Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heated steering wheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013 | 05:24 PM
fincher
Racer

Love the cat fighting. Spats like this can destroy a good forum and I'm not even a Porsche owner yet. See similar stuff on my VW forums.
Old 05-16-2013 | 06:10 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Originally Posted by fincher
See similar stuff on my VW forums.
Ouch.
Old 05-16-2013 | 06:23 PM
fincher
Racer

LOL... Yes, even us common folk who drive VW Touaregs...you know 'the brother from another mother' to the Cayenne.
Old 05-16-2013 | 07:01 PM
Cole
Drifting

OP in post #4

Originally Posted by Edward 96 Viper GTS
monterey, 2006 CS, rarely gets below 40 degrees.
thanks
Originally Posted by gnat
Maybe not, but it has bearing to any 958 owner that may have the same question (and I have seen it asked before) that stumbles on this thread.

Since the OP didn't include which model he has in his original post, you're initial post could have been just as "pointless" if it was a 958 he was talking.

Your post was post #7 Which seemed more like a "hey look at me I have a 2013" type of post since you missed that the OP has a 955!
Old 05-16-2013 | 08:35 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Being sarcastic in text is a razor's edge. Its so easy to breed misunderstanding and contempt when something is NO BIG DEAL. I chuckled at your comment but i guess being snickety does not a merry forum make for the receiving end.
Old 05-16-2013 | 08:36 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Love the cat fighting. Spats like this can destroy a good forum and I'm not even a Porsche owner yet. See similar stuff on my VW forums.
Some say the Cayenne is just a VW in disguise and Porsche is a VAG brand so I guess it's fitting

Originally Posted by Cole
Your post was post #7 Which seemed more like a "hey look at me I have a 2013" type of post since you missed that the OP has a 955!
My post? Can you not read the difference in the names? Sadly my language skills aren't as good as they should be, but I'm pretty sure "LaicepsYdobon" is not the same as "gnat". Maybe that's just me though

As I said in the post that is actually attributed to me, the original post is ambiguous since he did not specify the type at that time so someone seeing just the title or the OP has no way to know that he was looking for the 955/957 information. By the other person posting the 958 info it makes the thread relevant to a 958 owner that searches for how to use their steering wheel heater. He also clearly stated his information was for a 958 (2013) specifically (while you just quipped about it needing to be cold before the specific model information was known without clarifying which model you were talking about) so it's not like there should be any confusion to someone with a pre-2011 model.

Go search this forum for "heated steering wheel" and then please explain how this thread would magically not show up for someone that is looking for information about a 958's heated steering wheel. Because the 958's information was posted here (even though it isn't relevant to 955s and 957s) such a person would not have to keep looking if that is the information they were after.

Typically people complain when someone doesn't search the forum before asking a question and yet here you are advocating that less information is posted in a thread with a generic title and original post.
Old 05-16-2013 | 09:00 PM
Cole
Drifting

Talking

Sorry, my bad for mixing up the posters.

This forum should probably be divided into 955/957 & 958 so that relevant information is being posted for each vehicle. That way people don't have to dig through threads in the future trying to figure out what model of car we are talking about.

Originally Posted by gnat
Some say the Cayenne is just a VW in disguise and Porsche is a VAG brand so I guess it's fitting

My post? Can you not read the difference in the names? Sadly my language skills aren't as good as they should be, but I'm pretty sure "LaicepsYdobon" is not the same as "gnat". Maybe that's just me though

As I said in the post that is actually attributed to me, the original post is ambiguous since he did not specify the type at that time so someone seeing just the title or the OP has no way to know that he was looking for the 955/957 information. By the other person posting the 958 info it makes the thread relevant to a 958 owner that searches for how to use their steering wheel heater. He also clearly stated his information was for a 958 (2013) specifically (while you just quipped about it needing to be cold before the specific model information was known without clarifying which model you were talking about) so it's not like there should be any confusion to someone with a pre-2011 model.

Go search this forum for "heated steering wheel" and then please explain how this thread would magically not show up for someone that is looking for information about a 958's heated steering wheel. Because the 958's information was posted here (even though it isn't relevant to 955s and 957s) such a person would not have to keep looking if that is the information they were after.

Typically people complain when someone doesn't search the forum before asking a question and yet here you are advocating that less information is posted in a thread with a generic title and original post.
Old 05-16-2013 | 09:01 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

They changed heated steering wheel operation with MY 07.

And who needs a heated steering wheel in CA? It's freakin' 105 today and I need a heated steering wheel like I need heated BVDs.
Old 05-16-2013 | 09:07 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Can't we start a separate forum for the Turbos, too? I hate those splinters!

A lot.

NSFW - language
Old 05-16-2013 | 09:25 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cole
This forum should probably be divided into 955/957 & 958
Well at least there is something we can agree about and even for the reasons you stated
Old 05-16-2013 | 09:30 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Pffft. Come over to the 996 forum and ask what brand of oil. Or better yet, pay for a membership and visit OT.
Old 05-16-2013 | 09:42 PM
rc2080
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Divot
They changed heated steering wheel operation with MY 07.

And who needs a heated steering wheel in CA? It's freakin' 105 today and I need a heated steering wheel like I need heated BVDs.
If anything, I would prefer a cooled steering wheel over a heated one.. at least if it's cold, you can put on a pair of gloves or something..
Old 05-16-2013 | 10:05 PM
fincher
Racer

Yeah, there's oil spats on Club Touareg all the time. We've had diesels a long time. Would not even consider the Cayenne until it came here as a diesel. Why I'm here...
Old 05-16-2013 | 10:10 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by rc2080
If anything, I would prefer a cooled steering wheel over a heated one.. at least if it's cold, you can put on a pair of gloves or something..
Fwiw,

Been ice racing and teaching winter driving skills for about 20 years now. We teach students to take off their gloves. In icy conditions you want to be able to feel all the feedback from the steering wheel. The best way to do this is to have fingertip contact with the steering wheel.

It's all about getting the appropriate information to the brain. If you do things to hinder this information flow it will hinder your ultimate level of performance.

I'm sure this is part of the reason the original heated steering wheels were designed they way they were. Simply to allow the driver to operate without gloves for maximum performance in the cold, not as a luxury feature. Which would explain why it only heats to "room temperature" at 72* and not something warmer that you would feel and perceive as a luxury item.

......happy to explain more if someone is interested but will stop here.
Old 05-17-2013 | 04:05 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Carbon wheel = no heating on 955

Quick Reply: heated steering wheel ?