Sponsored by:

Ceramic Brake Durability

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:53 AM
modifier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Brake Durability

I'm getting ready to buy a 2014 Cayenne GTS. I drove a few models including a used one with the ceramic brakes. It stops much better, which isn't surprising since the front rotors are 16.4 inches compared to 14.1 and the rears are 1.5" bigger too. The unsprung weight savings it nice as well.

They are expensive but I might go for it, however the dealer told me that they have not been lasting very long and he said it's about $6k to replace. The general word I have heard is that they can last up to 100K mi if not tracked much.

This question would apply to any car with ceramic brakes, but since I am getting a Cayenne I posted here.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:37 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I hope you get some responses to your thread. In general, ceramic composition pads are longer lived than the OEM pads, but whether that transfers to ceramic rotors, IDK (therefore, my interest in your thread).

I suspect the improved stopping performance is due to the larger size rotors than the ceramic material. The ceramic material may help in the fade resistance category.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:51 AM
modifier
Instructor

I would say that the larger size is the majority of it but it was a big difference. But the larger iron rotors would weigh a ton plus form a quick search to upgrade the fronts to big metal would be about $4k, if I need different calipers too. I'm going to call Brembo today.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 989 Posts

I'm not sure about PCCB on Cayennes, but the GT3 guys who track their cars routinely swap out their ceramic brakes for traditional steel brakes. The ceramics don't last as long as you might think, and they are fragile. They can easily be chipped or broken when changing a wheel. Also, you're going to spend much more than $6K when you have to change pads and rotors.

Saving a little weight on a heavy SUV seems a little silly to me. I see no need for PCCB on a Cayenne.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:00 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 161 Posts

PCCB's have a cool factor and that's about it. I just ordered a new Turbo and I didn't get an S because I did not want the ceramic brakes. There is nothing wrong with the steel brakes on a Porsche.

The steel brakes on my F430 worked just as well as the ceramic ones on my 458.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:41 PM
modifier
Instructor

The $6k number came from the dealer yesterday for replacement rotors. Perhaps he was wrong.

It's not just about the weight but more about the size. They stop much better.

Is there a kit available to be able to have the same size metal rotors 16.4 front 14.6 rear and use the same calipers? Who? Where? I would go that route.

[By same calipers, I mean stock calipers that come on the GTS with iron rotors. Probably not idea as I understand it because the piston size should be downsized with larger rotors]

I've been researching on line and so far every thing I read is the ceramic rotors last a long time. I guess as long as they are not abused during service.

Last edited by modifier; 08-28-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'm not sure about PCCB on Cayennes, but the GT3 guys who track their cars routinely swap out their ceramic brakes for traditional steel brakes. The ceramics don't last as long as you might think, and they are fragile. They can easily be chipped or broken when changing a wheel. Also, you're going to spend much more than $6K when you have to change pads and rotors.

Saving a little weight on a heavy SUV seems a little silly to me. I see no need for PCCB on a Cayenne.
As mentioned above, the use of TWO wheel hanging studs is mandatory when changing wheels on a PCCB equipped vehicle. They do not tolerate any side loading.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:37 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Retail price is about $4,300 each for the front rotors and $3,600 each for the rears. I haven't heard of anyone having an issue with PCCBs on Cayennes, only on sports cars that get tracked (mostly GT3s).
Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 PM
modifier
Instructor

I got a price from the dealer today for $3500 each. I was surprised that they were the same. I'll ask again. He was going to ask the service department for details of any trouble. He said something about traction control causing problems generating excess heat.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 PM
modifier
Instructor

I think I have it figured out.

While I really like the idea of half the unsprung weight, the extra stopping power was more what I was after and I should be able to get close to that with bigger iron rotors. I finally found that Brembo does make a kit. 6 piston 16" front and 4 piston 15" rear. Retail is about $8500 for both ends. And replacement rotors are $565 and $501 plus new hardware. Plus they have aluminum hats which will reduce weight quite a bit if the stock are 1 piece. I don't remember if they are.

So for the long haul I think that is a better route to go and costs about the same right off.

Thanks for the feedback.

[I posted this conclusion over at the 997 Turbo forum too. I figured they might have more experience with ceramic brakes. I'd go to the GT2/GT3 forum if I was to do it again]
Old 08-29-2013, 01:54 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Originally Posted by modifier
I would say that the larger size is the majority of it but it was a big difference. But the larger iron rotors would weigh a ton plus form a quick search to upgrade the fronts to big metal would be about $4k, if I need different calipers too. I'm going to call Brembo today.
Depending on the weight of the OEM 19-inch wheels, switching to forged wheels could make up the weight gained by going to larger steel rotors. Another option to consider for weight reduction in the rotor department is to use 2-piece rotors - the 2-piece rotors are ~10% lighter than the 1-piece rotors.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:58 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Originally Posted by modifier
I think I have it figured out.

While I really like the idea of half the unsprung weight, the extra stopping power was more what I was after and I should be able to get close to that with bigger iron rotors. I finally found that Brembo does make a kit. 6 piston 16" front and 4 piston 15" rear. Retail is about $8500 for both ends. And replacement rotors are $565 and $501 plus new hardware. Plus they have aluminum hats which will reduce weight quite a bit if the stock are 1 piece. I don't remember if they are.

So for the long haul I think that is a better route to go and costs about the same right off.

Thanks for the feedback.

[I posted this conclusion over at the 997 Turbo forum too. I figured they might have more experience with ceramic brakes. I'd go to the GT2/GT3 forum if I was to do it again]
About 10% weight savings over 1-piece. I just noticed your updated post. Given the frailness and cost of the PCCB option, I would think the Brembo kits are your best choice.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:45 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to say this but it sounds like you have not driven a 5500lb powerful truck like this before. The standard OEM brakes work very well. To attempt to reduce weight that will make any difference to the performance of this truck would require replacing most of the running gear and the body until you end up with a 911.

Anything else your just tinkering.

You are talking a very small % of overall weight which will not return significant performance gains. Find a way to take 1000lb off and you might be talking gains
Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 AM
modifier
Instructor

Originally Posted by mudman2
I hate to say this but it sounds like you have not driven a 5500lb powerful truck like this before. The standard OEM brakes work very well. To attempt to reduce weight that will make any difference to the performance of this truck would require replacing most of the running gear and the body until you end up with a 911.

Anything else your just tinkering.

You are talking a very small % of overall weight which will not return significant performance gains. Find a way to take 1000lb off and you might be talking gains
Curb weight is listed at 4597. Not sure where you are getting your info. If you read my posts I state several times that I want the greater stopping power more than the savings of unsprung weight. Btw that's unsprung weight we are talking not static weight. Do some reading on that. I drove 2 2013 GTSs back to back, as I stated if you bothered to read, and the big brake vehicle stopped considerably better. This is the same results I have found in the past with bigger better brakes on other vehicles vs stock brakes. It's significant, not something you may or may not perceive. I own 11 Unimogs and 1 is an ex Paris Dakar race truck. I think I know a little about driving trucks. A Cayenne is not a truck.

Sorry to fire back but your condescending attitude was just a bit too much at this time in the morning. Moderator? Really?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So your going to race this then ?, maybe you do need bigger brakes, I can assure you that in normal operation there is no need, PAG put these options out and paint them a different color so fools will pay thru the nose to be different.

Seems to be a waste of energy and money, Cayenne is a truck sorry without question a good truck or I would not have owned 2 from 2003 on, but still a truck.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Brake Durability