Sponsored by:

homelink garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default homelink garage door opener

this one has the porsche garage baffled too. cant program homelink, although the garage door manufacturer website explicity states it works with homelink and that it operates on a fixed frequency code basis (not the changeable code system, which would require additional programming steps). i tried it, friend tried it, porsche tried it. any tips from those who overcame similar difficulties trying to program homelink in their cayenne? in a honda, programming the garage opener takes literally 10 seconds, you can stay in the car the whole time, and doesnt involve 7 steps (like porsche, when it even works at all). porsche dealer said they often have problems with programming homelink-it just isnt user friendly. yet another option i start to regret... thanks.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:46 AM
rc2080
Intermediate

Had absolutely no problem programming with homelink.. maybe its s hardware defect?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:56 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

We had no problem, but for our garage door, there is a "learn" button on the garage door assembly.

Open panel on garage door assembly (yes, the one attached to the motor which opens the door!)
Within 20 seconds push and hold the homelink button you want to have open this door.
When the garage door light flashes, the opener is set to work with the Cayenne homelink button.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-15-2013, 12:29 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RESP
We had no problem, but for our garage door, there is a "learn" button on the garage door assembly.

Open panel on garage door assembly (yes, the one attached to the motor which opens the door!)
Within 20 seconds push and hold the homelink button you want to have open this door.
When the garage door light flashes, the opener is set to work with the Cayenne homelink button.

Hope this helps!
Did essentially the above and worked for me. In addition, here's what I did:
1) Park the Cayenne in the garage, directly below the opener as range can be an issue when programming. Get a step ladder, to reach the opener unit's button.
2) Check documentation of garage door opener -- may give you hints, or steps unique to your unit.
3) If that doesn't work, erase setting, as described in the manual -- think you hold the #1 and #3 buttons at same time, and try again.

My openers are the roving code type; your fixed one should be easier to program.

Good luck.

Last edited by philg3; 08-15-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:32 PM
67bmer
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have tried several times and have not been able to get mine to work either!!!

I dont know why everthing has to be so complicated on Porsches. BMWs are so much easier to program. Especially the memory seats. Have not even tried that one yet....
Old 08-15-2013, 08:06 PM
rc2080
Intermediate

I spent days programming the X5 versus the 10min to figure out and program the Porsche..
Old 08-15-2013, 08:17 PM
abatis
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

homelink worked fine for me on a genie opener (learn button) and surprisingly easy to connect with a USAutomatic electric gate. I think the homelink as been much improved over the last time it was equipped in a car I had.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:26 PM
LS1RX7
Track Day

My cayenne is a 2004 and for some reason I had to fight it. Just sit in the car and keep trying, it should work eventually. I was literally in the car two hours about to die of carbon monoxide poisoning before I got both garage doors opening in my garage. Mine are the roving type so maybe that is why. My advice is just don't give up. I probably went throught the programming cycle 50 times before the first door started working. Then another 100 before the second one picked up. It sounds so simple in the instructions but it took me a lot of tries. The good news is ever since I have had no issue and the doors open every time. Good Luck.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 AM
mjr24
Advanced

I just did mine a couple days ago....I programmed all three buttons for my garage. The first worked just like the manual stated.....the second and third were harder to do.

Like someone said...you do have to press the learn button on the garage door motor itself. I tried without pressing that and the light blinked still (the light supposedly confirming it learned the code) but it didn't work.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:32 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 474 Posts

I had a heck of a time getting mine set up. I found a thread here that said that if you have a newer opener you have to do the synch several times to account for the rotating security codes the opener uses. So, I did the 'Learn/Homelink' sequence several times (six, I think) and now it works like a champ.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:18 PM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I had a heck of a time getting mine set up. I found a thread here that said that if you have a newer opener you have to do the synch several times to account for the rotating security codes the opener uses. So, I did the 'Learn/Homelink' sequence several times (six, I think) and now it works like a champ.
thanks everyone. still no luck, but i have only tried about 10 times. will keep trying.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:55 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

just a thought. I remember being told to wave the remote around the area of the system in the roof. good work out as I recall
Old 08-17-2013, 04:09 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph O'Reilly
thanks everyone. still no luck, but i have only tried about 10 times. will keep trying.
Just keep trying -- took me quite a few iterations before success. At my Tahoe home, I spent about 15-20 minutes with no success, and figured it was a two person job -- one pushing the learn button on the opener unit, and the other pushing the button on the vehicle console. Next time I was up there, gave it another try -- parked the Cayenne under the opener unit (prior try was in front of garage door) pushed the learn button, then the console button and opener lights flashed. I was shocked.

Since yours is fixed code, seems like you should be able to just push the console button, then go to the front of the vehicle, and push the opener clicker, until the front lights flash.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 AM
billyg
Advanced

The brand spanking new diesel in " virgin " white was positioned right in front of the bay for the garage door installer to program home link as the boss and I couldn't figure it out. Next thing you know, I come over as the guy is sitting in the drivers seat and I see he's bleeding on the arm!!!!!!! I start going crazy as the back rest has a patch of blood on it!!! Oh I lost it big time!!!!!!!!!!! I ran into the house and wetted a terry cloth towel in cold water and ran back out to attempt to stop the catastrophic damage! I told him to get away while I dabbed the area over and over again. Thank my lucky stars but the entire 1 1/2 inch diameter spot came completely clean! Ohhhhh man, I was ready to have a coronary! That night I drank heavily as the anguish still lingered. Disaster averted and doors are programed.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:20 PM
dale59911
Rennlist Member

Just a thought, did you deprogram the default codes that are put in by Porsche? On my new one, I had to deprogram first then reprogram and it worked fine. It would not do it by just trying to reprogram.

Quick Reply: homelink garage door opener