Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any progress on the LED trailer light issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Any progress on the LED trailer light issue?

OK, I know very well Porsche hasn't admitted there's anything wrong with their setup, I was wondering if any aftermarket supplier has come up with an adapter that allows us to use U-Haul trailers (w/ LED lights) with these things? I thought there was a 7 pin round to 4 prong flat that had some resistors built in that allowed the lights to function. I checked 3 auto parts stores but none knew what I was talking about, neither did U-Haul.

I tried to rent a trailer at U-Haul this afternoon, trailer had LED lights. The brake lights worked fine but the tail lights and turn signals just blinked real dimly the whole time (even with the P!g turned off and key removed the trailer lights continued to blink rapidly). Couldn't use the trailer because I'll be driving about 1400 mi., much of it at night.

I know we have several trailer light threads, I was hoping there was some new info.

Fortunately I have my trailer (w/ std. bulbs) that works fine, it's just bigger and heavier than I need for this trip. Oh well, at least I have a backup.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clarification please; I installed a seven blade connector on my '13 CD. You wrote "seven pin" connector. Both are round. It makes a difference when you're shopping for an adapter. I also have a 7-blade to 4 pin adapter. That said, none of my 3 trailers have LED lighting, so I can't help in that area. Sorry.

//greg//
Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Bill, I installed a Pollak 7 way blade connector on my 2011 Cayenne. Can't guarantee it would be the same for your '06 but I got the info on the Pollak from a thread that was referencing earlier Peppers so I think it would work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

Then I bought the adaptor in the pics below. It's made by Valley but was available through a VW/Audi dealer; can't recall which one. I do remember that the dealer web site listed part numbers for Tourareg and Q7 models which are interchangeable with the Cayenne. I've pulled equipment rental and U-Haul trailers with both regular and LED lights with no problems. It even deactivates my backup sensors and activates appropriate warning lights in my instrument display.
Attached Images   
Old 02-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

I tried the same adapter on in my '10 and it does not work with UHaul LED light trailers. For whatever reasons, the brake lights didn't work. Maybe it now works for the newer models.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm thinking about getting this one:

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Curt/C57003.html

Note that it also comes in a 7-4pin
Old 02-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I tried the same adapter on in my '10 and it does not work with UHaul LED light trailers. For whatever reasons, the brake lights didn't work. Maybe it now works for the newer models.
They worked fine for me....must have been a change, as you say.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Bill, I installed a Pollak 7 way blade connector on my 2011 Cayenne. Can't guarantee it would be the same for your '06 but I got the info on the Pollak from a thread that was referencing earlier Peppers so I think it would work.

Then I bought the adaptor in the pics below. It's made by Valley but was available through a VW/Audi dealer; can't recall which one. I do remember that the dealer web site listed part numbers for Tourareg and Q7 models which are interchangeable with the Cayenne. I've pulled equipment rental and U-Haul trailers with both regular and LED lights with no problems. It even deactivates my backup sensors and activates appropriate warning lights in my instrument display.
Mike, outstanding! I'll look for one of those. I have the same style (and yes I meant 7 blade to 4 pin flat, I was concerned more with the LED issue) but it doesn't do anything about the LED load.

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Crazy thing with the 7 blade to 4 pin flat I've used since I got the P!G is the brake lights were the only thing that did work connected to the U-Haul!

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Clarification please; I installed a seven blade connector on my '13 CD. You wrote "seven pin" connector. Both are round. It makes a difference when you're shopping for an adapter. I also have a 7-blade to 4 pin adapter. That said, none of my 3 trailers have LED lighting, so I can't help in that area. Sorry.

//greg//
Yeah, Greg, I was concentrating on the LED side of the issue, it is a 7 blade round to 4 pin flat adapter that we need for most common trailer lights. See Mike's version above.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Having a heck of a time finding the Valley above but I did find this site, maybe the brand is Valley, we'll see. Ordering it now.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

This adapter works. I have it on my '11 CS. I trailer a Trailex with LED. Brake lights, back up sensors, etc. all work fine. However, if the Cayenne is off and the trailer is still plugged in, the lights on the trailer will intermittently blink. My solution is to just unplug the trailer when parked at the track or elsewhere. I doubt the battery drain is very much, but I do it anyway.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by scott40
This adapter works. I have it on my '11 CS. I trailer a Trailex with LED. Brake lights, back up sensors, etc. all work fine. However, if the Cayenne is off and the trailer is still plugged in, the lights on the trailer will intermittently blink. My solution is to just unplug the trailer when parked at the track or elsewhere. I doubt the battery drain is very much, but I do it anyway.
I noticed that too with the U-haul connected to my '06 w/ the basic 7 blade to 4 pin flat adapter, they blinked very rapidly even with all lights off and the key removed. Strange. If it still does it with the new LED adapter I'll just unplug too.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Having a heck of a time finding the Valley above but I did find this site, maybe the brand is Valley, we'll see. Ordering it now.
Looks similar Bill, hope it works for you. When I bought mine over a year ago I also had a heck of a time finding the Valley piece. Word at the time was they were moving their manufacturing plant and product distribution was disrupted, but I was able to eventually find a VW dealer that stocked it under their part number. I would have thought they would have had it resolved by now, assuming they are still in business.

Originally Posted by scott40
I haven't noticed that. I'll have to pay more attention next time I trailer.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What trailer light issue?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Cue the squirrels, please..........
Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks similar Bill, hope it works for you. When I bought mine over a year ago I also had a heck of a time finding the Valley piece. Word at the time was they were moving their manufacturing plant and product distribution was disrupted, but I was able to eventually find a VW dealer that stocked it under their part number. I would have thought they would have had it resolved by now, assuming they are still in business.

I haven't noticed that. I'll have to pay more attention next time I trailer.
Got mine at the local VW dealer. It was a Valley part. My vintage travel trailer with incandescent lighting works perfectly and my cargo trailer with LED's only blinks when the truck is shutoff.....makes for a nice theft deterrent! I have left it plugged in overnight with no problems.

Lewis--Glad to see that you finally solved your Cayenne trailer issue--No Cayenne, No Issue!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Budget M3

Lewis--Glad to see that you finally solved your Cayenne trailer issue--No Cayenne, No Issue!
I don't see how you can associate the unexplained sudden "disappearance" of Larry's Cayenne (which IIRC PCNA lawyers stated in no uncertain terms would never be purchased back by PCNA since there was no issue) with any sort of solution.

Clearly there can't be a solution where there is no problem....there wasn't even a trial

Quick Reply: Any progress on the LED trailer light issue?