Sponsored by:

2013 V6 vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2013 V6 vibrations

When I got my Cayenne, the V6 was a little rough compared to other luxury cars I have owned. I chalked it up to the VR6 being a 25 year old VW design previously used in anything from Golfs to commercial vans. Reviews also usually complain about the VR6 being a bit rough around the edges, and my test drives of the V6 before buying were not exactly silky smooth. Anyways, was satisfied for the savings over the V8 for my needs.

Specifically:
Idle not the smoothest.
Engine vibration at 1100RPM.
Roughness at 3800RPM that sometimes caused a resonant sound in dash.
Some tingles and grittiness felt in steering.
Some steering vibration at 70mph.
Auto start/stop a little rough.

All above was to a minor degree (and what you would feel in any economy car), but not exactly fitting for a car that can optioned up to $100K.

Seemed to be a little worst in winter, so told the dealer to take a look while replacing my infamous clock. After diagnosis, I apparently needed new downpipes (backordered) as they were vibrating !?!

Anyways, got them swapped out yesterday, and what a difference! My car has never been so smooth, no more vibrations, nothing tingling in the steering, and auto start much smoother!

Never read about this fix in the forums, and was skeptical that exhaust parts would make a difference, but it most certainly did!

BTW, Googled the part number, $1500 each (and there are two) and sounds like many hours of labour from the work order description!

As usual, more than happy with the Porsche buying and service treatment at my dealer!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

Good to know. I haven't had any of those issues with mine, but if they start, I know a possible culprit now. Thanks for posting!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At least porsche was paying your stealership. They are happy as long as they can overcharge someone, even if its corporate.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Hartdude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
At least porsche was paying your stealership. They are happy as long as they can overcharge someone, even if its corporate.
Dealerships overcharging Porsche? Porsche tells shops what their warranty labor rate is, and what the shops "get" to charge them for each job.

Example: Warranty labor rate might be $100 per hour flagged, but customer pay labor rate might be $110.

Another example: Warranty time for coolant pipes on a first gen Cayenne was/is something like 4 hours, but most shops will charge between 8 and 12 hours on customer pay jobs. That warranty time is what you get, no matter if it takes you longer to do the job, or not.

Believe me, your Porsche tech is not getting rich off of any kind of warranty work.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That doesn't seem to lend much incentive for the dealer to push for warranty repairs.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:41 PM
AnchorRanch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad the vibration problem has benn fixed!

Quick Reply: 2013 V6 vibrations