So you still save $10-15k on a 955.. So there is something to be said about that.
Wow! That was a load of crap!

First off, the starter doesn't "automatically" go when coolant pipes burst. A a matter of FACT, 99% of automotive starters are mounted at the lowest point of the car where they are constantly exposed to water and chemicals and last 100s of thousands of miles.

The plugs, coils, and drive shaft are all the same on the 957.....and any use d955 probably has the latest updated parts by now anyway!

Originally Posted by mdl04
I don't think it's fair to say unreliable. The beta version had a bunch of little things break/disconnect etc that cost a lot to "figure out". I own one that seemingly had every issue reported and guess what?…..it's now fine and I own a beautiful and reliable car. The only thing thats not reliable is my piece of mind at times lol!
X2

Most 955s now have the latest part numbers on them, many times even updated part numbers to what the 957s have.

90% of the issues happened by 60k and have "permanent" fixes that have already been done.

I'm not saying the 957 isn't superior to the 955, it is. It's an evolution of the 955. It should cost more. But like, $2500-5000 more , not $20k more!!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:43 PM
mdl04
Advanced

Heres a perfect example of how a specific older car can be a much better purchase. I have a 2004 turbo (for sale on rennlist) It's had somewhere around 10k in service updates, comes with 4 sets of tires and a wonderful aftermarket head unit inc iPhone connect. It's been kept in a heated garage since new and driven (for better or worse) by a female senior citizen for all of 28,000 miles. Ive worked for her all the while and when she was going to trade it, I stepped in front of the dealer and got it for a song. Not only has it had a recent service with brakes/fluids/cardan, but I've been sorting any bugs (hatch/ebrake struts) as I am pretty fanatical. So…..for HALF the price you get a turbo with fewer miles and 10 grand in updates as well as no falling knife value trap.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:21 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cole
Wow! That was a load of crap!

First off, the starter doesn't "automatically" go when coolant pipes burst. A a matter of FACT, 99% of automotive starters are mounted at the lowest point of the car where they are constantly exposed to water and chemicals and last 100s of thousands of miles.
Cole, I was backing you up dummy. My point was in a WORST case scenario you are still only out like 5 grand.. MAX. Further illustrating the value of the 955. Wtf? Did you even read my whole post?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Cole
Drifting

Cole, I was backing you up dummy. My point was in a WORST case scenario you are still only out like 5 grand.. MAX. Further illustrating the value of the 955. Wtf? Did you even read my whole post?
Sorry...... TOTALLY the margaritas fault! Thursday afternoon, 3 margaritas down! I'll admit, I may have "half read" your post between other alcohol driven debates! ;-)
Old 11-07-2013, 07:34 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Alright alright we cool then.. go back to margaritaville ya nutter.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 08 or 09 GTS what's wrong with these...