Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 GTS 6-speed: anything to look out for on this purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 AM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkRobinson
Ok, got a PPI and purchased the vehicle on Monday. I gotta say...

I don't like it all. I REALLY wish I had driven one before I purchased it. Wife loves it, but I specifically dont like:

-cheap interior: NO leather. Ford-ish dash, Alcatera everywhere?? For $90k, why not suede everywhere or stitched leather? Porsche really F'd up on this.
-Gearing for the 6-speed: really Porsche?? Really? It has the gears of a Honda civic...always shifting to keep it out of the higher rev band, otherwise you're averaging a very low MPG. The one time I drove it I started using only 3 speeds: 2nd, 4th, and 6th, where 2nd is about right for a proper 1st gear and 6th is not even an over-drive.

I can't wait to sell this thing...wife loves it so it wont be an easy struggle. I refuse to drive it, just pisses me off that we didn't critique one more carefully before buying. Every time I look at the doors and dash I think I'm in a cheap Ford.

Yes, yes, I know I'm on a Cayenne forum so I'm sure to get some backlash...just NOT what I expected from Porsche and I've owned 24 of them.

My X5: better steering, more planted feel with the much wider tires front/rear, wonderful leather and leather smell, nice BMW attention to detail build. I'd much rather keep that.
wow...big bummer to hear you're not happy.
i've been a bit disappointed w/ cayenne interior as well(even when i test drove a 2006 turbo s), but i thought perhaps it was due to me coming from a mercedes S600 where EVERYTHING is leather. i also think post 2010 the cayennes been redesigned and they're now pretty nice inside. that said, it's closer to $100k+, so they should be nice.
good luck w/ your decision.
PL
Old 08-14-2013, 11:03 AM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I'm can't believe Porsche would release such a wimpy dash on such an expensive truck...standard X5 dashes are 3x better and much less expensive. For a GT3, I'd expect all the alcantera and some plastic, but people race these and lightness is important. But NOBODY races a Cayenne GTS: put some leather in there dammit.

Sorry but this is 2013: you can't have luxury in a luxury car or SUV w/o it.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:16 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a car once without test driving at least a sample version and I got the same outcome.

Reality failed to meet expectations.

On the bright side, your woman loves it and that's very positive to your harmony.

Valuable proverb, "If momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy."

'

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 08-14-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:41 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2004 cayenne has leather Everywhere. I seriously doubt the bimmer feels better you obviously are getting hung up on the gts interior and finding any reason you can to hate on it. Should have looked at cayennes with full leather package. There are a lot of different interior color and trim choices ppl make at build. My doors look nothing like a ford just beautiful dark stitched leather.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:37 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by endless_corners
My 2004 cayenne has leather Everywhere. I seriously doubt the bimmer feels better you obviously are getting hung up on the gts interior and finding any reason you can to hate on it. Should have looked at cayennes with full leather package. There are a lot of different interior color and trim choices ppl make at build. My doors look nothing like a ford just beautiful dark stitched leather.
Exactly: other Cayennes are loaded with leather...so why wasn't it available on the GTS? Makes no sense to me. Bimmer feels great...06 M-version with 315 rear tires, 275 front. Love it, but it's suffering from 100k mile-itis...wont' be keeping it.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:39 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You should have run a Search. I documented most of your observations on the GTS in these forums. The GTS is a phenomenal truck, but they "blew it" in a few areas. The gearing being the primary one and the interior not far behind. I'm still of the opinion that my '05 Suby OBXT had a nicer interior than my '09 GTS.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:40 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did do a search, it obviously fell short of what I needed to find.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:52 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

...standard X5 dashes are 3x better and much less expensive
I've got to disagree here. My X5 has a plain black plastic dash. I wouldn't say it's any better than a base Cayenne dash. I'm actually surprised that you found a GTS without a leather dash. Almost every one I've seen has extended leather.
I do agree with you about the Alcantara - I'm not a fan - but it's what's popular these days for whatever reason.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:56 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

it's much better: Cayenne's dash is shiny, hollow plastic. X5 has a sturdy, thick, looks more like leather & without the sheen.

All the GTS's out there (Autotrader for example) show the same plastic shiny dash, either in black or beige. I guess that's standard but I don't see that any have nicer optioned interiors.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

The leather dash does make a difference. Unfortunately it's also missing on mine. Then again, I chose PDCC and a stick as my priorities. Had I paid 90k new, I would have expected more, but spending closer to 1/3 of that, the interior was ok for me.

I could swear that I saw a GTS with full leather seats during my search. It really is amazing how some options completely change the feel of the truck.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:03 PM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly: other Cayennes are loaded with leather...so why wasn't it available on the GTS? Makes no sense to me. Bimmer feels great...06 M-version with 315 rear tires, 275 front. Love it, but it's suffering from 100k mile-itis...wont' be keeping it.
we used to own X5 4.4i and i wasn't impressed w/ the quality, esp vs. mercedes. also, although the engine was strong, it was difficult to accelerate smoothly in first gear from a stop, perhaps too much torque (or i just liked MB and being used to starting in 2nd gear for normal driving).
importantly, when i visit my friends at his european mechanic shop, he tells me that MBs(esp the E-class), and that BMWs has lots of things go wrong at 100k. also, the Audi's and VWs are all terrible past the warranty period.
PL
Old 08-14-2013, 04:09 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

we have the 4.8is, more powerful, sexy, lots of leather & leather smell. Yes, lots wrong at 100k too.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:47 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

This dont luuuk like no ford man.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:49 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agreed...though that's an optioned model OTHER than the GTS, probably a turbo. GTS's appear to have a rather bland interior w/o possibilities for factory upgrades when they were new.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:51 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Oh I see you were attached to getting the manual.. I have always heard they were notchy and have long throws. Really the automatic in these things are pretty decent. I have heard they get no worse and perhaps better mileage than the manual too.. Perhaps you should dump the gts and get a turbo with just the right interior.

Quick Reply: '09 GTS 6-speed: anything to look out for on this purchase?