Sponsored by:

Bought 2004 CTT and now a 10000 miles later report

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 PM
ericstaup
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought 2004 CTT and now a 10000 miles later report

72,000 miles now at 82,000. Had the car checked by an Indy mechanic before I purchased and they said only issue they found was an emission fault code indicating a secondary pump issue. Pump is working fine so must be a leak somewhere but car run perfect and I havent had time to have it fixed. The carden shafts had been replaced as had the coolant pipes under the exhaust manifold. However I had a coolant line behind the engine break and decided to replace everything back there replaced for $1200. I also had a brake booster fault and thanks to this forum was able to locate the cracked hose and repaired it. Had the front carden shaft mount gasket thing replaced $200.

The one issue that the Indy missed is a noisy front differential which I also missed when test driving it. I guess I was overly caught up in the test drive. Big black mark on the Indy. It is noisey from 70 to 81 mph so try to drive elsewhere. Had the diff oil changed and it was shot. New oil didn't help. It's not that bad but people do ask what that noise is. Trying figure out what to do about it.
Got some sweet almost new Michelin Latitude sports for $280 out the door. Score! The Michelins do seem to be a better griping and firmer handling tire than the previous Continental Extreme Contacts but I would go for the Conti's for overall comfort and handling. both are excellent in rain. The Michelins just seem to have less give on the sidewalls under hard cornering.
Just bought rear hatch struts and will replace shortly. $180.
Replaced the pads myself...very easy.

That's it...love the truck saving up for differential.

Eric
Old 02-16-2013, 01:25 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

What's the diff doing?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:36 AM
ericstaup
Advanced

Front Diff is whining. Not rpm dependent whine, it's strictly speed and load related. When accelerating even the slightest it goes away. Its like an offroad tire type of whine. Maybe higher pitched.

Eric
Old 02-16-2013, 11:41 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Weird but I've heard of this. I have the same exact model and year as you. I think my transmission is whiny....maybe it's the diff.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:17 PM
ericstaup
Advanced

Tranny noise is probably going to change pitch as you go through the gears...diff whine doesnt change pitch.

Eric
Old 02-17-2013, 10:55 AM
OakBeach
7th Gear

I have an 06 CS with 37,000 miles and have a similar noise but it seams to be from the rear. Brought it to a Indy about the noise and he said that it might be the tires. So swapped out Michelins to Conti extremes, didn't reduce the humming/ whining noise much at all. The noise isn't any louder with the window down, does change with rpms, doesn't go away when turning, doesn't stop or change when put into neutral. It starts around 40 mph and is worst at 62, above 75 it's not as noticable.
I was thinking about load force balancing the tires, but I think it might be the differential or cardan shaft.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-17-2013, 11:01 PM
ericstaup
Advanced

If it changes pitch I don't think it's the diff. Did you check the diff fluid? Mine was watery and shot.

Eric
Old 02-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Stone43
Racer

Ironic. i bought an 04 CTT with 70K on the clock about 2 years ago. Now I have 109K (big commute). So far:

Cardan shaft failure
Battery replacement
Turbo cooling pipe failure
Water pump and some other cooling tube failure
Divorce (non related)
Brakes
.....and now an intermittent airbag light comes on. It won't even stay on (which would be much less annoying) it comes on and goes off. Many times along with the beep. This thing is testing my sanity.

Gas $4.50 a gallon in California and the depreciation hit this thing has taken has all but led me down the path of (after 20 years and multiple 911's and two cayennes) taking a break from the Porsche world for a while........
Old 03-02-2013, 09:37 PM
OakBeach
7th Gear

I just change the rear diff oil today with Mobil1 75- 90 LS. The old oil looked pretty dark but didn't smell bad, thinner but not watery. It seams just a little quieter. The pitch really doesn't change with speed, it resonates at 62 mph. That is the loudest it gets, starts around 35 and is still there but wind noise takes over above 75 or 80. Sound Doesn't change with rpms, does change in neutral go 62 mph, doesn't change when turning hard lane to lane. I'm starting to think its a wheel bearing or cardan shaft. I can push the the shaft p and down about 1/2 inch but it is secure and solid.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:43 PM
ericstaup
Advanced

Sounds like the diff. I think a bearing noise would change as you are turning hard back and forth
Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 PM
OakBeach
7th Gear

Just wanted to give you guys an update. Found a new Indy thanks to this board. They test drove and put it on the lift. Bad rear wheel bearing. Fixed and now it's like new again. Also had front brakes and rotors done. Wheel bearing $150, 5 hrs labor at $115.

Quick Reply: Bought 2004 CTT and now a 10000 miles later report