Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Driver Help- Cayenne V6 vs GS350 vs ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^

And just to be a contrarian, check out the 5-series, if you are going the GS350 route

Bought my 5er brand new in 2006 (2007 MY), and have had absolutely no issues since. Absolutely the most reliable vehicle I have ever had: Oil, brakes, change brake fluid, battery (after 6 years), thats it! Still drives like brand new. Of course others on this board have horror stories with BMW! Also has the nice all maintenance/oil included warranty (Porsche will charge you couple of thousands in those 4 years on oil changes and "inspection maintenance"), so you can ditch it after it is about to expire if things don't look good.

I like my Cayenne a little better though!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

We have 3 about the same age and generally been happy with it. A couple of minor issues and the xdrive controller failed just before the warranty ran out. Its the reason I was mainly considering the X5d and when its time is up we'll be looking hard at the 5s (especially if they bring the wagon back which is what we really wanted!).
Old 04-08-2013, 01:30 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a Touareg Sport or Lux. Service included for 3/36. Not sure of stripped down Cayenne unless you just want the badge and status. My $0.02.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:49 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

^ ^ ^

Not sure of stripped down Cayenne unless you just want the badge and status.
Disagree!

I enjoy my stripped down Cayenne for the driving pleasure it gives me: that of the chassis and the intrinsic tuning Porsche added to it as well as the suspension and drivetrain (and the sportier interior) to differentiate it from its siblings for a few grand more. I did not want to spend the equivalent money on the many overloaded "floating" SUVs, that for me would not result in the same level of enjoyment.

As for Touareg/Q7 almost all articles agree they do not drive like a Cayenne. Good vehicles as well, depends what you want to put your money into.

Now you may prefer to be surrounded by supple leathers, endless seat adjustments, colourful GPS displays, rich wood trims, fancy lighting, and Burmester tunes. Or a nice Turbo badge. Well thats just a higher form of status symbol to me! And does not make the vehicle what it is IMHO ... except for maybe the Turbo and suspension upgrades

To each their own!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:12 PM
fincher
Racer

Yes, to each his own. My reply was based on the OP's first post. He is comparing to a Lexus. His budget is $50-55k. I see it as badge-oriented before driving dynamics. Again, my $0.02.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:21 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

I'll meet you half way, from a video review that was posted here:

"Looking for a good drivers car? Don't buy an SUV. Want the best driving SUV? Buy a Porsche Cayenne!"
Old 04-08-2013, 02:39 PM
fincher
Racer

LOL. I'm not debating the driving dynamics. Agree the Cayenne is the best at that. The OP doesn't even mention driving dynamics.

To me, the guy wants the badge first and wants the lowest-cost entry point. He can get a base Touareg for a lot less, no frills, no leather, etc., and get a similar driving experience...just no woodie.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:46 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Well, OP's "other car" is a GT3, I assumed he likes driving dynamics! And has the top of the badge already!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:48 PM
fincher
Racer

Great. We have met halfway.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Whyteone
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at the usual suspects that I'm sure others here did as well. And the Cayenne came back as the best value for my money. I just wish I hadn't wasted so much time looking at the other vehicles is probably my only complaint.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:00 AM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 211 Posts

Thanks for all the input. After driving both the Cayenne V6 / Diesel vs GS350-F extensively it's still a tough call:

1) Cayenne- handles / responds better than pretty much any other SUV out there (but agree the V6 doesn't quite have the punch and is clearly slower than the GS); looks great (esp the front / side profile); has the best "behind the wheel" feeling - the perfect driver's cockpit with perfect seats, classic gauges, and fantastic steering wheel. It's also a beast in the snow and has unmatched towing capacity; good reliability but I am somewhat concerned about keeping it beyond the warranty period; and of course, it has the Porsche badge- which I suspect means something to all of us.

2) GS350 Fsport- handles as well as any other midsize sedan in it's price range ie. 5 series / A6 / E class / M37, and overall probably is more fun to drive than the Cayenne V6 given it's lighter weight, lower center of gravity, etc. The Fsport in black or nebula gray looks great too - call it a draw with the non-GTS Cayenne in my book. The interior is impressive with sport seats, chunky steering wheel, standard full leather, etc - but the Cayenne remains superior in this area. It's prob not as good in the snow, and obviously has zero tow capacity; has the best reliability in the auto industry; and although Lexus is a great nameplate, it ain't Porsche.

Agree the X3 3.5 is very nice but not sold on the aesthetics and feels relatively flimsly compared to the Cayenne. Q5 3.0 is another consideration but not a fan of the steering; would prob wait for Macan if going this route.

Oh well, looking forward to another weekend at the dealerships with my 1 year old son
Old 04-09-2013, 01:38 AM
fincher
Racer

I like your honesty. You should test drive the diesel based on your daily mileage. I'm in Chicago, too, and have a similar commute. More fun to drive that the base V6 gasser IMHO.

I'm also waiting for the Macan to see if its offered in a diesel here. If not, I will wait and enjoy my Touareg Diesel and look seriously at the Cayenne Diesel again.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Whyteone
Track Day

Why are you worried after the Porsche warranty runs out? You do know that Porsche is number 2 on the JD power reliability ranking (again)...right behind Lexus. More reliable than Honda, Acura, and Toyota.

Here's a link...http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...ss-release.htm
Old 04-23-2015, 09:00 PM
TD Pcar
Advanced

I'll throw my 2 cents in as my DD is a loaded 2011 Cayenne S that I bought CPO $60k out the door with 29K miles and my wife's DD is a 14'GS350 which replaced an 09' GS350.

The new GS is a huge step up and finally competes on even footing with BMW. As compared to the Cayenne, I find the elec steering over boosted until you select Sport mode in the GS which tightens up the steering. Same engine as 09 GS but better exhaust sound on 14.
Overall, it is fun to drive and tge retuned suspension handles great.

As good as the GS is, The V8 Cayenne is more fun, sounds better, and with air suspension + PASM handles just as well with more cargo room, towing ability and respectable gas mileage.

As nice as the Lexus is, it is not exclusive, doesn't turn heads, and doesn't provoke questions like the CS does.

In the end I like balancing Porsche fun with Lexus reliability in the garage. If I had to choose one - Cayenne - you only live once.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:39 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
^^^

And just to be a contrarian, check out the 5-series, if you are going the GS350 route

Bought my 5er brand new in 2006 (2007 MY), and have had absolutely no issues since. Absolutely the most reliable vehicle I have ever had: Oil, brakes, change brake fluid, battery (after 6 years), thats it! Still drives like brand new. Of course others on this board have horror stories with BMW! Also has the nice all maintenance/oil included warranty (Porsche will charge you couple of thousands in those 4 years on oil changes and "inspection maintenance"), so you can ditch it after it is about to expire if things don't look good.

I like my Cayenne a little better though!
Steve- Needsdecaf is referring to the F10, you have an E60- which is a much more fun car to drive. I miss my 2009 535i, wonderful car, sold too soon. Just needed tires in 5 years.. OP is looking for apples or oranges, an SUV to a sports sedan. Kind of hard to help until he narrows his search.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver Help- Cayenne V6 vs GS350 vs ???