Sponsored by:

Cayenne Coolant Leak at rear of engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 04:28 PM
CharlieP
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Coolant Leak at rear of engine

Hi all- I had a water leak, the mechanics could see it was from rear of engine so got the intake off, and LPG installer had bodged a T piece pipe, that got fixed but was still not dry, with two mirrors they could see water weeping from an aluminium block section, that appears to connect each bank of the engine

The leak seemed to be from a webbing section of the aluminium casting

Has anyone had this before? If it really is coming from the aluminium casting this is pretty bad, and could well be a fault in casting, possibly in many cars!?

I have a 2005 V8S with 84,000 miles
Old 06-01-2013, 04:29 PM
CharlieP
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way, the chocolate coolant pipes were changed about 250 miles before this
Old 07-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Charles@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure if this is related, but i have a 08 Cayenne S that showed up and has a Pressed in (glued in) coolant pipe into that rear housing that blew out. Same deal as the 996/7 GT3/Turbo's.

Maybe you have a similar issue? I have never seen this before on a Cayenne
Old 07-01-2013, 03:06 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"...and LPG installer had bodged a T piece pipe...."

I entered the above into - translate.google.com - but the translate software didn't recognize it either.

What is the translation of "...and LPG installer had bodged a T piece pipe..." into American-style english?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Charles@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CharlieP
with two mirrors they could see water weeping from an aluminium block section, that appears to connect each bank of the engine

The leak seemed to be from a webbing section of the aluminium casting
Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
"...and LPG installer had bodged a T piece pipe...."

I entered the above into - translate.google.com - but the translate software didn't recognize it either.

What is the translation of "...and LPG installer had bodged a T piece pipe..." into American-style english?
The above part i quoted was what i was curious about. Just wondering if thats sort of what or where he is talking about. I searched for about 30 min and could not find anyone else with a coolant pipe that blew out on a cayenne.. trying to see if this is going to happen with these like the mezger engines.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:04 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

My dealer chased a coolant smell on my '06 CS-Ti for 2 years. I had done the coolant pipes before driving it across the country and back, so I knew it wasn't them. They finally - a week before the CPO ran out - tracked it down the the coolant crossover manifold at the back of the engine that connects the two cylinder head coolant circuit (and accepts the big pipe from the thermostat housing.) It had a leak around a blind plugs in it. They tried tightening the plug - it started leaking worse.

They managed to replace it without engine removal (quite the trick I suspect), and the leak and smell finally went away.

So - yes - there is a chance the part they told you is leaking really IS leaking. It appears to be a sand-cast manifold, so while a leak might happen, it probably doesn't happen with any great frequency. Hope you're under warranty.. the part isn't all that expensive (under $300) but the labor is going to be costly. If your coolant pipes under the manifold haven't been done yet - this would be a good time to also do those.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Coolant Leak at rear of engine