33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Cayenne S or 2013 Diesel

Old 07-14-2013, 10:44 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 Cayenne S or 2013 Diesel

I am back looking to get a Cayenne . I got bitten by the Porsche bug in January and I almost placed an order for a 2013 CD but bailed out after the dealer didn't want to accept our offer at about 3% off $72,400 MSRP.

Anyway, I am looking for a used Cayenne now and thinking of getting a 2011 S instead of a Diesel. I am really lusting for a 911, drooling for one and trolling the forums the past couple of months, but it will have to wait couple of years until my newborn son can ride in the back with us.

So here is my dilemma, I am thinking that a Cayenne S with PSE would really put a grin on my face every time I start the engine while satisfying the family needs for the next couple of years and beyond. On the other hand, the CD would be the sensible choice with lower cost, depreciation and associated fuel economy. Hence the poll, what would you chose, looking to spend around $60K?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:33 AM
VERYGREEDY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Cayenne S is about 5 years old, but I love it. It will throw you back in your seat in Sport Mode. My 957 doesn't get nearly the gas mileage of the 958 (2011 or later) will get. I'd get the used "S" and enjoy.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:34 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is pse? Do you mean ptv or pdcc?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I did a nationwide search on autotrader for CS 958's and there are a lot to chose from. Starting at $50k.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:36 AM
sebis
Racer

PSE = Porsche Sport Exhaust, the poor's man GTS conversion . I should add that the Porsche bug infection started when the sales lady asked me to start the engine on a 2013 Cayenne GTS...
Old 07-15-2013, 08:42 AM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I did a nationwide search on autotrader for CS 958's and there are a lot to chose from. Starting at $50k.
Indeed, was looking at that last night, however, thre are just a few with air suspension and I think a couple with PTV Plus that also have parking sensors.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

If you're looking for something that's more on the sporty and fun side, then get the S. I think the diesel is a good engine and it's no slouch, but it won't pull as hard at lower speeds as the S. on the highway, you'll hardly be able to tell the difference.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
Indeed, was looking at that last night, however, thre are just a few with air suspension and I think a couple with PTV Plus that also have parking sensors.
If you are looking for PTV (or PDCC) and they are important to you, then the diesel is right out of the equation. They aren't available.

I'm a CD fan, but I'd be surprised if you can find one on the used market that has Air (or any/many other options) for $60k. They are still just too new for there to be enough turn over quite yet.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
If you're looking for something that's more on the sporty and fun side, then get the S. I think the diesel is a good engine and it's no slouch, but it won't pull as hard at lower speeds as the S. on the highway, you'll hardly be able to tell the difference.
Actually the diesel pulls harder, just not as long. Lots and lots of wonderful torque, but a comparatively short power band. Anywhere that you just need a short burst of speed, the CD will do better. It's where you want to continue accelerating that it starts to fall behind. AutoX is all low speed and I can assure you that the CD is great fun out on a course (I'd like to have been able to compare against the GTS, but he was just way too timid and didn't let it run).
Old 07-15-2013, 10:44 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

We have owned a 2011 Cayenne S for2.5 years we have driven it 35,000 miles of which over 10,000 have been towing either a 14 ft steel utility trailer or a 22 ft enclosed car trailer. My wife and I could not be happier with the Cayenne. We had a 2008 Cayenne GTS before and the 2011 S is so much better. Better mileage ( 18 in town, up to 25.5 on the highway and 12.5-13 when towing the enclosed car trailer). It is more nimble than the 2008 and the interior is quieter and as my wife has stated " it is really really fast"

That said we have a Cayenne Diesel on order that we should have by the end of the month. I ordered it for her after driving one for several days.

The diesel is every bit as quiet as the "S", no diesel engine sounds. Off the line you can feel the increased torque and it pulls very well up to highway speeds. When passing at highway speeds it does not have the acceleration of the "S" but it is very satisfactory and will quickly get you around other vehicles. Of note our highway speeds are higher than most here in Texas with legal speeds up to 85 mph on selected roads.

Now, for mileage with the Diesel; In the several hundred miles I put on the dealers loaner I got in the 20's in town in stop and go mostly around 25. I have read where owners are getting well over 16 pulling enclosed car trailers AND a member of our PCA region took hers, loaded down, to Parade this year (over 3400 miles round trip) and got over 37 mpg for the trip and she does not have a light foot on the throttle.

While on Parade there were 7 Cayennes in the Parade autocross and one was a diesel. They all did respectable overall.

By the way the diesel is an additional vehicle for my wife and we are keeping the "S"

Hope this helps your decision making
Old 07-15-2013, 11:19 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I just noticed the OP signature. What is wrong with your current stable. Seems like a 335d and diesel ML is a pretty workable lineup no?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:31 AM
sebis
Racer

I just noticed the OP signature. What is wrong with your current stable. Seems like a 335d and diesel ML is a pretty workable lineup no?
Indeed, the 335d is a sweet ride but not big enough for all the stuff involved with hauling a baby and our trips to the cabin, we are using it for our 100 miles round trip daily commute. The ML has been great but frankly I got bored with it and it has 97K miles. In addition, I got bitten by the bug ...
Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

That salesperson was such a B!tch for putting you in a '13 gts. Just mean.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 AM
sebis
Racer

That salesperson was such a B!tch for putting you in a '13 gts. Just mean.
Absolutely, and I told here we are looking for a Diesel (at least we were at that time)
Old 07-15-2013, 12:08 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Found one with air for $52k autotrader
Looks like CPO with upgraded seats and wheels too.

and another
Old 07-15-2013, 06:07 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
...the Porsche bug infection started when the sales lady asked me to start the engine on a 2013 Cayenne GTS...
Hah! I can really relate to that! Everytime I start our GTS, I hold the driver's door open (if the window isn't... just so I can hear it better. I love the sound.

I have found our '13 GTS to be great so far. It's not as outright fun to drive as either the 911 or Boxster, but it is closer than I had expected.

As far as your choice dilemma: I really do think that the current generation Cayennes are all excellent models and each has its specific advantages. An S with PSE would have a lot of character, and would be the choice I would lean towards.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne S or 2013 Diesel