Sponsored by:

FORE! Kinda...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 02:12 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FORE! Kinda...

I don't have lemming status yet--no purchase--but I'm considering joining your club (pen?).

The subject under consideration is a $99K '13 GTS, red over black.

Having read through a few posts here, it's clear you guys and gals are a tight group. I'm guessing that having to hear and read all the "VW Cayenne," "can't be a Porsche," "the Cayenne is the devil" nonsense flying around out there has created a common empathy. It also appears as though you've taken it in stride, perhaps bolstered by the pleasure of owning a Cayenne and reveling in the ignorance of the naysayers.

First question: Is the humorous self-deprecation I see everywhere here:

a) a means for laughing in order to keep from crying, or
b) a sarcastic expression of joy at the ignorance of the naysayers?

In other words, is it:

a) unfortunately full of truths, and you're all in the same boat (P!g), so you might as well enjoy it for what it's worth, or
b) full of perceived truths that are actually untrue, and one can't possibly understand the extent to which ruling out the Cayenne is a huge mistake until one has had the pleasure of owning a Cayenne?

Assuming the answer to the question is (b), I'd appreciate your thoughts on the '13 GTS versus the contender, a loaded X5 50 with performance package at $77K.

As you may have noticed from my sig, I own an '07 TT, so I'm not looking for a sports car alternative in the face of family constraints. I simply like well-done, high-performance vehicles. I owned an '08 M3 before the Turbo, and I really enjoyed the 8,500 rpm redline coupled with a 6MT. So, I'm intrigued by the continued existence of a naturally-aspirated V8 in the Cayenne, which I tend to think has its days numbered. One thing that occurs to me though, is that the high-revving V8 in the Cayenne might not be as fun attached to a Tiptronic as it could be attached to a PDK or, even better, an MT. How does this V8 work with the Tip? Is it still fun overtaking the weak on a mountain? Will the Cayenne GTS strain vis-à-vis the 480 lbft of the X5, or do you just have to make sure you downshift? The X5 is quite a bit heavier after all.

I don't get butt tired when driving my TT over long distances. Can I expect the same/similar comfort from the GTS?

Are there any lingering significant issues I should be aware of going in?

I'm prepared to be LTC'd now.

Thanks,
Louis
Old 08-12-2013, 02:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hugs and Kisses,
Larry
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2013, 02:55 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have people Deevot here who have difficulty with getting through long text, so below is just a brief summary of the OP:

958 GTS vs X5 50.

And on looks alone I'd go for the GTS.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:06 PM
L_perm
Pro

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
We have people Deevot here who have difficulty with getting through long text, so below is just a brief summary of the OP:

958 GTS vs X5 50.

I'd put it a little differently:

958 GTS vs X5 50 w PP (+40hp, +50lbft) + $22K

And, as far as looks go, jury is still out IMO. I can tell an X5 from a distance behind. I can't tell a Cayenne from a Hyundai until I can read the script on the tailgate--no hyperbole, but I am a noob. Looks are not my primary concern.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:44 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless it was Lime Green
Old 08-12-2013, 03:53 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by L_perm
I'd put it a little differently:

958 GTS vs X5 50 w PP (+40hp, +50lbft) + $22K

And, as far as looks go, jury is still out IMO. I can tell an X5 from a distance behind. I can't tell a Cayenne from a Hyundai until I can read the script on the tailgate--no hyperbole, but I am a noob. Looks are not my primary concern.
Yes, agreed, the rear of 958 P!G has been discussed here numerous times but I'd rather have it look like a Hyundai (HTF is it pronounced, anyway? Hewn-die? Hun-day? I never know) than a minivan aka X5

Have you test-driven both already, btw?

mcbit, it's all relative and I'm afraid I would go for that vomit-green GTS over an X5, because I'm way superficial
Old 08-12-2013, 04:00 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

...and I'd also go for the vomit green GTS as its a better car, but fugly!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:09 PM
L_perm
Pro

Yes, agreed, the rear of 958 P!G has been discussed here numerous times but I'd rather have it look like a Hyundai (HTF is it pronounced, anyway? Hewn-die? Hun-day? I never know) than a minivan aka X5

Have you test-driven both already, btw?

mcbit, it's all relative and I'm afraid I would go for that vomit-green GTS over an X5, because I'm way superficial

I think it's Hi-un-die, like what I say when I open my unmentionables drawer.

I actually like the green. The problem is that I would probably be seen as a ***** trying to show off my "Porsh" instead of a guy who likes some color in his life. "Hey, that guy thinks his minivan is a Lambo." Personally, I wouldn't care so much, but I don't want to subject my family to ridicule--no more than they already get for hanging out with me.

I have test driven both and have some preference for the GTS, but I'm trying to do some due diligence to justify the $22K difference. I'm not superficial enough to drop that on looks alone I guess.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:23 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Louis,

I have about 100,000 km on our Cayenne in the first 2 years of ownership.
I do short and long and really long trips in her. After 12 hours, I still feel as happy driving her as when the journey started.
Our previous cars were a 7-series BMW and my fun car was an S2000.

It isn't going to replace your sports car feel (which you aren't looking for anyway) but it will be more enjoyable than everything else we drove. BMW, MERC, Audi, etc.

Is it worth $22K more? That's your decision.
I believe I am getting every penny of value in what I spent above the others.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm surprised someone Pops took time out from a busy day of toe hair shaving to comment.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Faak the bimmer.. You will have buyers regret. Get the cayenne and dont look back.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:41 PM
L_perm
Pro

Originally Posted by RESP
Well Louis,

I have about 100,000 km on our Cayenne in the first 2 years of ownership.
I do short and long and really long trips in her. After 12 hours, I still feel as happy driving her as when the journey started.
Our previous cars were a 7-series BMW and my fun car was an S2000.

It isn't going to replace your sports car feel (which you aren't looking for anyway) but it will be more enjoyable than everything else we drove. BMW, MERC, Audi, etc.

Is it worth $22K more? That's your decision.
I believe I am getting every penny of value in what I spent above the others.

Hi RESP,
Thanks for the first thoughtful/useful comments. Glad to hear you are enjoying yours to the fullest, and good to hear about the long-term comfort. There's only so much you can gather in a 10-minute test drive.

I'm in a conversation as we speak with my Porsche dealer getting some figures.

Honestly, you being an exception, the people on this forum just seem plain bitter. The vibe here is not good. Just in this short thread, I've been told to "STFU and GTFO noob" by a moderator. I've received no other input that required any thought. The posts all come across as written by people looking for each other's approval. I haven't experienced this kind of thing on the 997 Turbo and 993 forums. In fact, it reminds me a lot of why I never hung out much at the BMW forums. I was wondering how some manage to accumulate so many posts, but I guess it's easier when the messages consist of less than a fully-considered sentence. I won't be hanging out here if I do end up with a Cayenne, which I gather will be counted as some kind of perverse victory. Not sure the board sponsor would agree.

Louis
Old 08-13-2013, 12:44 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wasnt being bitter at all man.. just goofing. This forum rocks quit taking things so serious. No i honestly think you will regret the bimmer. The cayenne is just so well sorted.. you will love it. I actually love that green gts for some reason.. even though nobody else does.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:04 PM
L_perm
Pro

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I wasnt being bitter at all man.. just goofing. This forum rocks quit taking things so serious. No i honestly think you will regret the bimmer. The cayenne is just so well sorted.. you will love it. I actually love that green gts for some reason.. even though nobody else does.
Sorry endless, I'm not trying to offend. I'm sure that you were goofing, but when such a high percentage of the posts--and I'm not just referring to my post--are filled with goofing, the vibe comes off as a place where the uninitiated aren't welcome. $99K isn't an insignificant sum, and yet not many seem at all interested in anything other than goofing. I don't take "STFU and GTFO noob" as a personal insult, but I do interpret it as an unwillingness to say anything useful. I'm not opposed to goofing--not at all--but I am turned off by a crowd that does nothing but goof when someone takes the time to ask for help.

There was some seriousness in my first question, which was aimed at trying to understand all the goofing. It was immediately noticeable in the posts I read. I still don't understand why the proportions of goofing versus Porsche content are seemingly off here. Maybe I just read the wrong posts and stickys.

Thanks for your clarification. I wouldn't call the green "vomit green" at all. Never seen vomit that color. I'm pretty sure it's not called that when it shows up on a Gallardo or '69 GTO. To each his own.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:21 PM
madraddoc
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by L_perm
Hi RESP,
Thanks for the first thoughtful/useful comments. Glad to hear you are enjoying yours to the fullest, and good to hear about the long-term comfort. There's only so much you can gather in a 10-minute test drive.

I'm in a conversation as we speak with my Porsche dealer getting some figures.

Honestly, you being an exception, the people on this forum just seem plain bitter. The vibe here is not good. Just in this short thread, I've been told to "STFU and GTFO noob" by a moderator. I've received no other input that required any thought. The posts all come across as written by people looking for each other's approval. I haven't experienced this kind of thing on the 997 Turbo and 993 forums. In fact, it reminds me a lot of why I never hung out much at the BMW forums. I was wondering how some manage to accumulate so many posts, but I guess it's easier when the messages consist of less than a fully-considered sentence. I won't be hanging out here if I do end up with a Cayenne, which I gather will be counted as some kind of perverse victory. Not sure the board sponsor would agree.

Louis
I'm also new to this forum (1 month old 2013 GTS) and can see where you are coming from.
It seems like many of the veteran members would prefer to hijack topics with inane replies that are less than helpful. Overall, it dumbs down the general vibe of the Cayenne forum.

My 2 cents regarding your original question: I previously owned the 1st gen. X5 (2001 4.4 Sport) and find the Cayenne better in every way but particularly the quality of the ride over all surfaces. While this is obviously related to the PASM in the Cayenne, Porsche engineers did a brilliant job maintaining steering feel/handling which is something my previous 2010 MB E550 sport with air suspension lacked.
Overall, I'm extremely pleased with my GTS.

Quick Reply: FORE! Kinda...