Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water on the driver floormat after rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:03 AM
virkdoc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok opened the wheel well and the drain was choked with sludge and mud...cleaned it out. Next I poured water along the sun roof pipes....and sure enough the driver side(In my case Right hand side) the water was not coming out of the drain in the wheel well....Pulled out the carpet and found the pipe....near the firewall it turns and exits out and then drains in the footwell drain.pulled it out and no water was coming out of it....cleaned it with air and sure enough sludge came out...flushed it completely and put everything back....now waiting for another spell of rain.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:04 AM
virkdoc
Racer

Oh I found the pip by opening the a pillar trim and just following it down...u really have to twist overto find it.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:23 PM
virkdoc
Racer

Name:  image-2654807500.jpg
Views: 7153
Size:  90.2 KB
Old 06-11-2013, 02:34 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by virkdoc
Cool, so no airbags on your car I am guessing in the A pillar?

so the pipe goes through the firewall, did you mean it goes into the cowl area under the windscreen, not the foot well?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:48 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Compressed air.
I'd not use compressed air as you will (very likely) end up blowing the rubber hose from the connections. Better bet is to take some week wacker thread and run it from top to bottom to clear them. Pouring a bit of water as you do so to loosen up the debris.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

On some P!G forum or another - I posted a comprehensive photo show of how the passenger's side leak starts, the path it takes and how to fix it. I imagine the drivers side is the same.

What is likely plugged up is the drain up where the sunroof seats. It is in the lowest corner of the plastic under the sunroof - up under the roof of the vehicle. It is near to impossible to see, but you can clean it out with an airgun. If you pull off the A pillar trim (as is shown in the photo above) you may find a trail of drips that flows right down the inside of the trim, down past the fusebox, and down behind the kickpanel to under the carpeting - where it soaks the 2" of foam rubber that is under the carpet.

To access the plugged drain, you must first remove the A pillar trim, then remove the sunvisor mounting, and pull down the headliner in that corner of the "ceiling". If you then shine a light up into the area revealed you'll see a rubber tube going to a nipple on the back side of the plastic that is under the sunroof. That's the drain. With the sunroof open, and towels covering everything in the area - you can remove the hose from the nipple, and use compressed air to blow the drain clear.

Chances are - that will fix the problem. Pollen and leaves like to get into that drain and plug it up. Once it's plugged up the water overflows the edge of the plastic tray like thing, and then follows the path I described above down to the floor area. It's actually fairly unlikely that the bottom of the hose is plugged up, but I guess it can't hurt to check.

The test I used was - after hooking the hose back up - I poured a pitcher of water into the plastic tray thingie - and it drained out on the ground with none spilling over into the interior of the car. No leaks since, but it's probably time to clean the drains out again, we had a LOT of pollen in NJ this year.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Found it.. http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...l=deilenberger

Start reading around post #18...
Old 06-11-2013, 11:37 PM
virkdoc
Racer

I have a pillar airbag it's behind the pipe....could see it, white in color....my friend got in the car and stood up into the sunroof....he then put in a small pipe connected to a water supply..he didn't pull the roofliner down....the pipe went into the hole and filled with water...but nothing came out from below.....so the lower end he cleaned with a air gun and a zip tie!!

So this pipe turns and goes into the box where the ECU is and then from there drains into to footwell drain
Old 06-12-2013, 12:56 AM
deilenberger
Banned

So this pipe turns and goes into the box where the ECU is and then from there drains into to footwell drain
Please define where the "footwell drain" is. There is none as far as I know.. the footwells are sealed up water-tight which is why when water gets into them the carpet and foam get soaked.

Inquiring minds want to know..

BTW - if you open the link I posted and look at the photos you can clearly see the routing of the sunroof drain down the A-pillar and the location of the A-pillar airbags (which are toward the interior side of the A-pillar.)

Perhaps this link might work - the A-pillar. The airbag is the white tubular thing, the drain is the rubber house highlighted with the green line:
Name:  drainrouting2.jpg
Views: 4986
Size:  506.1 KB

Drain location under the headliner:
Name:  drainhose1.jpg
Views: 5616
Size:  422.4 KB

Drain location up top:
Name:  drainhole1.jpg
Views: 5370
Size:  409.3 KB
The following users liked this post:
Johnnywood (05-15-2020)
Old 06-12-2013, 08:40 AM
virkdoc
Racer

Ok so what my friend did was got out through the sun roof and put in a small pipe connected to a water source (a bucket) and flush it with water...after sometime the water overflowed and so he stopped...I was at the lower end and had followed the pipe between the brake and accelerator....in the firewall it makes a 90 degree
And has a nipple and a sharp tip....I pulled it out and milked it but only thick muddy sludge would come out...and there was no free flow...so we inserted a zip tie and opened up the tip and also put pressure from the top with a air compressor...and suddenly water just poured out...I reconnected the drain to the firewall and put water again and water came out of the footwell and was clear water....
To clarify in the footwell u need to jack the car up, remove the tire and open the wheel well lining(tons of screws) and water was coming outta the footwell drain
Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 AM
virkdoc
Racer

Oh shucks I keep on typing footwell it's WHEEL WELL
Old 06-12-2013, 10:32 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Good thread, I don't have leaks yet, but will make sure to check my drains are clear this summer.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:52 PM
virkdoc
Racer

Another interesting thing I noticed is my driver side leaks which is right side and your passenger side leaks which is again right side...so basically only the right side gets blocked???
Kinda weird
Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Oh shucks I keep on typing footwell it's WHEEL WELL
Ah! That makes things much clearer..
Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Another interesting thing I noticed is my driver side leaks which is right side and your passenger side leaks which is again right side...so basically only the right side gets blocked???
Kinda weird
Dunno, but I've only heard about the starboard side getting soaked. Can't recall ever hearing about the port side getting wet.

Quick Reply: Water on the driver floormat after rain