Sponsored by:

New Brakes - Stop Tech Rotors and Hawk HPS Pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 AM
Max_O
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Brakes - Stop Tech Rotors and Hawk HPS Pads

Just ordered a set of 4 Stop Tech cryogenically treated slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads for my '06 Cayenne S for $716.71 shipped to my door at BuyBrakes.com...was able to use a $50 off coupon on the site, just use BIG50 at checkout. The brake dust was killing me on the stock pads and I just don't feel that they are biting enough. I am fearing that they are aftermarket pads and/or it's because they didn't replace the rotors when they did the pads it looks like. Either way I am doing the job myself this next weekend and will post pics.

Unfortunately I may also be doing a driveshaft as I am getting some intermittent strong vibrations from the floorpan on acceleration. All symptoms point to a center driveshaft bearing mount starting to go after reading the posts in the forums here. I am taking it in to Porsche tomorrow for a look and will follow up. I figure it's best to make it a weekend out of it and save me on the labor costs! Stay tuned!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:36 AM
Ricky1
5th Gear

Hi Max_O, I am a "new" 2005 CS owner for about 3 months now. My front pads are about to "go" and am really really interested in your Stop Tech and Hawk purchase. Good luck on your installation. Looking forward to the pics.

I have priced out about 5 different types of rotor and pad combinations from at least six different suppliers and am about to make a decision on the purchase... right now I would say Zimmerman plated rotors and Hawk Ceramic (Yellow) pads. But the "Power Stop" brake kit from CARDID.com looks really tempting... cross drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads.

Have fun!
Old 11-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Max_O
Track Day

Update - Rotors look great and are holding up nicely after 3-4k miles. The Hawk HPS pads are garbage though and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. They have actually almost caused me to get into accidents since they have a hard time stopping the Cayenne. They may be great on other vehicles, but in my experience with my set of pads, I just can't recommend them. They don't have a good initial bite, don't have good feel, and I have to mash the pedal to get anything out of them.

As for the driveshaft, I bought a reman unit from Vortex Auto in FL and I hate to say, but it isn't balanced well and causes a minor vibration. I even had it adjusted at the dealer and it's still there, so I have to assume it's the shaft itself.

So either way, I am definitely getting new pads to get rid of the Hawks....my family's safety is more important than a low dust pad.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:40 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

I highly recommend the EBC Yellow pads (stay away from the EBC Reds though). They've held up real well on my '06CTTS as well as two of my Audi's. I do some Drivers Ed events with one of my Audi's and they've held up real well.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Max_O
Update - Rotors look great and are holding up nicely after 3-4k miles. The Hawk HPS pads are garbage though and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. They have actually almost caused me to get into accidents since they have a hard time stopping the Cayenne. They may be great on other vehicles, but in my experience with my set of pads, I just can't recommend them. They don't have a good initial bite, don't have good feel, and I have to mash the pedal to get anything out of them.
Max,
My experience with Hawk HPS pads on my Touareg was exactly the same. Pretty sure that I've mentioned this in the past here. My wife was scared to drive the Treg because she always felt like she couldn't stop. Recently replaced them with stock Cayenne S/TT pads. Huge improvement and wife is happy she can stop. I'll live with the dust.

I'm happy with HPS pads on my 993 for the street.

Mike
Old 11-17-2013, 04:37 PM
TurboSman
Track Day

I just put a set of carbotechs on my ctts. Couldn't be happier with those pads
Old 11-19-2013, 10:38 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I put EBC yellows on my 11 cs and was hoping for less dust and equal or better stopping. They dust as bad or worse than stock and don't seem to stop as well.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Max_O

As for the driveshaft, I bought a reman unit from Vortex Auto in FL and I hate to say, but it isn't balanced well and causes a minor vibration. I even had it adjusted at the dealer and it's still there, so I have to assume it's the shaft itself.

So either way, I am definitely getting new pads to get rid of the Hawks....my family's safety is more important than a low dust pad.
Hawk Ceramic (yellow) is the real deal when low dust And aggressive stopping power is what you looking for.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Max_O
Track Day

UPDATE: Just arrived in Germany for my new job and I figured now is the time to get the new pads installed since I have to get the Cayenne inspected. Ordered a set of EBC Reds based off of a few friends who have had them...just saw some of you stating to stay away, but hopefully my experience is better...and initial feel is WAY better than the HPS pads. Wow, the difference....I had forgotten how the brakes were supposed to feel. So much better now. I haven't broken them in yet, so I will update again in a few weeks to let you know how they feel after a thousand miles or so.

Quick Reply: New Brakes - Stop Tech Rotors and Hawk HPS Pads