Sponsored by:

OMG the Saga Continues-Water in the Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default OMG the Saga Continues-Water in the Trunk

So far my 2010 957 GTS DE3 with 48.5K miles has had the following replaced: front/rear brakes, all fluids, cardan shaft, passenger seat and airbag sensors, horns, numerous bulbs, tires and now, drum roll please ----- my entire trunk is flooded!

Just got my Cayenne back from the dealer and began to detail it. Opened the driver side trunk compartment to place a few items inside when I noticed there was water on the shelf. I knew this was wrong so I removed the spare tire cover and see standing water in the styrofoam tool holder slots, not good! Looking further I see freestanding water sloshing around under my spare tire so I remove the tire. You guessed it, the Bose speaker sub-woofer cabinet was awash in three inches of water. No wonder I thought my Bose Surround System sounded terrible, most of my rear speakers were under water! I remove the four nuts that hold the speaker cabinet, grab a large sponge and begin to remove as much water as I can. Mind you it's 28 degrees and windy so this isn't fun! I get most of the water out and use a hair dryer to dry as much of the affected area as I can. But, I can't get all the water out and it continues to drip from the speaker cabinet. I button everything up, call Porsche to see if this is covered under my OEM warranty which it isn't, unless it's due to a factory structural defect/failure.

Frankly I don't know what caused the water leak but suspect it's a clogged drain plug in my Pano roof. Anyway, I'm now concerned that any water exposed electrical components, speakers etc. will eventually fail due to rust/corrosion. The four nuts holding the cabinet were already rusted.

When I notified Porsche they said they had never heard of this. I'm going to insist they replace the Bose speaker cabinet and all components and extend my rust warranty. Perhaps you should consider looking under your spare tire to see if it's happended to you. Thoughts?

Last edited by 4ocious; 02-19-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:32 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you sure are getting your share of teething issues.. sorry about all the problems mate.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sure it's the pano roof drains that have blocked with ice. Nevertheless, I would leave the car in a heated garage for a few hours, fully open the roof and using a small funnel or large shop syringe, pour water into the surrounding tray. Verify that all drains are unblocked.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:17 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why are there post missing? Mods???
Old 02-20-2013, 02:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
why are there post missing? Mods???
So you'd like to report a stolen post?

Can you describe the post?
When was the last time you saw the post?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:51 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wrote something like "the dealer should cover it considering that it was recently purchased."
Old 02-20-2013, 04:01 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

did you check and see if it posted... sometimes at least on my iphone I will accidentally click previous thread instead of quick reply.. The first time i did that I didnt put two and two together and then noticed my post was missing..
Old 02-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Really sorry to hear. My '10 has been very reliable. No issues. Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:58 PM
D2k
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard of pano roofs being problematic in other makes of cars as well.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

It's slated to return to Mother Porsche for some TLC on Friday. I'm on travel this week or it would have been sooner. Right now it's sitting under cover at the airport. I know the Cayenne has a good to excellent reliability record to-date so this seems a bit odd. I hope the saga ends soon.

Quick Reply: OMG the Saga Continues-Water in the Trunk