Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiv122
Here is the one I bought on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130824149662...84.m1497.l2649

$179 - well worth it. Took me from 4/2005 to 8/2007. Just stick the new disc in and it upgrades the maps - only took a few minutes.

Erik
Thanks. I think I'll skip it. For the D.C. metro area, that little bump isn't going to do much for me.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Parabola
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Vertex treated me well.. but I did have to call and remind him to process the core deposit.
Just wanted to chime in and say I had the same experience. Was a very nice guy to talk to, just took me 3 different calls over a 2 week period to get the core deposit processed.

I replaced with the rebuilt drive shaft, but now have a small vibration under the seat of my pants at about 40-45mph (not in steering wheel). Off to troubleshoot....
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 PM
tifosiv122
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Congrats on the purchase tifosiv122 It looks like you made a great choice
Just placed an order for clear side markers from you guys - easy ordering, thank you.

Erik
Old 02-08-2013, 04:15 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just placed an order for clear side markers from you guys - easy ordering, thank you.
Thank you for the support Erik, if you ever have any questions or concerns feel free to PM us. Enjoy
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a small vibration after installing the rebuilt shaft too.. When I called vertex the owner guy told me there is a special tool to position the center support mount properly. He suggested fiddling with the position of the support shaft bushing. Because truth be told I had some local garage on the oregon coast do the job and I'm sure they just tossed the part in with out trying to perfectly center it.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Romsey
Cruisin'

I put a deposit on a 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S with 89K mileage in the North Jersey and New York City area. The Dealer was asking $27,800 for the car, but we now negotiated to $29500 for the car with 3 year/36 K extended powertrain warranty included (Through Fidelity Warranty Service).

The 3 year warranty separately costs about $4500 and includes coverages for the engine, transmission/transaxle/transfer case (clutch assemblies and all component parts are not covered), drive axle, and additional hybrid/plug-in electric/compressed natural gas components. Does not cover Steering, Brakes, Air Conditioning, Suspension, and Electrical.

Courtesy of Rennlist and thanks to you, i am getting a ppi done. The dealer has also confirmed the following:
1. Tires – just replaced
2. Brakes – just replaced
3. Coolant pipes – checked out
4. Cardan shaft –in good order. Test drove and car was pretty steady and was not all over the place.

5. Rear Hatch Shocks – yet to check
6. Starter - yet to check
7. Torque Converter seal - yet to check
8. New ignition coils - yet to check
9. PWIS Headlight - I read from another 2005 owner that sensors may require adjusting. Is this common?

Questions:
• Is this a reasonable offer for a 2006 Cayenne Turbo S?
• What other items should I look out for?
• Are the extended warranty coverages adequate for this car?

I am moving from a 2008 Range Rover Sport that only required the oil change, brake and tire replacements so I am concerned and doing all due diligence.

Thanks advance for your advice, much appreciated indeed.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:51 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

sounds great. Btw what does "coolant pipes - checked out" mean? If they haven't been replaced they HAVE to be. If it was me I would try to shave another $1k off the car and skip the warranty.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Romsey
Cruisin'

Thanks for the feedback. So you are saying the warranty is not really valuable for a this type of Cayenne at this mileage 89K.. I like this..
That means i could settle at $24,000 or $24,500 for a better deal on the car. This way, i can save the $4500 for maintenance when it is required.
Regarding the cardan shaft, i'll go confirm that.

Will keep ya posted
Old 08-15-2013, 01:28 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Thats the route i would go. Dealing with warranty companies can be really lame sometimes. I would try to just low ball the hell out of them and save your duckets for repairs. Also dont worry about cardan shaft yet... you will know when it needs to be replaced by severe driveline thumping. But if the coolant pipes have not actually been replaced that is where you will have to spend some money on the truck right out the door. You see its the coolant pipes bursting that takes out the starter and torque converter seal. So by waiting for them to burst it costs more money then if you just do the job proactively. They will fail btw its just a matter of when. However, it is possible that they have been replaced with the metal ones.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:53 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Thats the route i would go. Dealing with warranty companies can be really lame sometimes. I would try to just low ball the hell out of them and save your duckets for repairs. Also dont worry about cardan shaft yet... you will know when it needs to be replaced by severe driveline thumping. But if the coolant pipes have not actually been replaced that is where you will have to spend some money on the truck right out the door. You see its the coolant pipes bursting that takes out the starter and torque converter seal. So by waiting for them to burst it costs more money then if you just do the job proactively. They will fail btw its just a matter of when. However, it is possible that they have been replaced with the metal ones.
I second this, if you read around this board and others, those warranty companies do everything they can to get out of covering anything.

If for example the pipes burst, you are not covered because it is the coolant system and it is plastic.

Damage to the drive train not covered because it was caused by an external source (not internal but the leak of the coolant system). The best way to think of those warranties is they cover internally defective parts that were not caused by external damage or normal wear. Which on cars of this age and miles just excludes about everything. Budget 5,000 or so and you should be able to cover all issues with these cars, unless you have a lemon!

I too tried to get the torque converter seal covered under one of these warranties but had to pay out of pocket.

Here are what I think are rough costs for Porsche to do work on your car:
1,000 for starter
2,000 for torque converter seal
800 for cardan shaft
800 for coils
1,500 for coolant pipes
600 for hatch struts

I have found you can usually get a 10-20% discount if you have a good relationship with your dealer.

So start of slow, spend a little and it goes a long way.

I am guessing you are talking about me and the piwis leveling sensor for the headlight.

On xenon cars, there are two sensor, on front left and one rear right. My lights started bobing (trying to level like when you start the car and turn on the lights first time) when driving. I replaced the sensor and they bob no more, but I get the (!) check leveling of light or some such. This just means you have to have the lights on, level surface and the PIWIS tells the car that the current feedback from the sensor is level.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:32 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to add a few additional things to make sure are checked...

Agree with folks here, check and make sure the coolant tubes have been replaced. Also make sure the appropriate kit was used for replacement (aluminum) along with the appropriate parts. I would also have them verify any of the components around the coolant tubes are in good working order (alternator/starter) to ensure the coolant tubes didn't let go at some point previously and damage any of the components around the tubes with coolant. Super corrosive.

Obviously a no-brainer but make sure you have pads and rotors checked/replaced if less than 50%. On Cayennes, like your RR, it can eat brakes and rotors depending on how hard the PO drove it. No sense in you getting stuck with that bill if you can have it taken care of now.

Check to make sure the drive door side isn't "sagging" - happened on mine and needed to have a shim kit installed by the dealer. Not sure how normal this is but might as well have them checked.

Not sure if your Cayenne has PDCC but assuming so. Might not be a bad idea to have them check and service the PDCC system to ensure it's up to date.

Other than that, should be good to go. Great vehicles if maintained well.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Romsey
Cruisin'

Thanks for chipping in.. @ Tuareg, are your estimates for both labor and parts? I am hoping both.

The brakes and rotors just replaced by dealer and a 60K maintenance was performed.
I am not able to find the Turbo S anywhere and when i am able to find and call the listing on car gurus, autotrader, et al, i learn it was sold 2 days ago. I think that's how i got drawn into the these turbo Ss. It feels like they are rare to find.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:37 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

coolant pipe parts: $580
labor 8-12hrs @$$/hr
Old 08-15-2013, 06:28 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Romsey
Thanks for chipping in.. @ Tuareg, are your estimates for both labor and parts? I am hoping both.

The brakes and rotors just replaced by dealer and a 60K maintenance was performed.
I am not able to find the Turbo S anywhere and when i am able to find and call the listing on car gurus, autotrader, et al, i learn it was sold 2 days ago. I think that's how i got drawn into the these turbo Ss. It feels like they are rare to find.
Both, but as you can see, add that up and it is close to what you pay for warranty. Either way if the pipes have not been done, I would do them and then make sure no leaks have damaged anything else.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Romsey
Cruisin'

Default 2006 Cayenne Turbo S

Originally Posted by touareg
I second this, if you read around this board and others, those warranty companies do everything they can to get out of covering anything.

If for example the pipes burst, you are not covered because it is the coolant system and it is plastic.

Damage to the drive train not covered because it was caused by an external source (not internal but the leak of the coolant system). The best way to think of those warranties is they cover internally defective parts that were not caused by external damage or normal wear. Which on cars of this age and miles just excludes about everything. Budget 5,000 or so and you should be able to cover all issues with these cars, unless you have a lemon!

I too tried to get the torque converter seal covered under one of these warranties but had to pay out of pocket.

Here are what I think are rough costs for Porsche to do work on your car:
1,000 for starter
2,000 for torque converter seal
800 for cardan shaft
800 for coils
1,500 for coolant pipes
600 for hatch struts

I have found you can usually get a 10-20% discount if you have a good relationship with your dealer.

So start of slow, spend a little and it goes a long way.

I am guessing you are talking about me and the piwis leveling sensor for the headlight.

On xenon cars, there are two sensor, on front left and one rear right. My lights started bobing (trying to level like when you start the car and turn on the lights first time) when driving. I replaced the sensor and they bob no more, but I get the (!) check leveling of light or some such. This just means you have to have the lights on, level surface and the PIWIS tells the car that the current feedback from the sensor is level.

Got it, thanks. Ppi scheduled for tomorrow and i feel it's going to come out positive. :-) I can't wait to join the club.. Has anyone ever used a ppi in negotiating down the price of a car? So I am thinking if the ppi is bad, i run away. if fair - I offer $20000, if ppi is medium/avg $21000, and if the ppi is super clean - not even bring it up in my bargaining discussion, but offer $23,000.
Dealer is asking $27,500.
I am concerned there aren't many 2006 - 2008 Cayenne Turbo S available for sale within 100 miles of me. at least not below $35K
Your thoughts? since you are experts and have probably sold some of this in the past.

Quick Reply: Took delivery of my '06 Cayenne Turbo S