Sponsored by:

Took delivery of my '06 Cayenne Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 PM
tifosiv122
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took delivery of my '06 Cayenne Turbo S

Hey everyone! After waiting a few weeks, I finally took delivery of my 2006 Cayenne Turbo S. Overall the car is in good shape - a few scratches outside and some cuts in two parts of the leather (both of which are being replaced). Drove her about 100 or so miles so far and loving it.

Here's the build sheet:

2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Crystal Silver Metallic
Black Smooth Leather
Options:
PCM Inc Offroad Navigation
Satellite Radio XM
Front and Rear Floormats
Trailer Hitch w/o Hitch Ball
Wheel Hub Covers Colored Crest
Moonroof
6 Disc CD Changer
4-Zone Ari Conditioning
Roof Rails Aluminum Look

MSRP: $118,365

I haven't found the 6 Disc CD changer - I'm sure it's somewhere!

Today I changed the tail lights - much better!

Right now she joins our 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Hemi) and our 2011 Mercedes GLK 350 along with several Ferrari's in our stable. All I can say is this Cayenne is a blast to drive.

Thanks,
Erik
Attached Images       
Old 02-02-2013, 11:30 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Your CD unit is located in the rear cargo area, their is a cover/door on the rear right side of the Cayenne. Pull off the cover and you will see the CD unit just below the window....
Old 02-02-2013, 11:45 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

Congrats. Welcome to the club.

Speaking of which, now that I'm hanging out here I need to get a membership at some point.

One suggestion, lose the secondary cats. I did the Billy Boat cat back exhaust, high flo mufflers and straight pipes to replace the secondary cats. Gives you a better sound without being obnoxious and according to Mr. Boat, 30hp. I don't expect that's really the case, but adds a little something in sound and power.

If you're new to these trucks, set your trip counter and watch your oil burn. You'll need to add a quart of mobil1 0w40 ever 600-800 miles. Oil light won't come on until your two quarts low or so.

Also BTW, while I'm offering unsolicited advice, there's a company called Dension that has some plug and play goodies that add ipod, bluetooth, usb, hd radio.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:49 AM
tifosiv122
Advanced

Originally Posted by C4SJOHN
Your CD unit is located in the rear cargo area, their is a cover/door on the rear right side of the Cayenne. Pull off the cover and you will see the CD unit just below the window....
Thanks! I'll look tomorrow.

Originally Posted by icspres
Congrats. Welcome to the club.

Speaking of which, now that I'm hanging out here I need to get a membership at some point.

One suggestion, lose the secondary cats. I did the Billy Boat cat back exhaust, high flo mufflers and straight pipes to replace the secondary cats. Gives you a better sound without being obnoxious and according to Mr. Boat, 30hp. I don't expect that's really the case, but adds a little something in sound and power.

If you're new to these trucks, set your trip counter and watch your oil burn. You'll need to add a quart of mobil1 0w40 ever 600-800 miles. Oil light won't come on until your two quarts low or so.

Also BTW, while I'm offering unsolicited advice, there's a company called Dension that has some plug and play goodies that add ipod, bluetooth, usb, hd radio.
Thank you. I'm in talks with Fabspeed for the full kit (sec. cat delete, catback, ECU tune).

Just got an oil change on Friday - I'll start to monitor oil consumption.

Will checkout Dension - thanks for the tip!

On a not so good note - I think I need to do that driveshaft replacement. I'm feeling the thumping over 3,000 RPM. Going to call Vertex on Monday.

Taking a look outside - she's covered in snow. As she lived her whole life in CA, I imagine this is her first taste of it. (Currently in the center of the circle driveway)

Thanks,
Erik
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:57 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Security cams, on your iPhone?!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiv122

Thank you. I'm in talks with Fabspeed for the full kit (sec. cat delete, catback, ECU tune).

Just got an oil change on Friday - I'll start to monitor oil consumption.

Will checkout Dension - thanks for the tip!

On a not so good note - I think I need to do that driveshaft replacement. I'm feeling the thumping over 3,000 RPM. Going to call Vertex on Monday.

Taking a look outside - she's covered in snow. As she lived her whole life in CA, I imagine this is her first taste of it. (Currently in the center of the circle driveway)

Thanks,
Erik

Not a fan of Fabspeed. I've had very bad personal experience with them, heard tell of others. I wouldn't spend a dime with them. Nothing you can't get elsewhere.

Just my $.02, but I'd really recommend you do the exhaust, induction, filters if you're not sucking dust in your normal travels and see how you like it. Chipping it will take life off your motor. Squeeze another 50hp from airflow, make it sound faster and see if you're satisfied. Just MHO.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My '06 NA "S" only has 72k mi. and I haven't had the driveshaft issue yet but I thought the problem starts out as vibration/thumping at low take off speeds first, when the greatest torque was being transmitted through the driveshaft? Not the case?

Personally, I would look closely at the tires esp. if they're summer tires, they may have flat spots or suffering from cold/hard rubber. Just a suggestion.

Congrats, enjoy it.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 02-03-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

I've actually had a problem lately, dropping of the TTS tomorrow for diagnosis. I thought it was perhaps an exhaust leak but couldn't find one. It only occurs under load in low gear. Sounds like I may have the drive shaft problem. Hadn't heard about it previously. I still have a few months of CPO left, luckily.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

I've actually had a problem lately, dropping of the TTS tomorrow for diagnosis. I thought it was perhaps an exhaust leak but couldn't find one. It only occurs under load in low gear. Sounds like I may have the drive shaft problem. Hadn't heard about it previously. I still have a few months of CPO left, luckily.
The driveshaft problem isn't actually the driveshaft itself but with the support bearing and surrounding rubber "donut" in the middle of the driveshaft, mounted to the bottom of the car. This has been a common point of failure on BMW's for years (in addition to the Guibo's).

There are a couple of threads here on it and someone has even posted a few pics of replacing just the support bearing/rubber rather than the whole driveshaft.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:56 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
The driveshaft problem isn't actually the driveshaft itself but with the support bearing and surrounding rubber "donut" in the middle of the driveshaft, mounted to the bottom of the car. This has been a common point of failure on BMW's for years (in addition to the Guibo's).

There are a couple of threads here on it and someone has even posted a few pics of replacing just the support bearing/rubber rather than the whole driveshaft.
Thanks. It's feedback like this that reminds me to subscribe, which I have. I've notified my service adviser of the clue.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Thanks. It's feedback like this that reminds me to subscribe, which I have. I've notified my service adviser of the clue.
Some light reading (w/ pictures) on the subject....Cardian Shaft

I'd bet money your SA is well aware of this issue.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:03 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Some light reading (w/ pictures) on the subject....Cardian Shaft

I'd bet money your SA is well aware of this issue.
No doubt. But being able to call bull**** helps. They neglected to replace my ignition coils at my major, even though they were six years old. Only by calling them out was I able to get them to go back in and replace them for the cost of the parts, which they did smiling, happily without complaint. That's another debt of gratitude I owe this forum.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:29 PM
tifosiv122
Advanced

Originally Posted by seankrider
Security cams, on your iPhone?!
Yeah - I have 17 cameras monitoring my property 24/7. I can view it on my iPhone, computer, or the DVR it records to.

Not a fan of Fabspeed. I've had very bad personal experience with them, heard tell of others. I wouldn't spend a dime with them. Nothing you can't get elsewhere.

Just my $.02, but I'd really recommend you do the exhaust, induction, filters if you're not sucking dust in your normal travels and see how you like it. Chipping it will take life off your motor. Squeeze another 50hp from airflow, make it sound faster and see if you're satisfied. Just MHO.
You're not the first person to complain about FS. I'll do more research before choosing - thanks. 50 from removing secondary cats and an airfilter is highly unlikely - I've done plenty of ECU flashes on other vehicles without issue. Usually it's modifying top speed - shift points, and air/fuel ratio.

My '06 NA "S" only has 72k mi. and I haven't had the driveshaft issue yet but I thought the problem starts out as vibration/thumping at low take off speeds first, when the greatest torque was being transmitted through the driveshaft? Not the case?

Personally, I would look closely at the tires esp. if they're summer tires, they may have flat spots or suffering from cold/hard rubber. Just a suggestion.

Congrats, enjoy it.
From what I've read, it's exactly what I'm feeling - loud thump/vibration on passenger side. Engine is silk - tranny shifts smoothly - doubt it could be anything else. I raised her up all the way - suspension looks fine - rims/tires/brakes are all in tact - the truck has 110,000 miles - if it hasn't been replaced yet, I believe it's due.

Thanks for the good wishes.

I believe you are correct - however - unless I am mistaken, the shaft itself is the cheaper of the two parts - might as well replace both while the car is apart.

Thanks,
Erik
Old 02-04-2013, 01:33 AM
VIPNiSS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats!

make sure your coolants pipes and T's have been upgraded/updated.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiv122

You're not the first person to complain about FS. I'll do more research before choosing - thanks. 50 from removing secondary cats and an airfilter is highly unlikely - I've done plenty of ECU flashes on other vehicles without issue. Usually it's modifying top speed - shift points, and air/fuel ratio.

From what I've read, it's exactly what I'm feeling - loud thump/vibration on passenger side. Engine is silk - tranny shifts smoothly - doubt it could be anything else. I raised her up all the way - suspension looks fine - rims/tires/brakes are all in tact - the truck has 110,000 miles - if it hasn't been replaced yet, I believe it's due.

Thanks for the good wishes.

I believe you are correct - however - unless I am mistaken, the shaft itself is the cheaper of the two parts - might as well replace both while the car is apart.
The hp numbers from these bolt on's are dubious, said so myself earlier. Your catback with hiflo mufflers supposedly nets 30hp, the high flow intake is touted to add 12hp, and if memory serves KN doesn't really publish any numbers, but if they add more than 1%, you're at the 50hp. Caveat emptor. I don't buy the numbers either and they're interdependent. Sounds as though you like to chip and know what you're doing so ignore my cautions. I wouldn't, but then I think the car is enough. If I didn't, I'd probably be right there with you.

Just got back from Penske. Took my adviser for a spin. It is indeed the doughnut on the drive shaft. Caught it very early. Since I'm still under a CPO for a few months, it's a free repair and I doubt I'll have the car more than another 30k miles, so not offering to pay for a drive shaft while we're at it, but agree with the logic.

Quick Reply: Took delivery of my '06 Cayenne Turbo S