Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any progress on the LED trailer light issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM
joeyvaz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased an 06 S with a trailer hitch installed, but there is no electrical plug next to it. Would I use one of these devices installed into my existing tail lights or is it more involved than that. I plan on pulling a trailer with a small boat for fishing once in while.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by joeyvaz
I purchased an 06 S with a trailer hitch installed, but there is no electrical plug next to it. Would I use one of these devices installed into my existing tail lights or is it more involved than that. I plan on pulling a trailer with a small boat for fishing once in while.

Thanks.
It's slightly more involved than that but not difficult at all. Do a search (on this forum) for "trailer lights pollak" and you'll find several threads on it. You just need to acquire the female socket that the male Valley plug goes into and install it. A piece of cake really.

Edit: What you need is something like this, I don't know if this is the correct one for the Cayenne or not but you may look on Pollak's site for exact application info. Personally I got mine from JC Whitney several years ago, much cheaper than Porsche's or VW's at the time.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Is the search feature broke? I tried several combinations and it kept coming up no results found.

I'll ask on the support forum if they're having issues.

Update: Apparently the search function is broke right now, others have already reported it.

I can just imagine Gretch delving into code......
Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 AM
joeyvaz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bill. I just read in the manual that there is a little door near the trailer hitch. I need to open that and make sure I have the plug there. Then I can just purchase a plug that will convert/match the hitch I buy for my boat. Thanks!!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Well I ordered the part from E-Trailer (p/n TR-20141) but it won't work. Even though the info on the web site says it's a 7 blade to 5pin/4pin adapter the actual part packaging makes no mention of being a 4 pin adapter and due to the molding surrounding the (trailer end) 4 pin plug you would have to cut/modify the trailer end to make it work and I seriously doubt U-Haul would let me do that.

CS at E-Trailer has been a little challenging to make him understand that it doesn't work, he keeps saying "just plug it into the adapter and leave the last pin open" but he's obviously not understanding this. I finally (after 3 or 4 times trying to explain it) told him to go fetch this TR-20141 part and a 4 pin flat connecter, try it and call me back. Still waiting for him to call.

This part was made by Tow-Ready, I'll have to find someone who sells the Valley part.

Edit: Hey Mike, is there any way you can take a pic of the 4/5 way flat end of the Valley adapter? I want to see if it looks the same as this Tow Ready one.

Thanks.

I may just modify the 5 pin flat end of the adapter, cut off the last pin and modify the surrounding plastic to make the 4 pin plug work. To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a 5 pin plug, wonder what trailers use it?

Last edited by Slow Guy; 02-18-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Any progress on the LED trailer light issue?