Cayenne vs. MB E63 AMG Wagen

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts
Default Cayenne vs. MB E63 AMG Wagen

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm in the due diligence process of looking for a replacement for my MB E Wagen. The car has served me very well but is beginning to get a bit long in the tooth at 263k miles and it's time to "upgrade".

At first I was going full retard into getting an E63AMG (awd isn't necessary even in this part of the US if I use snow tires - and I do). The rear compartment has tons of space as well as the "jump seats" if necessary. The back seats are also more than suitable for adults. The space and sometimes, but not too often, the extra seats are a huge bonus as I coach/manage a travel baseball team and need the space for equipment (box on roof rack too) and lots of teenage kids and some adults. I also have a largish Irish Setter who often travels in that space with me where he lies/sits/stands on top of his foldable kennel (necessary for staying in hotels). However, a "little bird" started whispering in my ear "Freddy, get a Cayenne!"

The Cayenne has nominally more stowage space (to the top of the seats) as measured by cubic feet capacity than the MB E Wagen but appears to have most of that volume "up high" rather than aft-fore in the Benz. My problem is that around here there is no Porsche dealer to "try on for size" and I don't know anyone locally who has one either.

I've had a couple of different P-cars in the past (all 911/variants, have one now) and did test drive a GTS a few years back and enjoyed it but this was before travel baseball equipment space needs and the giant Irish Setter. I wouldn't mind another Porsche, at all. In fact I'd enjoy it but the lynchpin is the usability of the space.

Does anyone herein have experience with both? Perhaps, experience with just a Cayenne where you'd utilize it in a similar manner?

Thanks in advance for all your help and insight.

Last edited by fast_freddy; 02-01-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:05 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I love E63 AMG wagons! I think the acceleration might splatter my German Shorthaired Pointers against the rear window though.

Are you looking at the brand new 958 or an older Cayenne?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:18 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
I thought you were Athenian not Spartan. WTF?

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I love E63 AMG wagons! I think the acceleration might splatter my German Shorthaired Pointers against the rear window though.

Are you looking at the brand new 958 or an older Cayenne?
2~ years old where the depreciation curve starts to flatten out. E63's are a screaming deal relatively speaking of course.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't speak to the MB or the 955/957, but I have a 958 with it's reason for being actually needing a SUV to be a SUV. Unfortunately while I love it, I don't think it's a good SUV.

1) Rear glass doesn't open so it's the whole tailgate or nothing. This can be annoying if you have a dog you don't want to jump out or something (hitch platform) blocking the tailgate from opening (which means whatever is at the back stays there).

2) The slant of the D pillar which seems to be all the rage anymore drastically kills your vertical space behind the seats. The result for you is that between that and how the rear seats angle back (in the up position), your dog doesn't have much room to stand and move around. It also makes packing a challenge as you have to take that into account. From what I recall the 955/957 is a bit better about this as the rear slant isn't as drastic.

3) High floors/low ceilings also impact packing/dogs. Standing on the back of the folded rear seats my dogs brush the ceiling. This also means you can't get as much in before you start blocking your rear view.

4) Another common annoyance for me in my search is that the rear seats don't fold entirely flat. Not having them side by side I think the Cayenne is better than BMW's X5, but it's still not remotely flat. Obviously this impacts your packing ability. The 955/957 do actually fold flat.

5) The idiot designers carpeted the walls and tailgate in the 958. That is oh so fun to clean dog hair and dirt out of...

I moved from an 04 Ford Escape and while the Cayenne is technically a bigger car with more interior space I found on our holiday trip that it didn't handle us, the kid (1yr), the 3 dogs (50lbs), and luggage nicely. It worked, but the dogs obviously weren't comfortable due to the angle of the seat back. Even without the kid it wouldn't have traveled as nicely (in regards to what we could take and the dogs being comfortable) as the Escape did. Next time I think I'm just going to pull the seat altogether and build a platform for them so they can ride flat.

It sounds bad, but I do love it and have no intention to trade it for a long time. I just don't think it's a good SUV, but then I went through a long list before settling on the Cayenne and the only one I looked at that I would call a useful SUV was the LR4 but it's gas milage is just atrocious.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

2) The slant of the D pillar which seems to be all the rage anymore drastically kills your vertical space behind the seats. The result for you is that between that and how the rear seats angle back (in the up position), your dog doesn't have much room to stand and move around. It also makes packing a challenge as you have to take that into account. From what I recall the 955/957 is a bit better about this as the rear slant isn't as drastic.
Nope, I find this to me a big issue in my 955, Very tight for my dog, they generally hang in the back seat.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:49 PM
YourFace
Spark-plug-girl
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are BJ a biggy in your life? If so, go for the E, if not, get the p!g

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

You should get the Feb/March 2013 issue of Road & Track. They do a head to head comparison of a Cayenne Turbo and a Mercedes E63 AMG Wagen. I won't spoil it for you.....
Old 02-01-2013, 06:04 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by freshfaceinurface
Are BJ a biggy in your life? If so, go for the E, if not, get the p!g
Duh...

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You should get the Feb/March 2013 issue of Road & Track. They do a head to head comparison of a Cayenne Turbo and a Mercedes E63 AMG Wagen. I won't spoil it for you.....
Go ahead and spoil it. That $5 will go approximately 22~ miles in either of the cars.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:38 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Nope, I find this to me a big issue in my 955, Very tight for my dog, they generally hang in the back seat.
That sucks. I never put the dogs in the older model so I was just going on feel and look from test drives with that opinion.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:41 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Freddy, fwiw, I just picked up a 957 (2nd gen) Cayenne. I don't have a lot of practical experience with it yet, so I can't really comment other than that we are going to make it work for 2 teenage kids, a German Shepherd and our 16 hour+ treks to Canada. Roof rack and trailer hitch will be utilized! The car is a daily driver so the fun factor won out over some practicality.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm waiting for Bill to chime in. He's got at least one German Shepherd in his 955.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I would have to put my dog in some kind of suit. The idea of long dog hair, slobber and general musk make me so averse in a nice luxury car. My dog goes in the beater lol.

The e class wagons are lonnnng seems like acres more space in the back.

Last edited by endless_corners; 02-01-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
I'm waiting for Bill to chime in. He's got at least one German Shepherd in his 955.
I'm slow today.....
and the day before, probably tomorrow too.

Originally Posted by gnat
1) Rear glass doesn't open so it's the whole tailgate or nothing. This can be annoying if you have a dog you don't want to jump out or something (hitch platform) blocking the tailgate from opening (which means whatever is at the back stays there).
This has been a complaint of mine since I first found out the 958's didn't open. This will kill it for me.
Originally Posted by gnat

3) High floors/low ceilings also impact packing/dogs. Standing on the back of the folded rear seats my dogs brush the ceiling. This also means you can't get as much in before you start blocking your rear view.

4) Another common annoyance for me in my search is that the rear seats don't fold entirely flat. Not having them side by side I think the Cayenne is better than BMW's X5, but it's still not remotely flat. Obviously this impacts your packing ability. The 955/957 do actually fold flat.
My 955 folds mostly flat and yes that was an issue I noted when I went to the 957 launch.
My German Shepherd is a small (for a GS) female (80 lbs and about 20 lbs has to be hair), she doesn't have an issue in the 955 but I doubt she would be happy in the 957/958.

Freedie, just reading what your needs are I think you would love a Cayenne except on the days you need to haul your people/stuff. I would suggest looking elsewhere.

My .02

Layla next to my previous GSD, he was 100 lbs. Picture makes it look like she's almost as tall as Thor but if you look at the shoulders she's a good bit smaller.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I think I would have to put my dog in some kind of suit. The idea of long dog hair, slobber and general musk make me so averse in a nice luxury car. My dog goes in the beater lol.

The e class wagons are lonnnng seems like acres more space in the back.
My E (2000) has more of an upright rear of the rear cabin (D pillar?). It's amazing how much crap I can get in there. However, the next gen E Wagens and later have a more angled pillar and don't have quite the same vertical space there (it's a 2% of the time issue so I don't care).

Another consideration is rear seat space. I'm a little over 6' and fit there without my legs hitting the front seat even with a circus freak show act height person in front. While I won't spend any time in the backseats (I prefer to be felated in the front seat ) I hate it when the seat gets constantly "kneed" while I drive. It's been a while since I've been in a cayenne but if memory serves, its a little tight on legroom. Of course it could just be faulty memory.

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs. MB E63 AMG Wagen