Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people think our P!GS can't tow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:53 PM
VIPNiSS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why do people think our P!GS can't tow?

Is it the ignorance? So many people try to give me **** for towing a 23ft boat double axle with surge brakes.. weighs in with trailer and gear at about 5000lbs.

I always hear "Can the car pull that?" "Are you sure its rated to tow it?" "I know you have the horsepower but what about brakes?"

Drives me insane.

I just bought a 2008 Tundra and i feel that the pig and out tow the tundra! It almost feels like I am not towing.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:04 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
Is it the ignorance? So many people try to give me **** for towing a 23ft boat double axle with surge brakes.. weighs in with trailer and gear at about 5000lbs.

I always hear "Can the car pull that?" "Are you sure its rated to tow it?" "I know you have the horsepower but what about brakes?"

Drives me insane.

I just bought a 2008 Tundra and i feel that the pig and out tow the tundra! It almost feels like I am not towing.

It's a combination of old school thinking and ignorance.

My CTT is a MUCH better tow rig than my Dodge 2500 up to the 7716 tow rating.

Old school thinking is that a tow rig must be longer and wider (long bed dullie)

The Cayenne tows so much better for a variety of reasons.

It's a vehicle designed to be insanely stable and handle like a sports car. That stability helps control a trailers load. Think about how well a pickup truck handles around corners, lane changes, etc

The center of gravity in a Cayenne is insanely low by comparison. The engine and transmission are set very low in the chassis and rearward of the front axle. A large portion of this weight is at or below the trailer hitch. Which lends to stability when towing. Compared to a large pick up where the engine sits high and over the front axle. Often times higher than the hitch point.

The reason semi trucks and some pickups use a 5th wheel attachment is to get the trailer hitch close to (over) the rear axle as possible. The further away the trailer hitch is from the axle the harder to control the load. Look at the hitch on a Cayenne, it is very close to the rear axle compared to any pick up truck.

Wheelbase? Just think about stability. The Cayenne is designed to be stable and have massive grip on the road surface. Wheelbase is a myth by pickup owners. Look at the wheelbase of a semi truck compared to its trailer! Stability and grip are the reality, not just length.

Obviously the Cayenne gets massive brakes. It was designed to stop in the same distance as a 911 of the same year. My Cayenne out brakes my pickup all day long! With or without a trailer. Mine both have the same trailer brake controller in them. It's obvious that the Dodge has to work harder stopping the same load.

People just have this idea of what an SUV is, and its not the well thought out design that the Cayenne is. They compare a SUV from the same manufacture as their pickup truck. SUVs built to a budget and with compromises. SUVs built with the "it's and SUV its not supposed to ____________{insert performance spec here}" attitude. SUVs that get the cheapest brakes, the soggiest suspension, the handling of a boat. Of course those don't tow well. Then they go tow with a long pickup and think its the best thing on earth, only because its better than the poorly designed SUV.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:53 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Insightful commentary Cole, never though about it that deeply.

All I know is even my V6 cayenne tows my 2500lbs boat like it is hardly there. Aside from the hitch clunking sometimes, and going a little further past a stop sign than you subcontiously anticipated if you start daydreaming!
Old 05-10-2013, 03:31 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
It's a combination of old school thinking and ignorance.

My CTT is a MUCH better tow rig than my Dodge 2500 up to the 7716 tow rating.

Old school thinking is that a tow rig must be longer and wider (long bed dullie)

The Cayenne tows so much better for a variety of reasons.

It's a vehicle designed to be insanely stable and handle like a sports car. That stability helps control a trailers load. Think about how well a pickup truck handles around corners, lane changes, etc

The center of gravity in a Cayenne is insanely low by comparison. The engine and transmission are set very low in the chassis and rearward of the front axle. A large portion of this weight is at or below the trailer hitch. Which lends to stability when towing. Compared to a large pick up where the engine sits high and over the front axle. Often times higher than the hitch point.

The reason semi trucks and some pickups use a 5th wheel attachment is to get the trailer hitch close to (over) the rear axle as possible. The further away the trailer hitch is from the axle the harder to control the load. Look at the hitch on a Cayenne, it is very close to the rear axle compared to any pick up truck.

Wheelbase? Just think about stability. The Cayenne is designed to be stable and have massive grip on the road surface. Wheelbase is a myth by pickup owners. Look at the wheelbase of a semi truck compared to its trailer! Stability and grip are the reality, not just length.

Obviously the Cayenne gets massive brakes. It was designed to stop in the same distance as a 911 of the same year. My Cayenne out brakes my pickup all day long! With or without a trailer. Mine both have the same trailer brake controller in them. It's obvious that the Dodge has to work harder stopping the same load.

People just have this idea of what an SUV is, and its not the well thought out design that the Cayenne is. They compare a SUV from the same manufacture as their pickup truck. SUVs built to a budget and with compromises. SUVs built with the "it's and SUV its not supposed to ____________{insert performance spec here}" attitude. SUVs that get the cheapest brakes, the soggiest suspension, the handling of a boat. Of course those don't tow well. Then they go tow with a long pickup and think its the best thing on earth, only because its better than the poorly designed SUV.
Nice comments and so true. I tow my car trailer loaded about 6k lbs and have yet to have the trailer wag the Cayenne GTS. Power is a not an issue
Old 05-12-2013, 01:17 AM
Winterreise
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my 1960 BellBoy cruiser, 3000 lbs, towed VERY easily by my 2005 base pig
Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I tow a 22 foot boat with my CTT. Tandem axel trailer with 4-wheel disc surge brakes. about 6000lbs loaded with gear. It tows great! I've probably put 5,000 miles on it over the years.

I will say that the trailer has great brakes. When I've towed the same boat with a friends pickup, the truck stopped better with the trailer. As for the CTT, it always stops great.

The only concerns I've ever had was the coolant pipes and T's. I replaced those preemptively. No worries now. Beyond that I'm on water pump #3. The first one lasted 83K miles and began to make a lot of noise (sounded like a marble rolling around the bottom of a coffee can). The replacement pump made by Laso (a german OE supplier) lasted 12 months and 10K miles (and it too began making noise). I just replaced that one with a Porsche pump. The job was much easier the second time around...
Old 05-15-2013, 11:08 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have been towing my enclosed with a car in it for the last 9 years, used an 04 CTT and then 09 CTT S, We travel as a group to events, there are many with Ford F250, 150, Chevy Av, and many other makes. I seem to lose everyone in the mountains.....The car feels stable and at times you forget there is a tralier behind you. I have ceramics so I can outbreak any car including sedans on the hwy.
IMO there is no better vehicle for towing
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good thing Larry can't read this thread, as it is I suspect he's turning over in his grave.

Quick Reply: Why do people think our P!GS can't tow?