Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:12 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
Yes....but he still bought a lemon.....
No, he bought a mistreated and abused example owned by a drug dealer from the automotive equivalent of a puppy-mill. It will take some money to straighten it out.

I'm with Cole. I bought my CTT as a CPO with just under 50k miles and 56k later it has been a very good experience. And I paid less than 1/3 of MSRP. Cost of ownership vs the performance has been stellar.

That being said, I pick up my new 991 C4S on Saturday. Depreciation here I come. And I don't really care on this one....
Old 06-23-2013, 05:18 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason M
No, he bought a mistreated and abused example owned by a drug dealer from the automotive equivalent of a puppy-mill. It will take some money to straighten it out.

I'm with Cole. I bought my CTT as a CPO with just under 50k miles and 56k later it has been a very good experience. And I paid less than 1/3 of MSRP. Cost of ownership vs the performance has been stellar.

That being said, I pick up my new 991 C4S on Saturday. Depreciation here I come. And I don't really care on this one....
+1. It only takes a minute for an idiot to ruin a car. It may take a little longer for the car to show the results of that abuse. Take what you will from this statement about drug dealers as car enthusiast. I'm betting you wouldn't have bought the car if it had been disclosed that it was a drug lord's company vehicle. I would certainly be having a conversation with Carmax if they represented the vehicle as having a clear title. I'd also consider a conversation about a refund. Let them deal with the DEA. You'll have to walk away from your improvements costs, but you'll have your big investment back. Then you can consider buying a proper car. BTW - I'd also avoid prop cars from the Fast and Furious franchise (isn't that how we picture cars in the hands of drug runners being driven )
Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As a drug dealer, I can assure you that all of mine are maintained to the highest standards.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:48 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason M

+1. I'm with you and Cole.

If you buy a used car from a drug dealer, I don't care who the manufacturer is, you're going to have to spend some time and money to get it right. To say, the GTS or the Cayenne is a POS is missing the point. The previous owner was a %%^& resulting in a car with some issues

Do whatever, you want its a free country, but you could buy any brand under the same circumstances and it will have issues. Most of that list is normal wear and tear for goodness sake.

Porsche's tend to score high in reliability. Make that very high.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:28 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Not that I am defending drug dealers in any way... but thats just their revenue stream.. who the F knows.. there could very easily be drug dealers that are OCD **** retentive about their cars. That said I would not knowingly buy a car from a hood *** looking person. Now if we are talking columbian drug czar type they might have their own personal mechanic. YMMV!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:26 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Update-

I had the plugs replaced which should have been done at 40K miles. They were completely black and corroded because the malfunctioning (stuck open) thermostadt was not allowing the engine to reach normal operating temperatures (affected fuel/air). I highly recommend you follow the plug replacement schedule.

I had the thermostadt replaced.

I also had the radiator, transfer case, and differential fluids replaced (normal maint.)

I had all four tires rebalanced, my two front wheels are bent slightly but still usable. It seems they were all out of alignment.

My headlight covers are becoming more opaque and clouded inside. PUSA wanted more pictures (bring me another rock) but I "think" they are going to replace my headlights, at least I hope so.

So - after all this maitenance (warranty and routine) which adds up to approximately $6K to-date, my C-GTS is running a lot better and has not caused a problem now for two weeks. Lets hope it stays that way and perhaps I can begin to enjoy owning and driving my "pig."
Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

What happened with the DEA? I wouldn't spend a dime on the car until that is resolved.

Glad to hear its doing better though.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pardon me for asking, but what exactly does DE3 #261 mean in your signature?
"2010 Cayenne GTS DE3 #261"
Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 842 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
My bet is that it refers to the "Design Edition" version of the GTS:

Porsche Cayenne Design Edition
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2013, 02:06 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
Design Edition 3. Porsche manufactured a numbered limited edition 2010 GTS of which 1,000 were produced for the world with less than 100 destined for the USA. They also placed a hefty $15K premium on the MSRP. Long and short, it's still a nicely equipped 2010 GTS without any performance improvements.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:08 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gnat
What happened with the DEA? I wouldn't spend a dime on the car until that is resolved.

Glad to hear its doing better though.
Haven't heard anything further from the IRS/DEA. I don't think they'll take the car becuase I purchased it lawfully. Let's hope anyway. Thanks for asking.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:59 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Haven't heard anything further from the IRS/DEA. I don't think they'll take the car becuase I purchased it lawfully.
Don't take their silence as meaning anything. Get your lawyer to follow up on it. Just because you purchased it lawfully and it changed hands a few times between (e.g. not a direct sale between the parties) doesn't mean they can't/won't take it. I have an ex-boss that lost one of his cars in a similar situation.

Seriously, if you're already pissed at the money you've spent on this thing just think how pissed you are going to be if they do end up taking it. I wouldn't spend another penny on it until you have a signed letter from them stating they are not going to pursue recovering the vehicle.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:39 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

God what a friggin mess. I'm really sorry about your woes on this one.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:15 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

Again I'm no expert here , but if the DEA concludes the car is the product of contraband sales it probably labels it as contraband. If that happens there is no insulation for subsequent buyers. It's like buying grass in Colorado and taking it to DC. The fact that you bought from a "licensed dealer" in Colorado won't prevent them from taking it - no refunds. They are the FED. They will tell you to take it up with Carmax - as they load your vehicle on a flatbed. The IRS, DEA, and EPA have some hefty enforcement authority and pretty long SOL. THere is also the risk that your title could get clouded which will kill your end value. Bright side - as I recall the IRS has a few big fish in the pan right now. If you make a good argument and present a strong case they could decide you're not worth screwing over and give the whole thing a pass, but I'd get a letter and keep it with the title - just in case the right and left (DEA/IRS) hands don't know what each is doing. Good luck either way.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I would agree with most here. I love my '06CTTS. Some of your problems are normal Mx and some normal Cayenne problems. Then again some are previous owner caused problems.
I bought my CTTS with the same mileage as you and it's been great. Previous owner did the Coolant pipes, I've done the plugs, all fluids flushed (Diffs, tranny, Xfer box, brakes, etc...), done a Brake job, Secondary Cats, IPD plenum, Eurocharged tune. It just screams.

Quick Reply: My 2010 PIG is a POS