Sponsored by:

Overall Reliability of Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:18 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
How does the coolant pipe issue manifest? Slow leak and smell of burning antifreeze, or catastrophic failure and calling for a flatbed? I just had a major service last year. I like my dealer, but I hadn't really hung out here yet and didn't know what to ask them. I don't blame them for not proactively coming clean with all the normal failure items, and when I complained after the fact that I would have replaced the ignition coils had I known, they were nice enough to replace them for the price of the parts, no labor. I didn't know about the coolant pipes. What should I expect?
Either failure mode is possible. Mine never leaked. What did leak (weep) was a fitting on the back of the aluminum crossover between the two cylinder heads. Took Porsche about 2 years of fairly regular visits to finally track it down. They did - and it was the last item fixed under CPO.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:19 PM
VERYGREEDY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at Cayenne's for over a year and haven't been able to find just the right one at the right price. Yesterday I drove to Chicago 100 miles to look at an '06 S and it was smoking out the tail pipes. Not white smoke, but still enough to make me think it's burning oil with irregularity and it spooked me.

I'm talking to a dealer in Westmont, IL (Mercedes dealer) The 2008 S (Burgandy) Cayenne they have for sale....seems like the 08'-10' have fewer problems. I've done a search on here for a bit, but can someone link me to the what I should be looking for with an 08' S? I was surprised that I liked the Burgandy exterior paint as much as I did...I think it looks really good. Apparently no worries on the coolant pipes with an 08'. Any guidance is appreciated! Thx.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:36 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I had an 04 S and sold it just before warranty expired. Several ECU replacements and a scored cylinder issue were enough for me to punt. Burnt out bulbs and electronic gadgets blinking and beeping were less catastrophic but very annoying.

I loved its driving dynamics as an SUV, so I decided to give the model another try with an 09 V6. So far, it has been very reliable. I went with the proven V6 (no coolant pipe, scored cylinder issues) and minimal electronic options. No pano roof, etc.

I'll likely do the same approach when I go for a Cayenne Diesel in a couple of years.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:41 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

My wife and I had a 2008 Cayenne GTS , we put 24,000 miles on it and the only problem were we had to replace tires at 18,000 ( we had 21 in wheels) and the Suburban that a young man tried to stick in our rear while we were stopped at a light. He was going close to 30 when he hit us. No glass was broken on the Cayenne, no frame damage and all doors including the back hatch still worked normally. I was able to drive it 50 miles at highway speeds to the shop, but it did crab down the highway. It was fixed and sold. We now have 30,000 on a 2011 Cayenne S and no problems whatsoever except that the nav unit has been replaced. We are still on the original tires and they have 6/32 left. We tow frequently and highway speeds are high in Texas. The difference on tires we went with 19" wheels this time. So how do I like the Cayenne, well we have a 2014 Cayenne Diesel on order for my wife and will keep the "S" They are great vehicles, very nimble, quick and comfortable and I would say not out of line on service. I change oil every 5000 miles and check filters regularly. Great vehicle in my opinion.

Oh by the way the kid's Suburban that hit us in the rear had to be towed off with considerable damage, it even had a small fire in the dash
Old 05-26-2013, 01:41 PM
VERYGREEDY
Intermediate

Interesting....I really want the V8 - but is the scored cylinder issue limited to the 03'-06' years? Being an 08' I'm looking at I'm curious if there are any big ticket items I should watch for.

I thought I read somewhere the carden shaft issues were limited to the 1st generation too. The second gen seems more reliable yes? Much thanks. I plan to drive 100 miles to go test drive it Tuesday, but I want to know more of what I'm looking for. The car has 67k miles on it, but I can get a 36k 3 year extended warranty through my credit union that covers all major repairs parts and labor.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:47 PM
VERYGREEDY
Intermediate

Thanks F4 PLT - Here's the one I'm looking at; http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Any advice on what to look for is appreciated. I put in an offer, but haven't heard back yet. The deal on the 2006S just wouldn't work out, so I'm thinking this 2008 S will be the better option. I wanted black on beige, but this burgandy on beige looks great to me......
Old 05-26-2013, 04:09 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by VERYGREEDY
Thanks F4 PLT - Here's the one I'm looking at; http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Any advice on what to look for is appreciated. I put in an offer, but haven't heard back yet. The deal on the 2006S just wouldn't work out, so I'm thinking this 2008 S will be the better option. I wanted black on beige, but this burgandy on beige looks great to me......
Our 2008 was great, that said if you can swing getting a 2011 or newer you gain a lot. The mileage is much better as they lightened the vehicle in 2011 and revamped the tiptronic tranny from a 6 speed to an 8 speed. On our 2008 GTS I got around 14mpg in town and just shy of 19mpg on the road. With our 2011 "S" I'm getting 17-18 in town and up to 25+ on the highway. A big improvement. If you don't need the heavy towing ( even though the V6 is rated the same 7800 lbs towing as the 8) I would consider the V6 it is very energetic. That said the 2008 "S" is a solid vehicle.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:42 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the thing though...

'08 S = $25k
11 CS = $50k+

Fuel economy is moot when talking about 25 grand.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:04 PM
VERYGREEDY
Intermediate

Well...it'll be $30k unfortunately.

If I can talk them down to $25k from $27k taxes are $2k and a 3-year 36000 mile warranty will run me at least another $2k so $29-$31k I'm figuring.

I'd rather have an 2008 Porsche C-S than a new Outback I think....I can't find any 08''s cheaper than than $27k at all.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:18 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Just for kicks.. Go to autotrader and select "any distance" from zip. Set year for 2008. Then go advanced and select 8 cylinder. Then range to price from $20-30k. The cheapest one is $23kish.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:35 PM
VERYGREEDY
Intermediate

Yeah...there's that one in NY Long Island for about $24k that's the cheapest....and who knows what's up with it. Most 2008 Cayenne S's are closer to $29-34k.

Is there are any thread on common issues with 2008-2010 models? Unfortunately I can't justify a 2011...love to...but other priorities to spend the capital on. I know I don't want a 2003-2006 any longer....only looking at 2008's-2010 at this point and the 2008 and would really like to stay at or under $30k for vehicle, fees/taxes and a 3-year extended warranty. Ideally 40-75k miles, but really no more than that.....

Any threads on common issues with 2nd gen Cayenne's? I understand most of the issues from gen 1 were fixed in gen 2. Thanks guys!

My 2007 Lexus RX350 that I bought in 08' has been an amazing truck....that's the wife's car. I need something similar, but didn't want another Lexus or a Mercedes...I liked the Porsche Cayenne S or GTS.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:54 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Something to consider, btw, is the nav got updated to touch screen in 2009. Also if you can snag one with PASM and/or PDCC (preferably both) it will reward you in ride and handling. The way to check is look for the suspension controls near the arm rest in silver.

The right toggle switch shows that it has air suspension. The silver look and small pdcc shows that it has that option.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:40 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Well... the cheapest 957 I could find with pdcc was an 08 turbo for $35k. I didn't find a single S optioned with it.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Cole
Drifting

Fwiw. I'm at 110k on my 04 Turbo and haven't had any issues that I wouldn't consider regular maintenance for any car really.

Some of the thing you guys list as reliability issues are silly and thing that EVERY car on earth running a combustion motor will face at some point. Especially one with this kind of performance. Not really fair to do comparisons to vehicles making half the power that handle like a horse carriage and have the interior of a barn.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:42 PM
VERYGREEDY
Intermediate

Well the 2006 S that I saw Saturday and had the check in hand....was smoking so bad outside of the tailpipe that I knew it was not just burning oil...but burning it badly.

My 1998 3000GTSL has more miles on it and I've maintained it extremely well....doesn't burn any oil at all. I had them both running side by side and I couldn't see anything from the dual exhaust on mine...but the car with less miles and 8 years newer was smoking like a chimney. I walked. Now looking at an 08' S. There were some key fixes on the 2nd generation Cayenne's from what I'm reading. I don't want to spend $30k on a used Porsche then face a host of problems with it.....the plastic pipes on the 03'-06' models cost over $2000 to replace alone....not wanting to deal with any of that.

Quick Reply: Overall Reliability of Cayenne